Sign in with
Your question

New Build - Detailed - PC Won't Power Up Inside Case

Last response: in Systems
May 5, 2012 6:38:53 AM

Hey guys. A couple days ago I finally received all the parts I ordered for my new machine. All parts were new in box and left untouched until it came time for installation. List of parts below:

-Case: Corsair Carbide 500R
-Mobo: ASUS Sabertooth Z77
-CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K
-RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)
-SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB
-GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 SC+
-PSU: Corsair TX750 V2
-DVD: Sony Optiarc 24X SATA DVD Burner
-Sound: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion
-Cooler: Corsair H100
-Thermal compound: Arctic Silver 5

After having read the installation portion of the motherboard manual, I assembled everything as instructed, and in the same fashion I had for my last few PCs. When I flipped the switch on the PSU, a green light was illuminated on the motherboard to indicate that it was receiving power. Though, when I hit the power switch on the case nothing happened. The green LED stayed illuminated, but nothing powered up. No fans spinning, none of the other LEDs lighting up, no beeps, nothing. That's when I began troubleshooting as detailed below:

-Double checked front panel connections to the motherboard; everything was correct (pretty easy with the Q connector they provide).
-Double checked that I wired power to the CPU (8-pin), motherboard (24-pin), and GPU (pair of 6-pin).
-Made sure the RAM, GPU, and sound card were fully seated.
-Double checked that I had inserted the RAM into the correct slots per motherboard manual.
-Tried all RAM configurations, both single and dual stick.
-Re-seated the CPU, checked thermal compound application and socket pins in the process.
-Ensured that all fans were plugged in correctly, including CPU fan.
-Checked for renegade screws on and under the motherboard.
-Used jumper to reset CMOS.
-Tried booting with integrated video.
-Disassembled all parts and checked that no extra standoffs were present. Only used the 9 as instructed in the motherboard manual (they were actually pre-installed in the case).
-Performed paperclip test on PSU, worked fine.

Here are the 9 standoffs used:

Notes: I wore an anti-static wrist strap throughout the whole process. When installing the cooler, I removed the pre-applied thermal grease with ArctiClean, and applied the Arctic Silver as instructed on their site (line).

After a night's sleep, I began assembling the parts piece by piece on top of a few cardboard boxes, powering on the computer (successfully) at each step.

1) Started with just the motherboard, CPU, cooler, RAM, and PSU:

-Power LED:

2) Added the SSD:

3) Added the DVD drive:

4) Added the sound card and panel:

5) Added the GPU and switched over from integrated:

6) Added all case fans and front panel connectors:

-Front panel LEDs functioning:

Notes: I had been powering it on at each step with the case's power switch. I started with none of the other front panel wires connected, until step 7. The power/HDD LEDs were functioning correctly, as well as all of the case fans.

So it looks like all of the hardware works just fine. After all of this, I reassembled the system inside the case and was still unable to power it up. At that point, I removed the top of the case, and had a look down the back of the motherboard with a flashlight:

Probably not able to see in the picture, but I wasn't able to spot anything touching the case tray other than the standoffs. I replaced the case's top, removed all parts, and reassembled outside of the case a second time as a sanity check. Everything worked fine outside of the case.

That brings us to where I am currently. I'm pretty exhausted so I'm off to bed. In the morning, my plan is to head to Fry's and either find some non-metallic standoffs, or non-metallic washers to place in-between the screws and the motherboard. I'll also try to install the motherboard without the I/O shield. Outside of that, I'm kind of at a loss on how to proceed. Hopefully I've just overlooked something that you guys can point out.

Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated. :) 
I'm at my wit's end! :pt1cable: 
May 5, 2012 7:55:28 AM

So to sum up you did everything that anyone could possibly do to test every possible solution and then to test it outside the case and it works but when you do it inside the case it doesn't work. Correct? Check your standoffs again and look at the diagram closely not to over look anything.

Sick build btw, it's taking me about a year to do something similar.
May 5, 2012 5:23:50 PM

Suave145 said:
So to sum up you did everything that anyone could possibly do to test every possible solution and then to test it outside the case and it works but when you do it inside the case it doesn't work. Correct? Check your standoffs again and look at the diagram closely not to over look anything.

Sick build btw, it's taking me about a year to do something similar.

At least everything I could think of, yeah. I hadn't actually thought of breadboarding it until I came across the beautifully written troubleshooting guide here. I just looked over the diagram in the motherboard manual again, and it looks like all 9 standoffs are in their correct places. I'm headed to Fry's now to get those standoffs/washers and then try those. I'll try it without the I/O shield on as well, and let you guys know what happens.

Thanks! Last year was actually my first full year of working a career job after graduation, so I actually had a substantial tax return. I'd say I put it to good use. :) 
Related resources
May 5, 2012 5:46:29 PM

Unplug everything from the motherboard and test piece by piece, till every fan starts and gpu, try without ram to test beeps, wouldn't suggest unplugging cpu fan.
May 5, 2012 10:29:10 PM

So I couldn't find any nylon standoffs, but ended up grabbing a pile of cardboard washers. I installed the motherboard into the case using washers at each mounting point, both between the motherboard/screw, and motherboard/standoff. And.... it lives! Well, at least with just the CPU, RAM, and cooler installed. I'll be adding the rest of the parts after I grab a bite to eat; hoping for the best! :) 
May 6, 2012 1:59:46 AM

Got all the parts in and everything is working fine! Thanks for getting involved Suave! :D 
May 6, 2012 3:07:27 AM

Card board washers? never herd of just googled & lol'd.. No problem. Whatever works man.
!