I have Sandy Bridge, is Ivy Bridge MUCH! better?

ttg_Avenged

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2012
If so how much more, and is it worth selling my i5 2550k and my P8Z68V/PRO for a Z77 and 3770k or 3570k? Can I have some benchmarks? I don't care about the integrated graphics. I have a GTX 680 so no integrated :p. I could care less about improvement in Excel, IE, Chrome. I do care about, GAMING! How much of an impact please? Sys/ specs in sig.

jerreddredd

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010

Pezcore27

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
This is the same person that overclocked his 2500k with the stock cooler to 4.3 ghz and wondered if he did any damage to it...

and no you didnt have a 680 at that time when you posted pictures of your rig with a 560 in it claiming it was a 680...

Warmacblu

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
I may upgrade my X58 platform to Ivy Bridge because of the SATA III support. My SSD is only performing at about half the speeds it could reach. If you could sell your parts for a decent price then the amount of money you put into Ivy Bridge could be considerably less.

Are you kidding? You have the i5 2550k and you're thinking about the Ivy?...
I just bought a rig two days ago. I had the choice of Ivy or Sandy, and I went
with Sandy cuz it doesn't get too hot and overclock performance is better. Had
I bought the Ivy it would have cost $15 more, but I see no point to it.

If you have a Sandy Bridge CPU you should stick with it.

noideawhatimdoing

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012

Unlessss you have good CPU cooling. You make this sound like an obvious choice to go with Sandy, but I run with a H100 liquid cooling and ivy blasts on it. If you already have a i5 2550k then you probably don't need to upgrade, but it's fun to build a top of the line rig. IMO

ttg_Avenged

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2012
Cmon' guys, stop hating. This rig was supposed to be top of the line... sigh, I didn't get the i7 :( I SERIOUSLY should have... but really, only about 6% mre and non-gaming? LOL! Why even come out with Ivy besides much better PCIE 3.0 support.

What is top of the line today, is yesterday's news tomorrow. Get used to it.

Why should you have gotten the i7? For gaming, theres no advantage at all. Most games still don't use all of the physical cores of a CPU let alone the i7's theoretical ones, and don't expect that to happen anytime soon.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/07/18/pci_express_20_vs_30_gpu_gaming_performance_review/14

The Bottom Line

We have put forth a great effort to get to the bottom of the PCIe 2.0 versus PCIe 3.0 debate. We put a lot of time into testing performance and verifying that our data is accurate. Except for a couple of specific scenarios, most of the performance advantage had under PCIe 3.0 was well under 10%. This actually falls in-line with the kind of performance advantages one might expect using n Ivy Bridge CPU clock-for-clock compared to a Sandy Bridge CPU. The IPC can affect performance by as much as 4-7% in favor of Ivy Bridge easily. As you noticed, most of our data when we experienced an improvement on the Ivy Bridge system was in this range of improvements. There were a few specific cases of 11% in The Witcher 2 in one test, and 19% in Batman (for part of the game only) and 14% when we cranked up the settings to unplayable levels in Max Payne 3. For the most part, at the real-world highest playable settings we found playable, all performance advantages were under 10%.

With real-world gameplay performance advantages under 10% it doesn't change the actual gameplay experience. It in no way allows us to improve in-game quality settings nor does it give us any advantages over the PCIe 2.0 system. As we've stated previously in this evaluation, the technical performance advantages are "benchmarkable" but not relating to the gameplay experience.

It is also very clear from our testing that the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 receives an overall higher percentage of improvements with Ivy Bridge than the Radeon HD 7970 does. It is possible that similar to our past CPU frequency testing, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 GPUs are simply more sensitive to CPU clock speed and IPC, especially when you scale these upwards. We've done testing in the past that also shows NVIDIA GPUs are more sensitive to CPU clock speed than AMD GPUs are as you scale those up to dual and triple-GPUs. Therefore, we are not shocked to find that one brand might benefit with a technology more than another. It is an interesting result that we didn't expect when we started testing.

So do not fret if you are on a Sandy Bridge PCI Express 2.0 system, you aren't missing out on a bunch of performance compared to an Ivy Bridge PCI Express 3.0 system. Most of our readers will likely benefit from higher CPU overclocks on Sandy Bridge anyway if you are truly pushing the CPU clock and this alone will likely negate any "advantages" from PCIe 3.0 or Ivy Bridge IPC when it comes to real-world gaming scenarios. PCIe 3.0 is a great evolution, one day it may actually support a better gameplay experience compared to PCIe 2.0, but that day is not today.

I love it when tech sites are actually honest about these things. *pokes at Don Woligroski and his pretentious January Sub-$200 Gaming CPU article* You know me mal, I just can't help myself. :lol:

LOL, well maybe I should get the Malmental second opinion. I never really understood too well how to read dump files. I think its something related to heat from what I gather from google. I was playing MW3. I removed my overclock to see what happens.

As far as my 550 TI, meh, all I can say is if you're contributing to my video card upgrade fund, I'm accepting donations.

==================================================
Dump File : 071812-22495-01.dmp
Crash Time : 7/18/2012 4:57:19 PM
Bug Check String :
Bug Check Code : 0x00000101
Parameter 1 : 00000000`00000031
Parameter 2 : 00000000`00000000
Parameter 3 : fffff880`03164180
Parameter 4 : 00000000`00000002
Caused By Driver : nvlddmkm.sys
Caused By Address : nvlddmkm.sys+2c21ed
File Description :
Product Name :
Company :
File Version :
Processor : x64
Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+7f1c0
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\071812-22495-01.dmp
Processors Count : 4
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 7601
Dump File Size : 292,112
==================================================

No driver updates recently, was playing a torrented game at the time. Yea, I know not too bright, but I've played it quite a bit, and it always been stable.

Temps.. Ambient temps in the room the computers are in has increased.. Mainly because of the hot weather and inadequate window AC units. So its possible the HyperN520 isn't good enough to do the job. I ran Prime 95 it was definitely throttling itself at 62c after like 5 minutes. So that could be an issue.

RAM was running at 1485mhz (its 1600mhz rated), running at 1378 currently.

ramj.png

Edit: Its 2 of these

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233218

I'm a noob overclocker. All I did was push up the reference clock, nada anything else. I know the RAM wasn't the best choice, I actually drove 3 hours to MicroCenter in Rockville to get it, because it was the only place that had 8GB modules in stock at the time. You know what they say, live and learn? Hindsight of course I would have done differently on the RAM.