Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Upgrading/Changing! Which should I get? No budget!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 29, 2012 9:25:03 AM

Hey everybody!
So, a few months ago I got an Alienware (Biggest mistake ever), and it never really worked. Both of my video cards are having hardware failures. Alienware told me they would send a technician over in about a week, and I could choose if I wanted a new type of video card.
So, which of these should I get and why: (I currently have two Radeon HD 5970 2GB running together in crossfire)

• AMD Radeon HD 6990
  • Nvidia GeForce GTX 590
  • Nvidia GeForce GTX 580
  • Or any other card that you suggest?

Also, please note I will be putting these inside my Alienware which is cooled down by fans, so let me know if any of these cards NEED to be cooled down by water (I read somewhere that the GTX590 did)
    And lastly, when you tell me which I should get, please tell me if I should get it single or Sli (I want this to have as much or more power than my two Radeon HD 5970s 2GB)

Thank you very much!
    Have a great day!

PS: I HATE AMD with all my heart, but I'll still get an AMD card if it's really worth it.
  • More about : upgrading changing budget

February 29, 2012 9:40:40 AM

I have a Radeon HD 7950 and love it. If budget is not an issue I would go with 2x HD 7970.
    Score
    February 29, 2012 9:46:02 AM

Rufio1983 said:
    I have a Radeon HD 7950 and love it. If budget is not an issue I would go with 2x HD 7970.

Alright thanks. I'll look into it.
    Score
    Related resources
    a b U Graphics card
    February 29, 2012 9:52:59 AM

Of the cards you listed, the 590 is the most powerful. In a properly cooled case you shouldn't need water cooling.
    Score
    February 29, 2012 9:56:02 AM

inanition02 said:
    Of the cards you listed, the 590 is the most powerful. In a properly cooled case you shouldn't need water cooling.

Should I get a 590 or two 590s? I want this to be more powerful than my two Radeon HD 5970 2GBs.
    Score

Best solution

February 29, 2012 10:26:25 AM

Hi fofogogo23!

The 590 is not the most powerfull by default. According to tests it depends heavily on which type of games you play f.ex.

Also if you are planning to run a multi-monitor system the 6990 outperforms the 590:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-590-dua...

Im not saying that one card is better than another, it comes down to what you are going to use it for. Both cards will outperform the 5790x2 if you use them in CF/SLI.
    Also you should be aware that the nvidia cards aren't as durable for oc as one would like:

"Starting with the 267.91 drivers and release 270 drivers, NVIDIA has disabled overvolting on the GTX 590 entirely. This is likely a consequence of several highly-publicized incidents where GTX 590 cards died as a result of overvolting. Although it's unusual to see a card designed to not be overclockable, clearly this is where NVIDIA intends to be."

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4239/nvidias-geforce-gtx-...

Also see this test:
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/graphics/display/gefor...

Hope this info helps :) 

Kindest regards

DarkMatter

February 29, 2012 10:46:08 AM

DarkMatterTrace said:
    Hi fofogogo23!

The 590 is not the most powerfull by default. According to tests it depends heavily on which type of games you play f.ex.

Also if you are planning to run a multi-monitor system the 6990 outperforms the 590:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-590-dua...

Im not saying that one card is better than another, it comes down to what you are going to use it for. Both cards will outperform the 5790x2 if you use them in CF/SLI.
    Also you should be aware that the nvidia cards aren't as durable for oc as one would like:

"Starting with the 267.91 drivers and release 270 drivers, NVIDIA has disabled overvolting on the GTX 590 entirely. This is likely a consequence of several highly-publicized incidents where GTX 590 cards died as a result of overvolting. Although it's unusual to see a card designed to not be overclockable, clearly this is where NVIDIA intends to be."

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4239/nvidias-geforce-gtx-...

Also see this test:
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/graphics/display/gefor...

Hope this info helps :) 

Kindest regards

DarkMatter

Thanks for your detailed answer DarkMatter!
    This was very helpful.

I'm still leaning towards the 590/580 just because of how much I dislike my current AMD GPUs, and I'm scared any other AMDs will dissapoint.
    I don't ever OC my cards, so the 590 not being overclockable doesn't really mean anything to me.
    I'd like to get 2x GTX 590s but I'm not sure how much cooling that'll need.
    My current cards run at around 70-80 degrees, but I'll be getting new fans along with the graphics cards.

Thanks again!
    -Charles
    Score
    February 29, 2012 11:58:17 AM

DarkMatterTrace said:
    Well if you are going for a SLI configuration you can't go wrong with the 2x590.

If your case has proper vent and you won't be doing oc you are good to go sir :) 

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-590-sli-revie...

Happy to be of help!

- DarkMatter

Alright, thank you so much!
    I'm going with SLI GTX 590s.
    Just one more question, if I used to have AMD cards, and I put in nVidia cards, will that cause any issues?
    Obviously I'll uninstall all AMD drivers/bios etc. beforehand, but will putting a nVidia card in screw anything up?
    I heard somewhere that the motherboard only supported certain cards or something? Not sure.

Thanks!
    Score
    February 29, 2012 1:08:10 PM

Hi fofogogo23

Sry for the late reply. Well depends on the motherboard you are using.
    If it supports SLI it should be in the specs.

Please write your specifications on motherboard + cpu and I'll be happy to look it up if you want.

Hehe I wish I had a gaming system with 2x590 :D 
    Score
    a b U Graphics card
    February 29, 2012 1:25:00 PM

Here is the Solution, If your Motherboard Supports SLI, get 2xGTX 590's, if your mobo only supports Crossfire, get Crossfire 6990's. Plus to add on a side not, if you don't want AMD, Just get a GTX 590. you only need 1 card really
    Score
    February 29, 2012 1:27:36 PM

DarkMatterTrace said:
    Hi fofogogo23

Sry for the late reply. Well depends on the motherboard you are using.
    If it supports SLI it should be in the specs.

Please write your specifications on motherboard + cpu and I'll be happy to look it up if you want.

Hehe I wish I had a gaming system with 2x590 :D 

No problem!
    I have no idea what motherboard I have though... it doesn't say on the "Components" section of my Dell account...
    And the CPU is an intel i7 (Not sure exactly which) ._.
    Score
    February 29, 2012 1:35:51 PM

Ah ok but lets find out then :) 

Download this program and install it. It might need admin rights to run on some systems.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/pc-wizard.html

When the programs starts click the icon on left side that says "mainboard" when you mouse over it.
    There should be a line saying what mainboard is like f.ex. :

Mainboard : Asus P8Z68-V GEN3

Also further below you will find a line saying "nVidia SLI ready" where it will mark yes or no.

Please copy those two lines and post them, just so we can be sure.

EDIT: forgot to say.. dont install the askbar it wants to install at some point. The program is free and that bar it wants to install is some advert that no one needs imo (its not malware and you can uninstall it if you by accident installed it).
    Score
    February 29, 2012 2:01:38 PM

Don't hate a company with all your heart because of 1 experience, especially when that could be influenced by the company you bought the pc from, or by limited knowledge. What are you going to do if you get 1 or 2 Nvidia cards & still have problems? You can't hate both companies or you'll have no options.
    Score
    February 29, 2012 8:53:53 PM

Rufio1983 said:

Just out of interest, which version did you go for?
    Score
    March 2, 2012 3:29:20 PM

Sorry for the late reply, I was away. I ended up getting two GTX 590s and I'm loving it so far! Thanks everybody!
    Score
    March 2, 2012 3:29:56 PM

Best answer selected by fofogogo23.
    Score
    !