Sign in with
Your question

MSI gtx 560 Ti 2gb sli total vram useage

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 29, 2012 3:11:15 PM

Hi folks, just found this amazing site its awesome. my question is i have just ordered a custom gaming rig with 2 Msi gtx 560 ti(2gb)
how much will be the vram usage in sli 4gb or 2gb as this will be my first desktop i really have no idea.... i was planning to get MSI gtx 580 Lightning but decided to go with 2 560 ti 2gb.Will this card outperform 2 x Msi amd hd 6950 twin frozr 2gb? and gtx 580 lightning?

My system info as follow:

i5 2500k@ 4.5 GHZ
Asus P8Z68-V, Gen3 MOBO
Corsair 8gb Ram
Corsair 750 W Psu Modular
Haf 922 Case
2 x Msi gtx 560 ti 2gb Twin frozr 2

Also i am planning to play Metro 2033, BF3,on Ultra.
I currently play wow and rift.
Thanks.
February 29, 2012 3:17:35 PM

I would think that the 560 ti would beat Crossfire 6950s. Two 560 ti's eats a 580 for breakfast, especially the 2 gig 260s.

In SLI, your ram will not double to four it will still be two.
a b U Graphics card
February 29, 2012 3:28:09 PM

Just like cyansnow sayd and you can also read here:
http://www.geforce.com/Hardware/Technologies/sli/faq#c2...

When I configure two graphics cards in SLI mode, do the graphics cards work together to create double the memory size?

No. In SLI mode, each graphics card uses its own frame buffer memory to render a 3D application. The operating system will report a graphics card frame buffer memory size that is found on a single graphics board.

So your system will announce that you have 2gb of VRAM but each card will be using 2gb that they have, so it will not be just 2gb but it will also not be total 4gb memory.
Related resources
February 29, 2012 3:42:27 PM

Oh thanks for your replies guys thats how sli works? and do you think my setup of gaming of 2 560 ti in sli would last for couple of years? for upcoming games?where can i find msi 2 gb 560 ti SLI benchmark i would really appreciate it.Cheers. :p 
February 29, 2012 3:49:51 PM

Also this Sli setup will outperform Asus 7950 3gb as well? thanks.
a b U Graphics card
February 29, 2012 4:55:19 PM

Hi murlocbbq - A lot depends on the resolution in which you game. Single screen resolutions maxed-out shouldn't need more than 2gb of vram (even 1gb is almost enough). So while a 7950 has 3gb of vram, you wouldn't need it gaming on a single screen. In the future maybe but that is a while.

Your 2 x 560ti 2gb will be very powerful and will beat a 580 and a 7950. It'll be great for at least a couple years. The only trouble with that setup is less upgrade ability, more heat, possibly more noise, and the hassles sometimes associated with SLI. But for raw performance and longevity, I think you made a fine choice.
a c 88 U Graphics card
February 29, 2012 5:14:51 PM

You did great, your choice is faster than a 580 and a 7950, you also have the option to go multi monitor and have great performance with the 2gb of vram.
The MSI Twin Frozr cards are awesome , their cooling , low noise and have excellent overclocking headroom.
If you play games like BF3, you will be able to play on ultra settings with great fps.
Your set up will last you at least a couple of years, enjoy!
a b U Graphics card
February 29, 2012 5:26:05 PM

I really never tested 1x 3gb vram versus 2x 2gb vram for multi monitor setup, i know that 3GB is better than 2GB alone, but i'm not sure if 2GB for each card is worst than only one with 3GB, i know that the graphics power will be much higher using the 2x 560 ti in a 1080p resolution, but i'm not sure if with multi monitor only 1gb more on a single card with worst performance will be so much better than 2x 2GB.

but i would go for the sli of course, i think that the performance gain over the 7950 is better than only +1gb vram.
February 29, 2012 8:08:57 PM

Thanks a lot for your input guys, yes i am planning to game on higher res as i have bought a new Asus 24 inch monitor as well i am glad that i made the right choice for the cards, but Larkspur as you have mentioned about the heat and noise can i do anything else to keep the cards cool and quiet? my comp case is HAF 922 they comes with 200mmx2 fans and i think you can install few more dont know it will help the cards as there will be more airflow! dont know what to do about the noise thing hehe. ;) 
a b U Graphics card
February 29, 2012 9:00:27 PM

As long as your cards have enough room in between them to breathe they should be fine, you might not notice any additional noise. I was just pointing out that two cards usually use more power and therefore need to dissipate more heat than a single card otherwise would. In a cramped case or in a situation where they aren't spaced properly or one card butts up against a wall within the case can cause the fans to run louder than they would. Your case is nice-n-big with lots of airflow. I think you'll be fine.
February 29, 2012 9:32:20 PM

Ok thnx mate:)  i havent seen the build yet its gonna come by next week, i will make sure there is room between the two cards for some nice air. whats the limit of OC the card comes with 880 Mhz OC and i guess it would generate more heat if yah OC it?Cheers.
a b U Graphics card
February 29, 2012 9:59:09 PM

Yeah same voltage + higher clocks = more heat. Also, more voltage + same clock = more heat. Your cards' coolers should be adequate to push the factory OC higher. But every individual GPU will overclock differently. Some go above 1ghz core while others top out much lower.

Personally, I've never OCed a 560ti but there are numerous guides available for reference on the web. I would use MSI Afterburner to OC. Google about OCing the 560 ti, and read a few of the guides before experimenting yourself.

Also, be aware that in SLI, a common core clock must be used. So when in SLI you will be limited to the highest overclock you can get for both cards. Example: If one card is OCed to 950mhz and the other card can only OC to 930mhz, then in SLI both cards will be clocked at 930mhz.
a b U Graphics card
February 29, 2012 10:21:51 PM

larkspur said:
Yeah same voltage + higher clocks = more heat. Also, more voltage + same clock = more heat. Your cards' coolers should be adequate to push the factory OC higher. But every individual GPU will overclock differently. Some go above 1ghz core while others top out much lower.

Personally, I've never OCed a 560ti but there are numerous guides available for reference on the web. I would use MSI Afterburner to OC. Google about OCing the 560 ti, and read a few of the guides before experimenting yourself.

Also, be aware that in SLI, a common core clock must be used. So when in SLI you will be limited to the highest overclock you can get for both cards. Example: If one card is OCed to 950mhz and the other card can only OC to 930mhz, then in SLI both cards will be clocked at 930mhz.

well by what i know that limitation is only to VRAM memory, you can mix different clock speeds but each card will work at their own speed, so it is best to match the clock speeds for better performance.

http://www.geforce.com/Hardware/Technologies/sli/faq#c1...
a b U Graphics card
February 29, 2012 10:49:39 PM

ricardois said:
well by what i know that limitation is only to VRAM memory, you can mix different clock speeds but each card will work at their own speed, so it is best to match the clock speeds for better performance.

Interesting, I thought that when SLI was turned on the cards were forced to clock at the lowest card's clock (which of course could still be an OC). I guess they changed it and I missed it or maybe it was always like that and I misunderstood from the start. The FAQ doesn't address that specifically. Any other references to whether the cards are force-clocked or whether they just operate at their own clocks? Edit: No need, you're right they still keep their clocks. Of course as you say it is probably more ideal to set them identically so in theory you're still limited by your slowest card.
March 1, 2012 11:44:14 AM

Hmm, i have changed my mind about SLI i am just getting 1 2gb msi 560 ti, for now and after few months i will get kepler :D 
Thanks everyone bye.
!