Sign in with
Your question
Solved

PSU - What is burnt here?

Last response: in Components
August 19, 2012 9:13:44 PM

Hello,

I think that something got burnt in my CODEGEN 400W Power Supply.

Do you know what is it? Do you think I can replace it?

I leave you some pictures:

Thank you!

More about : psu burnt

a b ) Power supply
August 19, 2012 9:26:02 PM

Hi :) 

If an amateur repairs a psu ...you get a fire...

Bin it and buy a new one...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 19, 2012 9:26:50 PM

That's a diode.

Diodes are cheap, but you are probably better off just replacing the power supply.
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
August 19, 2012 9:28:31 PM

that something is your codegen psu, as brett says, dump it and buy a new one. quality brand this time!
m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 19, 2012 9:30:37 PM

Don't risk damage to the rest of the board, keep the fan (a useful spare), and as Brett says bin it and get a new one.
m
l
August 19, 2012 9:51:45 PM

buy a new one any seasonic built would be my suggestion
m
l
August 19, 2012 10:38:54 PM

Those are some impressive numbers quoted on the side there, if it was working I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable using it!
m
l
a c 76 ) Power supply
August 19, 2012 10:42:41 PM

womble said:
Those are some impressive numbers quoted on the side there, if it was working I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable using it!

Yeah, like 10A (120W) on the 12V rail for a supposedly 400W unit. :lol: 
m
l
a c 76 ) Power supply
August 19, 2012 10:44:55 PM

Even adding together what it says it can supply, it's still only a 259.6W unit. Absolutely pathetic.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 19, 2012 10:47:47 PM

What do you expect, its probably a cheapo, all cheapos are like that and you should know that, a diode even burned out, thats even worse...
m
l
a c 259 ) Power supply
August 20, 2012 12:02:56 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Yeah, like 10A (120W) on the 12V rail for a supposedly 400W unit. :lol: 

That honestly might be the worst rated power supply I have ever seen!

Op stick with Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling, XFX, Silverstone, Enermax, OCZ and Antec. You are lucky when that POS died it did not take other parts with it.
m
l
August 20, 2012 12:33:42 AM

not all ocz are good just stick with XFX,Seasonic,Corsair TX/HX/AX, PC Power and Cooling.BTW all XFX are built by seasonic
m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 20, 2012 12:38:34 AM

anort3 said:
That honestly might be the worst rated power supply I have ever seen!

Op stick with Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling, XFX, Silverstone, Enermax, OCZ and Antec. You are lucky when that POS died it did not take other parts with it.

Unfortunately he doesnt know yet if it took out anything else ... :( 

m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 20, 2012 12:41:34 AM

Yup, that Codegen thing definitely looks like a pathetic affair that is not worth repairing even if it might only cost $2 in parts, the ratings are completely stupid.

BTW, looking at the board layout (rightmost diodes on the heatsink lined up with the yellow wires), I'm guessing the weakest diodes in that PSU happen to be on the 12V rail which typically has the highest load in modern PCs.
m
l
August 20, 2012 12:45:04 AM

InvalidError said:
Yup, that Codegen thing definitely looks like a pathetic affair that is not worth repairing even if it might only cost $2 in parts, the ratings are completely stupid.
i totally agree :( 
m
l
a c 259 ) Power supply
August 20, 2012 12:52:29 AM

regina_49 said:
not all ocz are good just stick with XFX,Seasonic,Corsair TX/HX/AX, PC Power and Cooling.BTW all XFX are built by seasonic

Pre 2007 OCZ had quality issues. Post 2007 and since Sirtec and Great Wall became their OEMs all models currently available are good to vey high quality. The old FSP and Topower models were the problems.
m
l
August 20, 2012 1:15:23 AM

anort3 said:
Pre 2007 OCZ had quality issues. Post 2007 and since Sirtec and Great Wall became their OEMs all models currently available are good to vey high quality. The old FSP and Topower models were the problems.
oh o.k. thanks for info my bother had told me OCZ average PSU's... they aren't great, but they aren't bad, just your average middle of the road PSU and some are just flat out horrible hehehe.

m
l
August 20, 2012 1:23:23 AM

why must brett have to always be sooooo negative then try to make it ok by saying HI and all the best?
m
l
August 20, 2012 1:26:08 AM

I think hes meaning all the best as in despite whatever horrible is going on he wishes you all the best but i won't speak for him so i will leave that for him to answer hehehe.
m
l
a c 140 ) Power supply
August 20, 2012 1:30:45 AM

cbrunnem said:
why must brett have to always be sooooo negative then try to make it ok by saying HI and all the best?

That's just Brett (with two Ts) being Brett... :lol: 

@OP
The cost of replacing that low end PSU with one of the same quality, would probably equal the cost of the diodes and the solder. ;)  Time for a new one.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 20, 2012 1:33:55 AM

cbrunnem said:

Not negative..honest...we see the results of blown PSU`s every day in my shops.... and at best its around 50% that its JUST the psu... :( 

.............................................................................................................................................

