Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Relation b/w Processor, Motherboard and RAM

Last response: in CPUs
August 19, 2012 8:24:01 PM

u can only use memory as fast as what the CPU can handle
August 19, 2012 8:24:34 PM

How to choose a setup of CPU, motherboard and RAM in terms of frequency(Mhz) capacity of each.

Like, in Processor it was written that Memory Types Supported were 1333/1600 Mhz but on the contrary the motherboard supported over 2000 Mhz. So, when I'm choosing a RAM I've to choose keeping in mind the CPU's MAX Mhz or not.

Thanks in advance :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce: 

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
August 19, 2012 10:05:29 PM

Of course you have to look the cpu that how much memory (MHz) does it support then buy the memory according to the cpu compatibility of mhz. But there an feature called (XMP) extreme memory profile this let you to add those memory frequencies which the cpu doesn't support officially,
example: i5 2500k support 1333mhz officially but we can put more than that through the XMP, let say 1800mhz, 2000mhz with out any issue.

Motherboard tells you the max amount of ram it support 32GB and 64GB, LGA 1155 motherboards comes with the MAX frequencies of memory upto 2400(oc) , 2800(oc) mean these are overclocked frequencies.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
August 19, 2012 10:07:18 PM

normal DDR3 frequencies are 1333 and 1600 mean they are not overclocked.
Hope this help.
a c 448 à CPUs
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
August 19, 2012 10:17:22 PM

I believe AMD CPUs benefits more from faster RAM than Intel CPUs. Therefore, what type of RAM you buy should be dependent on if you want an AMD CPU or an Intel CPU.

Intel CPUs are no longer overclocked by increasing the frequency. It is now done by the clock multiplier. FSB no longer exists with Intel, instead it is now BCLK (base clock) and it is set to run at 100MHz. Everything on the motherboard uses the BCLK to operate which is why it is known as the base clock. Tweaking the BCLK can give a small overclock, but if the BCLK is too high (109MHz is considered extreme) then things starts to stop functioning or become unstable like the PCI-e slots and USB ports. Push the BCLK to high and things can become permanently damaged.
August 19, 2012 10:54:41 PM

xtreme5 said:
Of course you have to look the cpu that how much memory (MHz) does it support then buy the memory according to the cpu compatibility of mhz. But there an feature called (XMP) extreme memory profile this let you to add those memory frequencies which the cpu doesn't support officially,
example: i5 2500k support 1333mhz officially but we can put more than that through the XMP, let say 1800mhz, 2000mhz with out any issue.

Motherboard tells you the max amount of ram it support 32GB and 64GB, LGA 1155 motherboards comes with the MAX frequencies of memory upto 2400(oc) , 2800(oc) mean these are overclocked frequencies.

Asus Sabertooth Z77, Maximus V GENE or P8Z77-V does anyone of these have that XMP feature in it ?

Thanks everyone for all your useful input.

:bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce: 
a b à CPUs
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
August 19, 2012 11:18:44 PM

Yes, they all support xmp.
August 19, 2012 11:30:52 PM

Best answer selected by HardwareTwitch.
!