Solved

What type of Power Supply should I get?

I purchased this case/power supply combo a few months ago (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811322045http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811322045). The thermostat on the front of the case goes red whenever I play any major video games (Batman Arkham City being the biggest culprit). I'm guessing it's because I don't have a strong enough power supply. Does anyone know what type of power supply this case will take and do you have any recommendations? Here is my build right now:

AMD Phenom X6
16gb DDR3 Ram
1gb ATI HD5770 Video Card
Six USB Devices
Two case fans

Thanks!
15 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about what type power supply
  1. There's no power supply included in that. But PSUs anyway don't cause overheating.
  2. The real culprit should be your graphics card.
  3. arizero said:
    I purchased this case/power supply combo a few months ago (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811322045http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811322045). The thermostat on the front of the case goes red whenever I play any major video games (Batman Arkham City being the biggest culprit). I'm guessing it's because I don't have a strong enough power supply. Does anyone know what type of power supply this case will take and do you have any recommendations? Here is my build right now:

    AMD Phenom X6
    16gb DDR3 Ram
    1gb ATI HD5770 Video Card
    Six USB Devices
    Two case fans

    Thanks!

    The psu in that thing is a low quality doorstop
    8 amps on the single 12v rail :lol: :lol: :lol:
    I'm surprised the system runs at all

    You probably paid less for the case/psu combo than this, but you were had
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371034
  4. The thermostat on the front must be connected to a probe. Depending where the probe is may be that you are getting high temps. Where in the manual did it say to put the probe? If it's for the hard drive bay then putting it on the proccessor would give a "Red" reading.

    You should use software temp monitoring (Real Temp for proccessors, Afterburner for graphics cards) etc) to get accurate readings. FinneousPJ is right that a CPU does not cause massive over heating, but it may be that it is running at 90-100% capactity and blowing hot air in your case (and maybe at the probe).

    Do a bit of testing then you will know what you need to upgrade, if at all.
  5. Can I get any type of power supply, or should I be looking for a certain type for my size case?

    geekapproved said:
  6. They are all standard widths unless stated (e.g. low profile).
    But I think your waisting your money without testing your system first.
  7. Best answer
    bleechy said:

    But I think your waisting your money without testing your system first.

    His power supply has a single 8amp 12v rail



    His specs are pushing it idle.
    The card uses 6-7+ amps when gaming

    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/HD_5770/28.html

    http://ht4u.net/reviews/2009/amd_ati_radeon_hd_5700/index9.php

    No need to test the psu to know that's he's overloading the hell out of it when gaming.
  8. Okay delluser1, what would you recommend as a power supply that would fit my case? Thanks!
  9. That's a massive leap from what you currently have, and yes it would work
    The EA430 is a better deal if you're on a budget
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371034
  10. The one I posted had a $40 rebate so it was only $23 or so. Thanks for the help everyone!!
  11. Best answer selected by arizero.
  12. arizero said:
    The one I posted had a $40 rebate so it was only $23 or so. Thanks for the help everyone!!

    Ah, didn't notice the rebate
  13. I always think it is worth testing components first, he did not have a problem apart from ambient heat which may have not been an issue at all to anything in the case, just a poorley placed probe.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Power Supplies Cases Systems Product