Regarding the Hi :)  and the All the best Brett :) ... i have done this on Forums for well over 20 years so am hardly going to change now, and personally I do not think a smile or a little politeness does any harm :) 

m
l
August 20, 2012 1:50:02 AM

Great PSU great price don't risk your precious rig to any cheapo junk psu anymore please.. you'll thank yourself in the long run SeaSonic M12II 520 Bronze 520W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... or.......
XFX Core Edition PRO550W (P1-550S-XXB9) 550W ATX12V 2.2 & ESP12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
JonnyGuru.com Recommended & KitGuru.com Award Winner http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
August 20, 2012 2:05:49 AM

Wait!Please...tell us your current system specs then we can recommend the correct psu for you
m
l
August 20, 2012 2:09:52 AM

A couple of capacitors on the secondary side are obviously fried. One of the caps is melted so much that it is barely recognizable as what USED TO BE a capacitor.

But your power supply was crap quality to begin with. It is silly to try to repair it. Replace it.

In general, it is a bad idea to open up a power supply anyway, unless you really know what you are doing. Even if a power supply is unplugged, it can still have lethal voltages inside of it. In other words, if you don't know what you are doing, it can KILL you.
Or in other words...if you have to ask what is damaged, you shouldn't be in there poking around anyway.

I would have advised you to never open up a PC's power supply, as it is dangerous to do so.

But as it was already opened, thought I'd answer the question anyway.

Bottom line though is that you need a brand new power supply.

m
l
August 20, 2012 2:14:27 AM

womble said:

Yeah, I noticed that too! Based on the specs, I'd say it's a poor quality 150W power supply, labeled as a poor quality 400W power supply.

10A at +12V? That's 120W. A decent power supply will be rated a little higher than what it can deliver at +12V. So if it was a decent power supply, it would be rated about 150W???
m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 20, 2012 3:19:40 AM

davec80 said:
A couple of capacitors on the secondary side are obviously fried. One of the caps is melted so much that it is barely recognizable as what USED TO BE a capacitor.

Not at all, all his capacitors look like they are in good-as-new shape.

You mistook the shrink-wrap on a pair of ferrite bar inductors for melted capacitor labels. You can clearly see the enameled copper wire inside the shrink-wrap in one of the inductors. The black protrusion on the other "burnt capacitor" is the ferrite core from that inductor sticking out of the shrink-wrap and the bulge is where the inductor wire bends where it starts winding around the core just like it does on the other inductor where this bend is visible.
m
l
August 20, 2012 7:16:15 PM

regina_49 said:
Wait!Please...tell us your current system specs then we can recommend the correct psu for you

Hello guys, thank you all for your replies!

These are my system characteristics:

- Motherboard: Intel Desktop D865perl (no integrated VGA)
- Microprocessor: Pentium4 (3.2GHz/800MHz/1MB)
- Video Card: GeForce FX5200 (256 Mb)
- RAM: two 512Mb banks of DDR400 (in dual channel configuration)
- PSU: CODEGEN 400W nominal (259W real)
- primary IDE master Hard Disk: Maxtor 80Gb
- secondary IDE master DVD reader/writer: SONY
- secondary IDE slave DVD reader: Toshiba
- PCB board indicating CPU, HDD and VGA temperatures (located in the front panel)

What is the minimum Power Supply I need?

Thank you!!!
m
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
August 20, 2012 7:35:06 PM

What is your budget? Are you in the US or do you have a site that we can look at and make recommendations?
m
l
August 20, 2012 7:44:02 PM

Rugger said:
What is your budget? Are you in the US or do you have a site that we can look at and make recommendations?

I live in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

I have... say a 30 USD budget.
m
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
August 20, 2012 7:48:48 PM

Do you have a website that we can take a look at...hard to give recommendations if we don't know what's available at waht price. Basd on the above you don't need more than a decent 250-300W PSU. ;) 
m
l
August 20, 2012 7:51:50 PM

Rugger said:
Do you have a website that we can take a look at...hard to give recommendations if we don't know what's available at waht price. Basd on the above you don't need more than a decent 250-300W PSU. ;) 

Yes:

http://www.mercadolibre.com.ar/

it is like eBay
m
l
August 20, 2012 8:10:07 PM

regina_49 said:
oh o.k. thanks for info my bother had told me OCZ average PSU's... they aren't great, but they aren't bad, just your average middle of the road PSU and some are just flat out horrible hehehe.

OCZ has several lines of psu. the zx is pretty much on par with the corsair psus. just avoid the zs, those are the average ones. ZT isn't bad either. main difference between the zx and the zt is the efficiency.

As for the OP, http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...

