Sign in with
Your question

Internet connection sharing from laptop (xp sp2) to desktop (win7 64x)

Tags:
  • Laptops
  • Desktops
  • Internet Connection
  • Windows XP
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
May 10, 2011 3:19:54 PM

Hi,

I want to share my adsl connection that is in my laptop running xp 32bit sp2, to my desktop pc running win 7 64 bit sp1. I also have xp in another hdd in the desktop from which i have connected the laptop with firewire. But win7 does not allow firewire networking. I don't wanna buy any new hardware. Can anyone help me on how to do this the easiest way ?

More about : internet connection sharing laptop sp2 desktop win7 64x

a b D Laptop
May 10, 2011 10:18:33 PM

A company called Unibrain has a free download which will add firewire networking to your Win7 PC.
m
l
May 11, 2011 9:42:39 AM

I can't quite understand the install procedure of unibrain..do i have to install it on both the machines ? Then since my win7 is 64bit, i have to install the 64 bit of unibrain in the desktop and the 32 bit version of unibrain in my 32 bit xp laptop ?
m
l
Related resources
May 12, 2011 3:58:01 PM

Nope its wired..actually my modem is ut-300 r2 model. Also, i have broadband connection in my laptop and desktop is fully offline which i only use to play heavy duty games. Now i am in need of getting internet in the desktop too but i want my laptop to be the main pc for internet.
m
l
May 24, 2011 3:51:14 PM

You could buy a small ethernet hub (not USB) and simply connect your modem to the hub and then plug your laptop and desktop into the hub. hubs are really cheap now and small
m
l
!