re-using original xbox hdd as a portable

Last response: in Video Games
June 25, 2005 5:24:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.xbox.discussion (More info?)

hi all, can this be done. If so what do i need. I have the original hard
drive sitting in a drawer so i thought i could use it as a portable hard
drive. all help appreciated...thank shaun
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 10:18:00 PM

shaun cooper wrote:
> hi all, can this be done. If so what do i need. I have the original hard
> drive sitting in a drawer so i thought i could use it as a portable hard
> drive. all help appreciated...thank shaun

The xbox HDD is just a standard 5" internal drive -- If you have it
unlocked you can put it in a PC and reformat it to your needs. Perhaps
it would be good for you to explain how you would intend to use it.
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 2:39:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.xbox.discussion (More info?)

hi, I wanna use it exactly as I said, as a portable hard drive. So I can
pick it up and use it at work and bring it home and transfer stuff to my pc
or xbox. Using if possible USB....Thx shaun
"Grinder" <grinder@no.spam.maam.com> wrote in message
> shaun cooper wrote:
> > hi all, can this be done. If so what do i need. I have the original hard
> > drive sitting in a drawer so i thought i could use it as a portable hard
> > drive. all help appreciated...thank shaun
>
> The xbox HDD is just a standard 5" internal drive -- If you have it
> unlocked you can put it in a PC and reformat it to your needs. Perhaps
> it would be good for you to explain how you would intend to use it.
June 26, 2005 2:39:47 PM

shaun cooper wrote:

> hi, I wanna use it exactly as I said, as a portable hard
> drive. So I can pick it up and use it at work and bring
> it home and transfer stuff to my pc or xbox. Using if
> possible USB...

You can buy a HD enclosure for the drive:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=GO...
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 3:43:33 AM

shaun cooper <shaunv8@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> hi all, can this be done. If so what do i need. I have the original hard
> drive sitting in a drawer so i thought i could use it as a portable hard
> drive. all help appreciated...thank shaun

It's easy enough to buy an enclosure for your HD which will let you plug
your HD into your PC at home or at work. You'll probably have to reformat
the HD (Windows will ask you if you want to do this, since it probably
won't be able to make sense of the Xbox's partitions.)

Unless you've hacked your XBox, however, I don't know of a way to plug an
external HD into it to transfer data back/forth. I know you can hack your
Xbox so it can transfer data from your PC though. So if you could do
that, just plug the HD into your PC and transfer stuff that way...

Anyways, your local computer parts store will sell hard drive enclosures
that let you connect a hard drive to your computer using USB and/or
Firewire. They're fairly cheap - about $30-40.
June 30, 2005 5:51:14 PM

Doug Jacobs wrote:
> shaun cooper <shaunv8@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>
>>hi all, can this be done. If so what do i need. I have the original hard
>>drive sitting in a drawer so i thought i could use it as a portable hard
>>drive. all help appreciated...thank shaun
>

> It's easy enough to buy an enclosure for your HD which will let you plug
> your HD into your PC at home or at work. You'll probably have to reformat
> the HD (Windows will ask you if you want to do this, since it probably
> won't be able to make sense of the Xbox's partitions.)
>
> Unless you've hacked your XBox, however, I don't know of a way to plug an
> external HD into it to transfer data back/forth. I know you can hack your
> Xbox so it can transfer data from your PC though. So if you could do
> that, just plug the HD into your PC and transfer stuff that way...
>
> Anyways, your local computer parts store will sell hard drive enclosures
> that let you connect a hard drive to your computer using USB and/or
> Firewire. They're fairly cheap - about $30-40.

not only that, but Windows won't even recognize the disc (nor will any
format utility, I think) untl you run a simple unlocking batch file
which can be found on www.xbox-scene.com. Its encrypted with a hash
string. Do a search. After that simply put the drive into an enclosure
which should come with some PATA 2 USB or Firewire Adapter. And molex to
2 prong outlet.
!