Thats pretty much the same thing, those diodes are not reliable at all, you could replace them, but they would just burn out again, and agian ... and eventually fry everything in the computer.
m
l

Best solution

a c 158 ) Power supply
August 21, 2012 11:33:07 AM

Apparently I suck at finding good deals on that site and/or the prices of decent PSUs in Argentina are very high. The best deal that I found is this Antec VP450: http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-430252542-fuent... It's more PSU than you really need but all of the 300-400W PSUs that I saw were used and low quality.
a b ) Power supply
August 21, 2012 12:24:27 PM

noob2222 said:
Thats pretty much the same thing, those diodes are not reliable at all, you could replace them, but they would just burn out again, and agian...

From the look of it, the diodes are laid out in a way that should be compatible with TO220 or similar package so if OP decided to repair, he could look at a beefier options in such a package. TO220 (or whatever might be compatible with the hole spacing) would have 5-10X better heat transfer to the HSF and likely allow picking much better diodes.

Depending on how badly the OEM cut corners, I suppose they could have gone as far as using ultrafast or maybe simply fast rectifiers instead of Sccottky ones, in which case an upgrade would also come with lower forward loss and faster recovery too.

I'm still amazed that a PSU manufacturer opted to use axial discrete diodes on a 10A 12V rail after doing "the right thing" on 3.3V and 5V rails that are rated only 5A higher. I would not be surprised if the PSU was running the axial diodes beyond their repetitive peak forward current rating.
m
l
August 21, 2012 1:14:17 PM

Rugger said:
Apparently I suck at finding good deals on that site and/or the prices of decent PSUs in Argentina are very high. The best deal that I found is this Antec VP450: http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-430252542-fuent... It's more PSU than you really need but all of the 300-400W PSUs that I saw were used and low quality.

Yes, you are right. Here in Argentina, electronics are bad and expensive, since we import it all and have no national production.
The PSU you suggest me is very good, but a bit out of my budget...
I'll see what I can find. I don't really care of that PC, I just want it to run.
m
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
August 21, 2012 1:33:20 PM

Just post some links of possibilities and we can make a recommendation from what you are willing to spend. ;) 
m
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
August 21, 2012 5:29:41 PM

Based on those options I'd say it's a guessing game...none of them are likely to be good quality. I'd be more likely to choose based on the retailer than the product and i'd be looking for someone who has sold a lot of parts and has a great reputation.
m
l
August 22, 2012 2:09:44 AM

Rugger said:
Based on those options I'd say it's a guessing game...none of them are likely to be good quality. I'd be more likely to choose based on the retailer than the product and i'd be looking for someone who has sold a lot of parts and has a great reputation.

Thank you.

What minimum amperage I need for every DC output?

I don't know if the amperes of the PSU I'm searching are high enough...
m
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
August 22, 2012 12:02:35 PM

I'd want 18-20A on the 12V rail and wouldn't worry too much about the others.

Edit: I never recommend using low quality PSUs because when they fail it can be a really nasty affair. If the mfr didn't use PSU protections then it can take out other components or worse...lead to a fire. Do what you have to do, but I'd save up a little money and get that VP450...it can be used in future PC builds.
m
l
August 22, 2012 12:44:04 PM

Rugger said:
I'd want 18-20A on the 12V rail and wouldn't worry too much about the others.

Edit: I never recommend using low quality PSUs because when they fail it can be a really nasty affair. If the mfr didn't use PSU protections then it can take out other components or worse...lead to a fire. Do what you have to do, but I'd save up a little money and get that VP450...it can be used in future PC builds.

Thank you so much for your suggestion. I know I look like a miser guy, but you have to know that I have found this PC in the street and I don't want to spend much money on it, since I already have a Laptop and a Netbook at home and a i7 PC at work (which I use everyday). So, my life is full of computers and I don't really need this one. It is just for hobby that I'm willing to make it work.

Anyway, what did you mean with "If the mfr didn't use PSU protections"? What does mfr stand for? Manufacturer? How do I verify that a PSU has these protections you are talking about?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 22, 2012 1:04:00 PM

ZioAlfredo said:
How do I verify that a PSU has these protections you are talking about?

The only 100% certain way is to reverse-engineer the PSU since many PSU manufacturers put stuff on their specs that aren't in the actual device for one reason or another, either fraudulently (common in knock-off PSUs) or due to forgetting to include some changes after an engineering change.
m
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
August 22, 2012 1:37:40 PM

Mfr does stand for manufacturer.

+1 to Invalid on the protections..basically you can't do it easily.

Glad that I could help! Hopefully you get a decent PSU or at least the retailer supports you after the sale!
m
l
August 29, 2012 2:13:53 AM

Best answer selected by ZioAlfredo.
m
l
September 5, 2012 3:19:35 AM

Guys, this is my new (cheap) PSU:

And this is what happened to the old PSU cooler!

Pay attention at the "pressure-thin-connector" I've made!!! (thanks to my girlfriend's shaving tweezers...)

Thank you all for all your support!!

Now the good old PC is up and running!!!! :bounce: 
m
l
!