Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New to PC building

Last response: in Systems
May 5, 2012 3:58:14 PM

Hello I have been doing a ton of research in the last couple of weeks in an attempt to build my first pc.I have come up with a tenative gaming build. I want to post my build in hopes that those with more knowlegable hands can approve or dissaprove my choices and also give advice on compatibility and user friendlyness. Thanks for any help you can offer.

My Build
1.XION Predator Gaming Series AXP 970-001BK Mid Tower PC Case

2.Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz

3.MSI Z77A-GD55 LGA 1155 motherboard

4. OCZ Agility 3 AGT3-25SAT3-240G 2.5" 240GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive

5.Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler

6.EVGA 012-P3-1578-AR GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) Classified 1280MB 320-bit

7.CORSAIR DOMINATOR 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

8.Rosewill LIGHTNING Series LIGHTNING-800w PSU

9.Just going to pick up an optical drive from Microcenter when make a trip there.

Some questions I had where
1. Do i need another standard hard drive along with my SSD?
2. From what I can tell unless I run two Gpu's in SLI 800w PSU should be enough correct?
3. Theres more but ill wait for feedback on what i have first.

More about : building

Best solution

May 5, 2012 4:12:15 PM

Replace the OCZ Agility with the Crucial M4 256GB for $200 - http://www.buy.com/prod/crucial-m4-256gb-2-5-sata-iii-s...

I would recommend a storage drive of some sort. 2TB should be plenty to start with. This drive has a combo deal with a DVD Burner - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Also, if you want the best RAM available at this moment, Samsung has new 30nm modules out that are crazy good (Ignore the rated specs and read the reviews) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Your power supply is technically "overkill." HOWEVER, it is a Super Flower OEMed PSU that is 80Plus gold, so you will be fine with that one.

I would also go with an HD7870 over the GTX 570 when looking in the $300-$350 price range.
Benches - http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/548?vs=518
Product Link - http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

and yes, before anyone asks, AMD's drivers work JUST FINE.
May 5, 2012 4:12:48 PM

psu, get a corsair hx 850, much better than rosewill one.
get the hd 7870 other than the gx 570. get crucial m4 256gb ssd, much better reliability, cpu is fine but you can also consider i5 3570k.
m
l
Related resources
May 5, 2012 4:17:52 PM

manu 11 said:
psu, get a corsair hx 850, much better than rosewill one.
get the hd 7870 other than the gx 570. get crucial m4 256gb ssd, much better reliability, cpu is fine but you can also consider i5 3570k.

The HX850 is not better than the Rosewill LIGHTNING 800W. CORSAIR is a more reputable brand. However, Rosewill's LIGHTNING 80Plus Gold PSUs (Super Flower OEM) compete with Seasonic OEM units like the CORSAIR AX850, which is more money in this case. While the HX850 is a solid psu, in general, it has no performance benefit, even beyond that of 80Plus certification level, to offer at that price point.

Plus... the Rosewill has lights. :kaola: 
m
l
May 5, 2012 4:22:15 PM

I would go with an Ivy Bridge proc. After all why not? It is same price and a lil better. For sure go with the 7870 over the 570. You will need a mech. hard drive also unless you are just doing windows and like 2 games... ever. Also go with the Corsair PS over a Rosewill.
m
l
May 5, 2012 4:32:43 PM

Lokordd said:
I would go with an Ivy Bridge proc. After all why not? It is same price and a lil better. For sure go with the 7870 over the 570. You will need a mech. hard drive also unless you are just doing windows and like 2 games... ever. Also go with the Corsair PS over a Rosewill.

The HX850 is a design that is 2.5 years older than the Rosewill. This forum is terrible for people recommending PSUs based on blind trust in the major name brands (i.e. because it says CORSAIR on the box, it must be good). The PSU he picked out is an excellent performer. Not "okay," not "good," but EXCELLENT. There is nothing wrong with it other than it not having a more reputable brand name on the box. It has fantastic professional and user reviews and has a 5 year warranty. Unless you can find a 850w Seasonic, Corsair, XFX 80Plus Gold for less (since they are all almost identical except for the housing), then there is no reason to try to convince the OP to pick something else.
m
l
May 5, 2012 5:16:29 PM

As far as the gpu's go, is keeping within brands a consideration? For example is it better to use a AMD processor with an AMD GPU?

Also I looked into the i7 series processors and from what I can tell the offer very little over the one I have selected for there higher prices. Am I wrong in this lie of thinking?
m
l
May 5, 2012 5:36:41 PM

RookiePCer said:
As far as the gpu's go, is keeping within brands a consideration? For example is it better to use a AMD processor with an AMD GPU?

Also I looked into the i7 series processors and from what I can tell the offer very little over the one I have selected for there higher prices. Am I wrong in this lie of thinking?

You are, for the most part, correct on the assumption about i5 vs i7. The 2500k will suit you just fine for gaming and general usage. However, if you do any video encoding, it would be worth considering a bump to the 2600k. I would definitely not go any higher than the 2600k and I would stay away from Ivy Bridge until it gets refreshed and the heat issues are dealt with. With overclocking in mind, Sandy is the better choice IMHO.

With regard to maintaining brand continuity, it makes no difference. There is nothing proprietary about how an Nvidia GPU works with an Intel or AMD CPU. The same holds true for AMD GPUs working with Intel and AMD CPUs. The reason behind the HD7870 recommendation is that it is a more powerful GPU and an excellent overclocker. If you choose to follow my recommendations I posted above, I assure you that you will not be disappointed.
m
l
May 5, 2012 5:48:27 PM

I researched all of your recomendations and very happy with the results, especially the ram having such high reviews and being over 20$ cheaper. I will go with your suggestions, I ask the questions because more than just wanting to make a great machine I want to learn about the differnces in products to help me make better choices in the future.
m
l
May 5, 2012 5:51:25 PM

As far as using 2 hard drives besides the OS what else should be placed in the SSD? I am assuming the games I download as well to take advantge of the SSD's speed is there anything else?
Also im assuming this setup will run all the latest and greatest games well. Is it however in my best intrest too go with a real High end GPU or run two gpu's in sli/crossfire? In terms of budget I dont have a set limit im more concenered with a quality build first and foremost.
m
l
May 5, 2012 6:05:55 PM

RookiePCer said:
As far as using 2 hard drives besides the OS what else should be placed in the SSD? I am assuming the games I download as well to take advantge of the SSD's speed is there anything else?

Sevenforums has a good guide on moving your Documents, Pictures, Music, and Videos folders to your storage drive. I would install Windows 7 and more demanding games (in terms of load times) on the SSD. I would install less hard drive intensive applications and games on the 2TB drive. I, personally, made a folder called "Apps" for that on my D: drive. But, you also have 256GB SSD, I have a 128GB. If you save your movies and music to your 2TB storage drive, you may be able to install all of your games and software on the C: drive.

I would also make sure you use ACHI mode for the SSD instead of IDE mode (setting in the BIOS of the motherboard). Google it for more details. I can also recommend that you adjust your page file settings. There are a few thoughts on how to do this, but I'll tell you how I have mine. Set the SSD (C: drive) to 1024MB and set your storage drive (D: drive) to system managed. I have found these settings to be a good combination of performance and compatibility.
m
l
May 5, 2012 8:21:12 PM

Thanks alot for all your help. I have alot more research to do and Im sure more questions but for the meantime I appreciate your help.
m
l
May 5, 2012 8:22:03 PM

Best answer selected by RookiePCer.
m
l
!