Sony Vaio PCG-7R2M

Aradon

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
I recently decided to re-install windows on my Sony Vaio. Unfortunately I never checked what the graphics card was before hand, and now I cannot find the drivers for it. Currently its stuck with some generic driver that limits the resolution to 1024x768. I even tried a third party application callled "Driver Reviver" and still no luck. Please Help!

SonyListens

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Good afternoon Aradon,

This is Kevin Krause with the Sonylistens team. I am very sorry to read about the problems that you are having trying to reinstall your graphics driver. If you call our VAIO support team at 1-888-476-6972 they will be more than happy to try and help you.

Thank you,

Kevin Krause

Sonylistens Team

Aradon

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
I tried the local line (Greece) but I couldn't get through, but I actually figured it out eventually. For future reference this is what I did:

I used the Auto-Detect Feature on the Vaio US Support site (here: http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/select-system.pl?DIRECTOR=DRIVER&PRODTYPE=24) and found out the model number is actually VGN-FE31H, and then found the drivers on the Eu site. I don't get why the model number on the back of the notebook would be wrong but still, that did the trick (I wouldn't mind an answer on that if you're actually somehow related to sony).

Aradon

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012

I figured it does that after this incident. I actually used one such software but at first I didn't know I could just manually install the driver from windows device manager using the .inf file. When the software detected it was actually GeForce 7400 Go I downloaded the drivers from the official nvidia site but durring the installation I would get a "no compatible hardware" error. So after I got my hands on the Xp drivers from the sony site and had to install them using the .inf file(there was no installation package) I though, why not try this on win7 with the actual 64-bit drivers instead of forcing myself to use XP. By the way, why doesn't an application like driver reviver use the same method as, say, speccy to detect the hardware instead of looking for an already existing driver?

Aradon

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012

My question was more along the lines of "Why doesn't Driver Reviver integrate that feature, so in cases like mine it would detect the hardware even if there was no pre-existing driver?". I used another software similar to unknown device identifier whose name I cannot recall.