Hi everyone,
I would like to create a shortcut icon on my desktop that executes an
opening of Windows Explorer and defaults to selecting C drive (C:\)
This is different from executing Windows Explorer from the Accessories menu,
which defaults to My Documents, or executing Explorer from the Start button,
which defaults to Start Menu in the User Sub-folder of Documents and
Settings.

I'm aware that in order to achieve what I want, I have to place an
instruction to the Windows Registry. Consequently I'm asking all you good
people if anyone has experience in doing such work or may be able to direct
me to a reference where this or similar subject is discussed. I have tried
the Microsoft Knowledgebase sites but haven't found anything yet.

Thank you,
Reinhardt

"Peter Bentes" <oceanviewsouth@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I would like to create a shortcut icon on my desktop that executes an
> opening of Windows Explorer and defaults to selecting C drive (C:\)

Why don't you simply open My Computer, right-click on your C drive, and drag
it to the desktop as a shortcut? This is a very basic Windows operation!

--
Anti-Spam address: my last name at his dot com
Charles Gillen -- Reston, Virginia, USA

Hi Peter,

Open to the root of C: (No folders)
%SystemRoot%\Explorer.exe /root, C:\

Open to the root of C: (with folders)
%windir%\EXPLORER.EXE /e,c:

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

Peter Bentes wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> I would like to create a shortcut icon on my desktop that
> executes an opening of Windows Explorer and defaults to
> selecting C drive (C:\)
> This is different from executing Windows Explorer from
> the Accessories menu, which defaults to My Documents, or
> executing Explorer from the Start button, which defaults
> to Start Menu in the User Sub-folder of Documents and
> Settings.
>
> I'm aware that in order to achieve what I want, I have to
> place an instruction to the Windows Registry.
> Consequently I'm asking all you good people if anyone has
> experience in doing such work or may be able to direct me
> to a reference where this or similar subject is
> discussed. I have tried the Microsoft Knowledgebase sites
> but haven't found anything yet.
>
> Thank you,
> Reinhardt

Under WIN98se I was able to open my computer at the C:\ level and NOT HAVE
WIN98 start up there was a way to control and delay the start up
proceedure --- can this be done under XP?

SNOAD wrote:
> Under WIN98se I was able to open my computer at the C:\ level and NOT
> HAVE WIN98 start up there was a way to control and delay the start up
> proceedure --- can this be done under XP?

Yes and No.
You can boot up in Safe Mode Command Prompt using the menu you get at
startup by tapping F8 before the Windows Logo appears.

But Windows XP is not based on a 16 bit kernel, there is no true DOS. It is
an emulator.

--
<- Shenan ->