Please help! struggling to select build components for micro atx

diddlydoo

Honorable
May 4, 2012
Hi Guys,

Please help me im new to home builds and really struggling and want to order my new PC this weekend.
Ive come up with this so far and I've gone 160 USD over my 950 USD budget! :( but will go for it.

GPU: Asus Radeon HD 7850 DirectCU II Graphics Card (2GB GDDR5, PCI Express 3.0, 870MHz/4840MHz, HDMI, DVI-I, DirectX 11.1)

MB: Gigabyte SKT-1155 Z77MX-D3H Motherboard very unsure which Mother board to get :(

CPU: Intel Core i5 2320 3.0 GHz Processor with Socket 1155, L3 6Mb, Sandy Bridge, 32nm - Intel

RAM: G-Skill 8GBXL Ripjaws X for Intel Sandybridge Platforms DDR3 PC12800 1600MHz 8GB Kit - 

HD: OCZ AGT3-25SAT3-60G Agility 3 60GB SATA III 2.5 inch SSD

PSU: CiT 650W Power Supply Unit with PSU and Dual 12V Rails - Black Edition

SCREEN: Samsung S22A300H 21.5 inch Widescreen LED Monitor (MEGA DCR, 1920 x 1080 Full HD, 2ms, HDMI/VGA) - Gloss Black

Anu suggestions will this all be compatible???? Many thanks dave

diddlydoo

Honorable
May 4, 2012
Please anyone? I'm begging here. Is the above build decent? Will i be able to play the latest games and does it have some longetivity , easy to upgrade etc?!

If you fill out the new build form in the new build section you would probably get lots of help.

You know the one in dark bold letters that says "HOW TO ASK FOR NEW BUILD ADVICE".

hold up im reviewing the parts. format is pretty poor. no links to parts or where you are purchasing from and how are we supposed to help you make it cheaper if you havent even labeled the price.

diddlydoo

Honorable
May 4, 2012
Thanks and sorry guys very new to this. I will post in the new build forum correctly with links. Thanks for showing me my error.

What country are you in and what online stores do you have available?

You may be able to trim the budget by using a Phenom II 965 CPU instead. It will perform the same as an i5-2320 for gaming and at least in the US is quite a bit cheaper.

diddlydoo

Honorable
May 4, 2012

Awesome thanks nekulturny that CPU is cheaper £78 as opposed to £130-00
Will it be compatible with the mother board I have chosen? thanks dave

I tried to reply to your post, it appears you did this one in the US forum, and that one in the UK forum. Now it appears to be closed altogether and I can't even finish my suggestions.

But anyways I suggest you look at this board if you can find it cheaper, if not get the Giga.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157301

Otherwise it all looks good except the psu. It's the most important part of the computer, don't cheap out. You only need about 300w. That 650w probably only puts out about 400w anyways, and it's inneficient, that's why it's so cheap.

Get something name brand with at least a basic 80+ certification like this bronze unit:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371034

This one is decent too

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026

Nah, you'd have to pick another motherboard, this would work
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asrock-Socket-970-Extreme4-Motherboard/dp/B0058HUQJ0/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1336255641&sr=1-2

Everything else in your build can be the same. I agree with Geekapproved on the power supply, although we always disagree on i5s vs Phenom IIs, lol so I won't go there. Its your system you're the one that has to live with it. Both will satisfy your requirements however.

diddlydoo

Honorable
May 4, 2012
Thanks so much guys appreciate the help!

Okay I've swapped the PSU for this OZC one more pricey but worth it as you say.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/OCZ-OCZ600MXSP-UK-ModXStream-Power-Supply/dp/B001GLFD54/ref=sr_1_8?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1336256966&sr=1-8

and I've changed my graphics card to a EVGA GeForce GTX 570 HD 1280MB GDDR5 only £10 more :)
http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/nvidiageforcegraphicscards/nvidiagtx570fermiseries/012-p3-1571-kr.html.

