AMD athlon 64x2 5000+ upgrade

I have no understanding of cpu upgrades at all, other then i know i have to make sure my motherboard will be able to use it. So some help or info would be appreciated greatly.

Here is what i have now

Windows XP
AMD athlon 64x2 5000+ (two cpu's at 2.6ghz each)
500 watt power
ASUS M2A-VM motherboard.

Now i have two questions mainly.

Assuming i could find an upgrade with my board what would be the difference between what i have now vs something of similar speed but triple/quad core. When i looked at the list of cpu's my board could take none really seemed to be much faster, the fastest i saw being : Athlon IIX2 255(ADX255OCK23GM),3.1GHz,512KB,rev.C3,65W,SocketAM3 or Phenom IIX3 740 (HDZ740WFK3DGI),3.0GHz,95W,rev.C2,SocketAM3,Triple-Core

neither of which really seems that much better, other then adding extra cores. And of course all of em that i looked at were discontinued anyway. Am i just kind of out of luck unless i try to figure out overclocking or a flat out mother board upgrade?
8 answers Last reply
More about athlon 64x2 5000 upgrade
  1. get a phenom ii BE and a 7xx board
  2. I think that there are faster CPUs for your mobo like the Phenom II X4 945 as follows...remember to upgrade your BIOS as needed:

    http://ca.asus.com/en/Motherboards/AMD_AM2/M2AVM/#CPUS
  3. Phenom IIX4 945 is also discontinued is there a website or somewhere where i can try and buy discontinued parts?

    Also if i could find it would be that much of an improvement? Going from 2.6 to 3.0?
  4. lokiie1984 said:
    Phenom IIX4 945 is also discontinued is there a website or somewhere where i can try and buy discontinued parts?

    Also if i could find it would be that much of an improvement? Going from 2.6 to 3.0?


    going from 2.6 to 3.0
    i'm assuming you are talking about the HT link
    it only is better if you get a phenom that supports HT 3.0
  5. I mean speed (not sure what HT link means) my cpu now is a 2.6ghz where the Phenom IIx4 945 is a 3.0ghz. However its four cores if i looked at the right one. So i'm wondering if over all if it would be a visible improvement in speed or not really noticeable. Either way i don't know if i could find it anyway, every place i looked at had it listed as discontinued and out of stock.

    Would i be better off just learning how to overclock the cpu i have now?
  6. lokiie1984 said:
    I mean speed (not sure what HT link means) my cpu now is a 2.6ghz where the Phenom IIx4 945 is a 3.0ghz. However its four cores if i looked at the right one. So i'm wondering if over all if it would be a visible improvement in speed or not really noticeable. Either way i don't know if i could find it anyway, every place i looked at had it listed as discontinued and out of stock.

    Would i be better off just learning how to overclock the cpu i have now?


    i don't think your current cpu can be OC
  7. Phenom II 945 X4 is in stock here:

    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4615717&CatId=4431

    This is the CPU I would get if I had your board and wanted to upgrade.
  8. Z1NONLY said:
    Phenom II 945 X4 is in stock here:

    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4615717&CatId=4431

    This is the CPU I would get if I had your board and wanted to upgrade.


    Hmm 100 bucks would be a bit out of my range at the moment. Thinking i might just save up and then buy a motherboard and new cpu later down the road.

    Thanks for the link though.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Motherboards AMD