Can i run two different computers on one monitor? one hdmi and one vga?

Can I run two different computers (one old with XP ...VIA VGA) and (one new with WIN 7 VIA HDMI) on one monitor without an adapter switch? I don't mind only being able to turn on one computer at a time (if necessary) but being able to run both would be nice. So, can i run both at the same time without a switch? Or only one? Monitor is Samsung series 3 syncmaster(S27A350H)... Has VGA & HDMI Connections.
6 answers Last reply
More about computers monitor hdmi
  1. if your screen have PIP option you may be able to run both computer in Split screen you can set half of the screen for the hdmi input and the other half for the vga input, but this is a Monitor feature.
  2. IdaB said:
    Can I run two different computers (one old with XP ...VIA VGA) and (one new with WIN 7 VIA HDMI) on one monitor without an adapter switch? I don't mind only being able to turn on one computer at a time (if necessary) but being able to run both would be nice. So, can i run both at the same time without a switch? Or only one? Monitor is Samsung series 3 syncmaster(S27A350H)... Has VGA & HDMI Connections.


    Your monitor will have two inputs. You can select which input you want from an option on the monitor.
    It is not possible to have the two inputs active at the same time, nor would you want it.

    You could have both pc's running at the same time, and which current display output whould be shown on the monitor would be determined by the monitor input selection.
  3. geofelt said:
    Your monitor will have two inputs. You can select which input you want from an option on the monitor.
    It is not possible to have the two inputs active at the same time, nor would you want it.

    You could have both pc's running at the same time, and which current display output whould be shown on the monitor would be determined by the monitor input selection.


    like i said if the monitor does have Picture in Picture (PIP/PBP) you are able to have 2 inputs at the same time on the same screen.

    look at my screen for instance:
    http://www.cnet.com.au/benq-xl2410t-339318722.htm

    this is the feature

    Picture by picture (PBP) mode is here, with the ability to show not only VGA by HDMI, but HDMI by DVI — the first time we've seen this combination. Things end up squished in the wrong aspect ratio and the scaling is pretty brutal, but we find PBP to be more useful than Picture In Picture (PIP), purely on account of the size of the windows.
  4. ricardois said:
    like i said if the monitor does have Picture in Picture (PIP/PBP) you are able to have 2 inputs at the same time on the same screen.

    look at my screen for instance:
    http://www.cnet.com.au/benq-xl2410t-339318722.htm

    this is the feature

    Picture by picture (PBP) mode is here, with the ability to show not only VGA by HDMI, but HDMI by DVI — the first time we've seen this combination. Things end up squished in the wrong aspect ratio and the scaling is pretty brutal, but we find PBP to be more useful than Picture In Picture (PIP), purely on account of the size of the windows.


    As far as I can tell, the OP's S27A350H monitor does not have picture in picture capability.
  5. My HP monitor has 2 inputs, HDMI and VGA. Now, I am running three systems through a 4 port KVM switch. But with just two systens, I might consider switching at the monitor.
  6. geofelt said:
    As far as I can tell, the OP's S27A350H monitor does not have picture in picture capability.


    yes with that panel he can't, i was just saying that it is possible with others, so if it is for something really necessary he can be able to change the screen to another that will present that feature.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Computers VGA HDMI Monitors Graphics