ATI 6870 Lags After I Updated Drivers

guerrilla123

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
Hi,

I have an ATI 6870 graphics card. I installed the card and used the drivers that came with it. Everything worked great and I got really good gameplay in all my games.

I then decided to update the drivers to the latest ones and the performance has been affected.

Now for some reason I get these lags. It is usually when something loads, like In world of warcraft if i turn a corner and there are a lot of people there, is drops to like 5fps until they all load and then catches upwith itself.

Or in League of legends when a teamfight kicks off it lags out then catches up with itself. It's not like it cant handle it as it runs fine after the fight has started, its just the moment it starts.

The strange thing is that even if I set everything to low I get the exact same lags in same places.

Is there some new setting in latest drivers I should change or a way to revert to the old drivers?

Thanks

beltzy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
That's odd. I would try completely uninstalling the video drivers, then reboot & download and run a program called "driver sweeper" (available free online) to make sure everything is cleared out. After doing that (and rebooting again) install the latest drivers again.

If you are still having the issue after trying the above, I'd THEN clean out the drivers and use the 2nd newest drivers from AMD. It should be a very quick and easy process and take less than 10-15 mins. Using the drivers that came on the disc with the card will do just fine for WoW and LoL, but you will be missing out on a lot of performance optimizations for newer games. Cheers.