Need an audio connector for my xbox

I am getting a bit bored with having the two RCA leads into the back
of my TV for sound - I want something more.

I have seen an XBox to optical cable to enable 5.1 sound - but what I
need is a 5 RCA cable that allows 5.1 sound. I am already using my
optical port on my amplifier but I have one of those 5 plug things
which gives 5.1 as well.

Does such a cord exist and can I buy it online?

--
Trev

"I can't believe you pissed on my taco"

VizPoets Filmmakers - http://www.vizpoets.com
More about need audio connector xbox

    "Koenig" <trevorgenschbloodysven@aanet.com.au> wrote in message
    >I am getting a bit bored with having the two RCA leads into the back
    > of my TV for sound - I want something more.
    >
    > I have seen an XBox to optical cable to enable 5.1 sound - but what I
    > need is a 5 RCA cable that allows 5.1 sound. I am already using my
    > optical port on my amplifier but I have one of those 5 plug things
    > which gives 5.1 as well.
    >
    > Does such a cord exist and can I buy it online?

    No, and no. AFAIK there's only two cables that allow 5.1 Dolby digital. One
    is an optical cable, the other a component cable. The adapters I've seen for
    the Xbox have optical out only. If you have a home theater setup it's well
    worth going with 5.1. It makes a huge impact on the quality of the games
    sound. I've seen HD switch boxes at Wal-Mart of all places that allow you to
    have up to 5 devices plugged into one optical input. It was only around $20.
    Well worth the money. JLC

    "Koenig" <trevorgenschbloodysven@aanet.com.au> wrote in message
    > I am getting a bit bored with having the two RCA leads into the back
    > of my TV for sound - I want something more.
    >
    > I have seen an XBox to optical cable to enable 5.1 sound - but what I
    > need is a 5 RCA cable that allows 5.1 sound. I am already using my
    > optical port on my amplifier but I have one of those 5 plug things
    > which gives 5.1 as well.
    >
    > Does such a cord exist and can I buy it online?
    >

    > --
    > Trev

    Hi,

    You are refering to "5.1 Audio inputs" (five jacks for: R, C, L, RR, LR)?

    Your receiver has a digital input along with inputs for these five channels?

    If so, you will need more than just a cable. You will need a converter to
    convert fiber out (from XBox) to five channels. (The converter may even
    need to be a DD decoder as well.) Basically, what these five channel inputs
    are doing is just sending the R, C, L, RR, RL audio to their respective
    speakers after already being decoded. I've had some component animals like
    this in the past. They used BNC connectors but were the same principle.
    Devices with such a setup are thought as "Dolby Digital ready". Your
    receiver sounds like it is a DD decoder (for fiber) and "DD Ready" for these
    inputs.

    Never seeked out such a converter, but most likely it would probably cost
    more than other ways to get an aggregate DD signal into the receiver. Does
    the receiver also have an SPDIF (copper) input for an aggregate DD signal?
    If so, light-to-copper (fiber-to-SPDIF) can be found easily for like $30.
    Using one myself for one device. If not, how about an "A/B Box" for both
    the fibers (XBox and whatever you other DD source is)? Probably could even
    find one relatively cheaply that actively switches from A/B to the other
    source as soon as the signal is detected. (I.e., wouldn't have to manually
    switch A/B, it automatically does when XBox is powered up. When XBox is
    turned off, it switches back to your other source.)

    Cheers,
    -E

    Thanks to both for you help - it looks like some sort of switchbox
    will be in order.

    Thanks again.

    --
    Trev

    "I can't believe you pissed on my taco"

    VizPoets Filmmakers - http://www.vizpoets.com

    There are a couple of ways to get surround sound out of your Xbox...

    1) - Take the red and white leads you are currently using and run them
    to a tuner or amplifier that supports Dolby Pro-Logic surround sound.
    This will give you a left, center and right, but the rear channels will
    be mono (the same sound coming out of both the right and left rear
    speakers.

    To my knowledge the Xbox doesn't support Pro-Logic II which gives true
    stereo in the rear channels.

    2) Get the advanced video kit and use an optical cable to go to a tuner
    or amplifier that supports Dolby Digital. The Xbox doesn't have an
    optical cable port built in, only by getting the advanced (S-Video) or
    HD (component) video packs will you be able to use digital audio.

    - Jordan

    - Jordan

    No it does not exist, you can't get 5.1 from the 6 seperate cables because
    those inputs are not connected to a 5.1 decoder.

    "Large Farva" wrote in message

    > No it does not exist, you can't get 5.1 from the 6 seperate cables because
    > those inputs are not connected to a 5.1 decoder.

    Eh? Years ago, that was the only way to do DD. DD decoders weren't built
    into everything like they are now. You had to have a stand-alone DD decoder
    box. The decoder box's output would be connects (usually RCA) for (L, C,
    R, RL, RR, S). Audio receiver would have connects for all the seperate DD
    channels after they were decoded by the DD box. Such receivers were thought
    of as "DD-Ready". They just passed the decoded seperate channels to their
    respective speakers. I still have a stand-alone DD decoder box (with BNC
    connects).

    From the description of his receiver, it sounds like it was designed to do
    DD decoding (from fiber in) and work as a "DD-Ready" receiver with the RCA
    connects. Intended to give more flexibility. (I.e., he could have another
    device doing the DD decoding, for whatever reason, before passing it along
    to the receiver.)

    Cheers,
    -E

    "Eras" <none@nospam.not> wrote in message
    > "Large Farva" wrote in message
    >
    >> No it does not exist, you can't get 5.1 from the 6 seperate cables
    >> because
    >> those inputs are not connected to a 5.1 decoder.
    >
    > Eh? Years ago, that was the only way to do DD. DD decoders weren't built
    > into everything like they are now. You had to have a stand-alone DD
    > decoder
    > box. The decoder box's output would be connects (usually RCA) for (L, C,
    > R, RL, RR, S). Audio receiver would have connects for all the seperate
    > DD
    > channels after they were decoded by the DD box. Such receivers were
    > thought
    > of as "DD-Ready". They just passed the decoded seperate channels to their
    > respective speakers. I still have a stand-alone DD decoder box (with BNC
    > connects).
    >
    > From the description of his receiver, it sounds like it was designed to do
    > DD decoding (from fiber in) and work as a "DD-Ready" receiver with the RCA
    > connects. Intended to give more flexibility. (I.e., he could have
    > another
    > device doing the DD decoding, for whatever reason, before passing it along
    > to the receiver.)

    More commonly, those inputs are there for SACD and DVD-Audio which require
    that the decoding be done by the player then connected with the 6 analog
    cables.

Console Gaming Xbox Video Games