Bizarre slowdown suddenly on new game... heat related?

G

Evening all,

This weekend I've been indulging in a bit of Sleeping Dogs. My system is an i7-940 (s1366) @ 2.93 and I have an Asus 560 Ti. I realise this is no longer a power system and the processor is quite old.

Now this story is odd. I was playing away at this thing on high throughout the weekend on and off without problem. It ran really very well actually, better than expected. However, I was concerned about the heat since it's roasting in London right now and thought I'd be intelligent and use rivatuner to put the fan to 70% or so on the graphics card as the auto slider seems loath to go big on fan settings. Having had no problems, I thought better of this idea an hour later (I hadn't played the game inbetween by the way) and got rid of the various oc progs I had downloaded.

I then loaded up Sleeping Dogs and it ran, well, like a dog. Strange I thought, but must have been due to my messing around. I tried a multitude of things including system restores and decided one of the OC programs must have altered some setting somewhere (but all the default card settings were reading fine on Asus' own OC prog). In my rage I reinstalled W7 as I don't use this computer for work. Many hours later, I had it back and running. Load up Sleeping Dogs. Set to High. Off I go. Wait, what? It's STILL slower than it was. And the slowdown gets worse. I turned it to Low thinking maybe I'd been playing it on Low all along as the UI is a bit dodgy, but no... even Low runs slower than High used to and it's missing shadows etc...

The only conclusion therefore is that I must have borked something hardware wise in this heat?? It can't have been when I applied a manual fan setting as I DIDN'T use the game on anything but auto and it went downhill the first time I used it afterward.

The card is much newer than the processor so I'm concerned maybe it's the processor that is overheating. I will try HWMonitor etc but would appreciate some feedback in case I missed anything obvious?

Many thanks in advance.

nna2

Distinguished
first gen i7's are still very good chips.. im still running a 920, and it games well

do games other than sleeping dogs run poorly? what drivers are you running? do you monitor temps (i reccomend getting HWmonitor or coretemp if you dont)

G

I'm thinking the fact that HWMonitor and RealTemp are both reporting 99 degrees for each core constantly, occasionally peaking over into 100 while I'm simply using Chrome is a bad ... bad ... bad thing...

nna2

Distinguished
ehm... are you sure that not Fahrenheit? lol... if it's celsius that could be a bad thing, try re seating your CPU heat sync... see if that helps at all, and is your CPU throttling at all? because it should be hitting TJunction around that temp... which would explain the sluggishness

G

212F, so it reads bad either way... I think it must be throttling because as soon as one core hits 100 Celsius it immediately drops back to 99.

I haven't had any instability though so hopefully the processor is still healthy and I can just replace the heat sink if that's done for.

Many thanks for your reply.