Sign in with
Your question

How am I doing so far?

Last response: in Systems
May 5, 2012 3:50:45 PM

I've got a Corsair TX750, 550D case and H80 cooler, ASRock Z77 Extreme6 board, 3570k in boxes in my room. Good choices? The Army has made me PARANOID. I wanted to ask some REAL people how I'm doing. I hate being SOLD... anymore suggestions on what I should get to finish would be great to. Thanks men... :fou:  :lol:  :D 

More about : question

May 5, 2012 4:06:38 PM

looks good to me. now throw in at least 8GB of ram, an SSD and the best video card you can afford and your set.

May 5, 2012 4:11:47 PM

Hi, You can argue price performance, however what you have is the makings of a very solid system that will substantially outperform mine.

For gaming you need video. Maybe use this ref: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car... With the high end parts you already have I'd start with HD6870 class cards and then move up from there, nothing weaker. However you know your price point better than me.

For monitor most things you look at will be called 1080p (1920X1080). Get the size you want. An LCD TV is the same thing as a monitor (make sue it has HDMI input, they all do), so if you have a small (20", 24") TV you can use that. You can also use something like a 50" plasma TV as a monitor -- fun for gaming, not so fun for web browsing. You can also use BOTH a small monitor and Big screen and switch between them.

For memory 8GB is the high end of what you need (4GB is really what you need now, going to 8GB future proofs you, more than 8GB has no benefit except for a few specialty (non-gaming) applications.)

For gaming, a good mouse is critical. I'm not a fan of a ton of buttons, but having a smooth frictionless mouse with a precise feel is excellent. Google gaming mice to get opinions.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
May 5, 2012 4:27:15 PM

tsnor said:
Hi, You can argue price performance, however what you have is the makings of a very solid system that will substantially outperform mine.

For gaming you need video. Maybe use this ref: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car... With the high end parts you already have I'd start with HD6870 class cards and then move up from there, nothing weaker. However you know your price point better than me.

For monitor most things you look at will be called 1080p (1920X1080). Get the size you want. An LCD TV is the same thing as a monitor (make sue it has HDMI input, they all do), so if you have a small (20", 24") TV you can use that. You can also use something like a 50" plasma TV as a monitor -- fun for gaming, not so fun for web browsing. You can also use BOTH a small monitor and Big screen and switch between them.

For memory 8GB is the high end of what you need (4GB is really what you need now, going to 8GB future proofs you, more than 8GB has no benefit except for a few specialty (non-gaming) applications.)

For gaming, a good mouse is critical. I'm not a fan of a ton of buttons, but having a smooth frictionless mouse with a precise feel is excellent. Google gaming mice to get opinions.

Thanks. You are the man. I was thinking about keyboards and mice. Do you really need a $100 keyboard? What mouse do you like. I agree lots of buttons sounds frustrating. Guy up top said I need an SSD... I can't buy just a regular hard drive? God! I'm such a noob...
May 5, 2012 4:49:15 PM

Disk: SSD is cool, I use one in my notebook. I choose *not* to use one in my gaming system. Gaming system doesn't really use disk unless loading game, a fast spinning disk works well for me. (Actually i use two spinning disks in raid0, but that was just fooling around, one was great). Google for a western digital black review, pick a recent review and check for which drives they compare it to. That will give you names of all performance spinning drives. Pick one in 1TB or larger size. Installing games can get large.

Mice, everyoen has an opinion. I've used and like the RAZER DeathAdder http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... note there are left and right hand models. This is also a favorite, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

edit: forgot keyboard. I use the stock keyboard that cam with my PC, but i'm going to break the WASD keys that are used for movement in most games. (pressing harder really doesn't make it go faster, but...) So i haven't used a gamign keyboard, someone else might have an opinion.

also forgot to say you have a choice of wired vs. wireless mice. I use a wireless mouse at work and a wired mouse at home. I think wired better for gaming however have no facts to back that up. Plenty of options on mice and keyboard. If you end up with a big screen for gaming then you NEED a wireless mouse and keyboard or you'll be getting up and going to the PC every time something ends on youtube, etc.
May 5, 2012 5:12:59 PM

andyvet32 said:
Thanks. You are the man. I was thinking about keyboards and mice. Do you really need a $100 keyboard? What mouse do you like. I agree lots of buttons sounds frustrating. Guy up top said I need an SSD... I can't buy just a regular hard drive? God! I'm such a noob...

You don't "need" a gaming keyboard. A simple $20 keyboard works fine. If you "want" a hundred dollar keyboard, then, by all means, get one. :lol:  I would like to get a better mouse for FPS, but I still enjoy the games I play using a cheap, corded, Logitech optical mouse. It works.
!