Need an audio connector for my xbox

Last response: in Video Games
Share
June 26, 2005 12:09:04 PM

I am getting a bit bored with having the two RCA leads into the back
of my TV for sound - I want something more.

I have seen an XBox to optical cable to enable 5.1 sound - but what I
need is a 5 RCA cable that allows 5.1 sound. I am already using my
optical port on my amplifier but I have one of those 5 plug things
which gives 5.1 as well.

Does such a cord exist and can I buy it online?

--
Trev

"I can't believe you pissed on my taco"

VizPoets Filmmakers - http://www.vizpoets.com

More about : audio connector xbox

June 26, 2005 12:09:05 PM

"Koenig" <trevorgenschbloodysven@aanet.com.au> wrote in message
>I am getting a bit bored with having the two RCA leads into the back
> of my TV for sound - I want something more.
>
> I have seen an XBox to optical cable to enable 5.1 sound - but what I
> need is a 5 RCA cable that allows 5.1 sound. I am already using my
> optical port on my amplifier but I have one of those 5 plug things
> which gives 5.1 as well.
>
> Does such a cord exist and can I buy it online?

No, and no. AFAIK there's only two cables that allow 5.1 Dolby digital. One
is an optical cable, the other a component cable. The adapters I've seen for
the Xbox have optical out only. If you have a home theater setup it's well
worth going with 5.1. It makes a huge impact on the quality of the games
sound. I've seen HD switch boxes at Wal-Mart of all places that allow you to
have up to 5 devices plugged into one optical input. It was only around $20.
Well worth the money. JLC
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 11:29:00 PM

"Koenig" <trevorgenschbloodysven@aanet.com.au> wrote in message
> I am getting a bit bored with having the two RCA leads into the back
> of my TV for sound - I want something more.
>
> I have seen an XBox to optical cable to enable 5.1 sound - but what I
> need is a 5 RCA cable that allows 5.1 sound. I am already using my
> optical port on my amplifier but I have one of those 5 plug things
> which gives 5.1 as well.
>
> Does such a cord exist and can I buy it online?
>

> --
> Trev

Hi,

You are refering to "5.1 Audio inputs" (five jacks for: R, C, L, RR, LR)?

Your receiver has a digital input along with inputs for these five channels?

If so, you will need more than just a cable. You will need a converter to
convert fiber out (from XBox) to five channels. (The converter may even
need to be a DD decoder as well.) Basically, what these five channel inputs
are doing is just sending the R, C, L, RR, RL audio to their respective
speakers after already being decoded. I've had some component animals like
this in the past. They used BNC connectors but were the same principle.
Devices with such a setup are thought as "Dolby Digital ready". Your
receiver sounds like it is a DD decoder (for fiber) and "DD Ready" for these
inputs.

Never seeked out such a converter, but most likely it would probably cost
more than other ways to get an aggregate DD signal into the receiver. Does
the receiver also have an SPDIF (copper) input for an aggregate DD signal?
If so, light-to-copper (fiber-to-SPDIF) can be found easily for like $30.
Using one myself for one device. If not, how about an "A/B Box" for both
the fibers (XBox and whatever you other DD source is)? Probably could even
find one relatively cheaply that actively switches from A/B to the other
source as soon as the signal is detected. (I.e., wouldn't have to manually
switch A/B, it automatically does when XBox is powered up. When XBox is
turned off, it switches back to your other source.)

Cheers,
-E
Related resources
June 28, 2005 4:17:55 PM

There are a couple of ways to get surround sound out of your Xbox...

1) - Take the red and white leads you are currently using and run them
to a tuner or amplifier that supports Dolby Pro-Logic surround sound.
This will give you a left, center and right, but the rear channels will
be mono (the same sound coming out of both the right and left rear
speakers.

To my knowledge the Xbox doesn't support Pro-Logic II which gives true
stereo in the rear channels.

2) Get the advanced video kit and use an optical cable to go to a tuner
or amplifier that supports Dolby Digital. The Xbox doesn't have an
optical cable port built in, only by getting the advanced (S-Video) or
HD (component) video packs will you be able to use digital audio.

- Jordan

- Jordan
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 11:05:22 PM

No it does not exist, you can't get 5.1 from the 6 seperate cables because
those inputs are not connected to a 5.1 decoder.

"Koenig" <trevorgenschbloodysven@aanet.com.au> wrote in message
>I am getting a bit bored with having the two RCA leads into the back
> of my TV for sound - I want something more.
>
> I have seen an XBox to optical cable to enable 5.1 sound - but what I
> need is a 5 RCA cable that allows 5.1 sound. I am already using my
> optical port on my amplifier but I have one of those 5 plug things
> which gives 5.1 as well.
>
> Does such a cord exist and can I buy it online?
>

> --
> Trev
>
> "I can't believe you pissed on my taco"
>
> VizPoets Filmmakers - http://www.vizpoets.com
June 29, 2005 12:33:15 PM

"Large Farva" wrote in message

> No it does not exist, you can't get 5.1 from the 6 seperate cables because
> those inputs are not connected to a 5.1 decoder.

Eh? Years ago, that was the only way to do DD. DD decoders weren't built
into everything like they are now. You had to have a stand-alone DD decoder
box. The decoder box's output would be connects (usually RCA) for (L, C,
R, RL, RR, S). Audio receiver would have connects for all the seperate DD
channels after they were decoded by the DD box. Such receivers were thought
of as "DD-Ready". They just passed the decoded seperate channels to their
respective speakers. I still have a stand-alone DD decoder box (with BNC
connects).

From the description of his receiver, it sounds like it was designed to do
DD decoding (from fiber in) and work as a "DD-Ready" receiver with the RCA
connects. Intended to give more flexibility. (I.e., he could have another
device doing the DD decoding, for whatever reason, before passing it along
to the receiver.)

Cheers,
-E
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 6:21:41 AM

"Eras" <none@nospam.not> wrote in message
> "Large Farva" wrote in message
>
>> No it does not exist, you can't get 5.1 from the 6 seperate cables
>> because
>> those inputs are not connected to a 5.1 decoder.
>
> Eh? Years ago, that was the only way to do DD. DD decoders weren't built
> into everything like they are now. You had to have a stand-alone DD
> decoder
> box. The decoder box's output would be connects (usually RCA) for (L, C,
> R, RL, RR, S). Audio receiver would have connects for all the seperate
> DD
> channels after they were decoded by the DD box. Such receivers were
> thought
> of as "DD-Ready". They just passed the decoded seperate channels to their
> respective speakers. I still have a stand-alone DD decoder box (with BNC
> connects).
>
> From the description of his receiver, it sounds like it was designed to do
> DD decoding (from fiber in) and work as a "DD-Ready" receiver with the RCA
> connects. Intended to give more flexibility. (I.e., he could have
> another
> device doing the DD decoding, for whatever reason, before passing it along
> to the receiver.)

More commonly, those inputs are there for SACD and DVD-Audio which require
that the decoding be done by the player then connected with the 6 analog
cables.
!