Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Advice on 2 computers

Last response: in Systems
May 5, 2012 3:48:14 PM

I have been planning to buy a new computer for a while now, and I think I've finally got what I want narrowed down. I'm not a computer guru so trying to pick one out can be overwhelming with so many different options to choose from lol. Anyways I have posted specs from the 2 computers I'm looking at right now, and I wanted to get opinions on them. I am planning to do a fair amount of gaming so keep that in mind. Do they both look good? Pros/cons to either? Also for both of them, would you all recommend I go with the 460W or 600W power supply? The site says they can both run on 460W, but I know with my current computer I only have a 200w power supply which leaves practically no room for graphics card upgrades or anything, so I worry about running into similar issues. And how important is cooling stuff? I've never owned a 'good' computer before so I want to make sure that I treat it well lol...is the fan that comes with a computer usually good enough? I'd ideally like to get the first one since it's a lot cheaper, but if the second one is really a ton better than the first and will be able to last me longer I might want to shell out the extra cash so I'll save later down the line.

First one (cheaper one)
Components

• Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium [64-bit]
• AMD FX-6100 six-core processor [3.3GHz, 6MB L2/8MB L3 Cache]
• FREE UPGRADE to 6GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [2 DIMMs] from 4GB
• 1TB 7200 rpm SATA hard drive
• 2GB AMD Radeon HD 7770 [DVI, HDMI, DP & VGA via adapter]
• 460W Power supply
• Beats Audio (tm) -- integrated studio quality sound

Second one:

Components

• Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium [64-bit]
• AMD FX-8120 eight-core processor [3.1GHz, 8MB L2/8MB L3 Cache]
• FREE UPGRADE to 10GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [3 DIMMs] from 8GB
• 2TB 7200 rpm SATA hard drive
• 1GB DDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti [2 DVI, mini-HDMI. VGA adapter]
• Air Cooling Solution
• Beats Audio (tm) -- integrated studio quality sound
• 460W Power supply

More about : advice computers

Best solution

May 5, 2012 4:06:16 PM

if you can spare the money i would go with a intel i5 quad core cpu instead of either one of these though the rest of each looks good for a gaming set up faster ram is better then more ram so the build with the "FREE UPGRADE" to 6GB DDR3-1333MHz will be good and be enough for your computer for quite a while, with that the power supplies seem bearly able to do the graphics card which you paired up with them so if you can get a slightly more powerful one that will help.
The HDD over 1TB barely anyone uses unless you are keeping all your videos and music and games on a single hard disk. Intergrated sound is good unless you want a 5.1 or a 7.1 sound set up then you will want a sound card.
The video cards are about the same in performance with +/- a few frames here and there depending on the game and quailty settings so unless you are doing gaming on a shooter the close to the same frame rates they give out will not be noticed inbetween unless you want PhysX then go with the 550 Ti as the AMD cards do not have that and i have heard nVidia made it so only the nVidia cards can use PhysX
May 5, 2012 4:16:32 PM

yumri said:
if you can spare the money i would go with a intel i5 quad core cpu instead of either one of these though the rest of each looks good for a gaming set up faster ram is better then more ram so the build with the "FREE UPGRADE" to 6GB DDR3-1333MHz will be good and be enough for your computer for quite a while, with that the power supplies seem bearly able to do the graphics card which you paired up with them so if you can get a slightly more powerful one that will help.
The HDD over 1TB barely anyone uses unless you are keeping all your videos and music and games on a single hard disk. Intergrated sound is good unless you want a 5.1 or a 7.1 sound set up then you will want a sound card.
The video cards are about the same in performance with +/- a few frames here and there depending on the game and quailty settings so unless you are doing gaming on a shooter the close to the same frame rates they give out will not be noticed inbetween unless you want PhysX then go with the 550 Ti as the AMD cards do not have that and i have heard nVidia made it so only the nVidia cards can use PhysX

Thanks a bunch for the quick reply, very helpful! It seems that HP only offers AMD processors, so that said do you think upgrading them would be a good idea? They offer from what I posted up to AMD FX-8150, I just stuck with the default options though since I figured it'd be more worth it to shell out a bit more for the graphics card over the processor.

Also what is Physx?
m
l
Related resources
May 5, 2012 4:24:38 PM

(1) I'm not a fan of current AMD CPUs for gaming. However they work. Consider an intel i5 build. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o...

(2) Ask the brand of the power supply and post it. google for reviews. Some builders cut corners on the power supply. (Dell won't, HP, won't IBM won't, etc. small builders do all the time.) A bad 460w PSU is a real problem. "We think there is no better example of what we are saying than this review here done using the above “methodology” where the “reviewer” gave the product a “Gold Award” to a 750 W power supply that burns if you try to pull more than 450 W from it." http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/410

Both graphics cards are good ones. Rate gaming video performance using this table: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...

Ex: HD7770 is slightly better than GTX550 Ti because it is one tier up.

6-8GB is max memory you'll ever use. 4GB is current sweet spot for memory. It's not bad to have 10GB instead of 8GB, however count that as roughly even with the 6GB system.

m
l
May 5, 2012 5:17:14 PM

(1) if you goto http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/store_access... all 3 desktop category have intel CPUs just not the first computer on the list as AMD is the way to go to make the cheapest model

(2) the default power supply is usually is not the best to use even if their online program does not through you an error it might just be that you didn't go over the amount of power needed yet

(3) do not go with IBM for the computer build as they mainly will build you something which is made to last not made for speed and high speeds ussulay cut life span thus IBM is not the place to go for a gaming computer but for a sever

(4) anything above a quad core cpu is going to be a waste of cores unless you do CAD, video / audio editing with professional programs, and/or sever programs as games only have come up to useing 4 cores so far.

(5) from what i have read on multiple tom's articles after 3.0GHz more speed stops making a noticeable difference in games for the CPU

(6) if you can get a 500W PSU as that will cover what you need and pull you closer back to the half way mark for the power consumed vs max power. at the half way mark your PSU will operate most effectively
m
l
Anonymous
May 5, 2012 5:40:47 PM

yumri said:

(6) if you can get a 500W PSU as that will cover what you need and pull you closer back to the half way mark for the power consumed vs max power. at the half way mark your PSU will operate most effectively

now STOP THAT!

the difference in efficiency between 40-80% of load is only a few percent; whereas below 20% is a HUGE difference. most systems will only be hitting max load while gaming or benchmarking. most of the time is spent near idling and a system that idles below 20% will add quite a bit of heat in the PSU causing it to age substantially.
m
l
May 6, 2012 3:16:13 PM

Best answer selected by mglwd40.
m
l
!