Okay now I cant decide between the Mother Board and CPUs. Intel vs AMD :pt1cable:

Core i5 2320 3.0 GHz Processor with Socket 1155, L3 6Mb, Sandy Bridge, 32nm + AsRock Z77 Pro4 Motherboard (Socket 1155, Intel Z77, Up to 32GB DDR3, ATX, USB 3.0, 4 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s, 100% All Solid Capacitor Design, Combo Cooler Option)
£129 + £99 = £228

AMD HDZ965FBGMBOX Phenom II X4 965 - 3.4 Ghz AM3 + Asrock Socket AM3+ 970 Extreme4 5200MT/S Motherboard
£80 + £78 = £158

I save £70 if i go for the AMd setup..Hmm which is better , faster and last longer for future upgrades? Will the AMD motherboard fit in a micro ATX case?

Thanks gain for all your help will be ordering this tomorrow :)

The motherboard I recommended is a full size ATX board, if you need a MicroATX, here is one, sorry I missed the title of the thread saying you needed a micro *blush*:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asrock-880GMH-U3S3-Micro-Atx-Motherboard/dp/B0054KLJ1U/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1336261668&sr=1-2

Careful asking about AMD vs Intel, you might start a war :lol:

I can say that I own a computer with the slightly better i5-2400 paired with a GTX 460 video card. Both that computer and the one in my signature performs exactly the same in gaming.

Furthermore with gaming, your video card matters a lot more than your CPU anyway, and the GTX 570 is a damn fine choice.

As far as which one is longer lasting for future upgrades.. Neither really. Next year, Intel will be rolling out with Haswell processors, they will not use the LGA1155 socket, and the verdict is still out on whether the next generation of CPUs on the AM3+ socket will be an improvement over the Phenom II.

Honestly, either CPU with a GTX 570 should give you a good 3 or 4 years of solid gaming performance anyway.

diddlydoo

Honorable
May 4, 2012
Ha typical going to finely get a new pc only to find out next year they're releasing the next gen..i can never keep up!

Anyway I'm going to pull the trigger and buy this thing! One last question what are your thoughts of GTX 570 HD vs Asus Radeon HD 7850 DirectCU II Graphics Card?

Thanks D

diddlydoo

Honorable
May 4, 2012
The case is Aplus Blockbuster Storm Black Micro ATX. It can take up to a 12" GPU so I should be okay.

Thanks again for the help its very much appreciated cant wait to put this thing together! :)

I don't know why you insist on still playing these little fanboy games. I own both of these CPUs, you dont own either of them. You're wrong, and we've been through this in other threads, you know the performance difference is virtually nil so you resort to power consumption as the foundation of your argument, which I've previously proved is irrelevant.

Edited some of the abrasiveness. This is childish. We are discussing a situation of an OP who has a system build that exceeds his/her stated budget and is looking for viable options to trim the budget without substantially sacrificing gaming performance. Now, if you can follow those guidelines you're very welcome to do so, but don't make stuff up as you go along please, people are investing money here.

We've done this before. We're not going there again geek. I have nothing to say to you, if the OP has questions, I will answer them, if I could find a way to ignore any post you make on this forum I would.

The op didn't ask for an HTPC, in fact the only time it was ever mentioned in this thread is when you brought it up. You really think somebody who is using a 7850 video card is looking for a HOME THEATER PC? ANY CPU on the market today can do the job in that capacity.

I interpreted the OPs request to be an affordable gaming PC, we must live on different planets. I like totally go to college for this k0mp4ter st0ffzz.

You're also the guy who tried to tell me that your i3-2100 only uses 30 watts, then edited the post 5 minutes later in hopes that I wouldn't notice it.

HTPC? Are you on the right thread??

Turns out I read quite well.....

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106.html

Quote:
"It turns out that the budget-oriented Sandy Bridge-based Pentium family performs very well in games. Specifically, Intel's $80 Pentium G630 beat the FX-4100, -6100, and -8120 in our recent sub-$200 CPU gaming comparison. In fact, it finished right on par with the Phenom II X4 955.

As a result, Intel displaces AMD at the bottom rung of our recommendation list yet again this month. That's something we haven't seen for a very long while. There's not much else to add, except that if you consider the Phenom II to be a capable gaming CPU, Intel's $70 Pentium G630 is just as viable.

An extra $20 buys you 300 MHz more compared to the $80 Pentium G630.

This makes enough of a performance difference to push today's $100 processor recommendation out in front of AMD's Phenom II X4 955 in our sub-$200 CPU gaming comparison.

More facts for the uninformed: Overclocking Benchmarks

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-apu-benchmark,3120-9.html

Anything else you need schooling in? Class dismissed.