Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Gaming PC problem

Last response: in Systems
Share
May 5, 2012 6:08:43 AM

A rather annoying performance issue has cropped up with my almost one year old gaming computer. For example, I get choppy/laggy (not extreme lag mind you) gameplay in Mass Effect 3 and Skyrim (as well as other games), but according to programs like FRAPS and MSI Afterburner I get normal temperatures and frames. Even stranger is I get the same choppy/laggy performance on low resolutions and video settings. I thought maybe my GPU crapped out and so I RMA'd said device. A friend was kind enough to lend me his GTX 570 while I waited for my new card, but I still noticed performance issues. Having just acquired my replacement card, I now notice distant objects and textures disappear and reappear in various games (as well as slowish loading textures). In Mirrors Edge, distant skyscrapers may flicker in and out of existence. Heck even Windows 7 seems to be running slower than usual. My RAM is fine as it passed an extensive all night Memtest86+ test. I also doubt anything is wrong with my motherboard or CPU as I suspect I would be seeing a lot of BSOD's. I have updated the mother boards BIOS before, but the updates have all been successful. Could my HDD be dying? Programs like SeaTools say it is good condition. Should I try re-installing Windows 7? And help/advice would be most appreciated as I am getting fed up with my computer. :sweat: 

Specs

CPU: i7-2600
GPU: Radeon HD 6970
MOBO: MSI P67A-G43 (B3)
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD5002AALX
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX
OS: Windows 7 64 bit

More about : gaming problem

May 5, 2012 6:34:54 AM

You must mean short spurts of lag? Does the audio buzz/stutter for the brief seconds of lag that you are experiencing?
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
May 5, 2012 10:19:50 AM

you need to look at background tasks that may be running. Anti Virus programs are usually the main cause of studder.
you can also defrag your hard drive to see if that helps.
m
0
l
Related resources
May 5, 2012 10:48:13 AM

Thanks for the help, but I have already tried disabling the anti-virus and hard drive defrag. My CPU is also fine with background tasks.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
May 5, 2012 11:13:20 AM

ok -- it may be the OPPOSITE of antivirus then.

download the following programs:

1) RKill
2) Malware Bytes
3) SuperAntiSpyware
3) Rogue Killer.

put them on a usb stick.

boot in safe mode with networking.
run RKill
when it finishes, run Malware Bytes, getting the latest database and run a full scan.
Whatevver it finds, do a check all and remove.

reboot to finish removal

run SuperAntiSpyware, removing all the cookies it finds

finally run RogueKiller, where you will want to run a scan, then delete, then short cuts fix.

this should remove any and all malware on your PC
m
0
l
May 5, 2012 9:42:29 PM

ScrewySqrl said:
ok -- it may be the OPPOSITE of antivirus then.

download the following programs:

1) RKill
2) Malware Bytes
3) SuperAntiSpyware
3) Rogue Killer.

put them on a usb stick.

boot in safe mode with networking.
run RKill
when it finishes, run Malware Bytes, getting the latest database and run a full scan.
Whatevver it finds, do a check all and remove.

reboot to finish removal

run SuperAntiSpyware, removing all the cookies it finds

finally run RogueKiller, where you will want to run a scan, then delete, then short cuts fix.

this should remove any and all malware on your PC


Thanks for your help, but that didn't do anything for me. One thing of note is my HDD is making a lot of minor clicking sounds (don't know if that is the best way to describe the sound).
m
0
l
May 5, 2012 9:47:07 PM

anxiousinfusion said:
You must mean short spurts of lag? Does the audio buzz/stutter for the brief seconds of lag that you are experiencing?


No audio problems, but in Skyrim, for example, smooth X-Y axis movement is impossible. The video will hang for a microsecond on an object and makes the video feedback appear choppy. This, once again, happens on all resolutions and video settings.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
May 6, 2012 5:01:53 AM

hdd clicking? it could be going bad, but that shouldn't affect the video card.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
May 6, 2012 7:01:21 AM

Reginthorn said:
No audio problems, but in Skyrim, for example, smooth X-Y axis movement is impossible. The video will hang for a microsecond on an object and makes the video feedback appear choppy. This, once again, happens on all resolutions and video settings.


sounds like Skyrim is buffering the up coming map and the HDD can't deliver performance wise or there are read errors and it is having to retry. are you seeing any errors in your event viewer system log?
m
0
l
May 6, 2012 7:47:45 AM

ScrewySqrl said:
hdd clicking? it could be going bad, but that shouldn't affect the video card.


Honestly I think the sounds coming from my HDD are normal.
m
0
l
May 6, 2012 7:52:46 AM

jerreddredd said:
sounds like Skyrim is buffering the up coming map and the HDD can't deliver performance wise or there are read errors and it is having to retry. are you seeing any errors in your event viewer system log?


Event viewer system log?
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
May 6, 2012 9:11:57 PM

Reginthorn said:
Event viewer system log?




play a game until it starts to studder then exit and:

Right click on "My Computer"
select "manage"
in the left pane expand the event viewer (click on arrow)
expand "windows logs"
click on "system"

use the slider bar on the right of the middle pane to scroll back in time

you are looking for any Red circles with a white "!" in them

or anything that might indicate an issue with the system.

you can also look in the application log for errors.

m
0
l
!