Sign in with
Your question

Please help! struggling to select build components for micro atx

Last response: in Systems
May 5, 2012 4:15:34 PM

Hi Guys,

Please help me im new to home builds and really struggling and want to order my new PC this weekend.
Ive come up with this so far and I've gone 160 USD over my 950 USD budget! :(  but will go for it.

GPU: Asus Radeon HD 7850 DirectCU II Graphics Card (2GB GDDR5, PCI Express 3.0, 870MHz/4840MHz, HDMI, DVI-I, DirectX 11.1)

MB: Gigabyte SKT-1155 Z77MX-D3H Motherboard very unsure which Mother board to get :( 

CPU: Intel Core i5 2320 3.0 GHz Processor with Socket 1155, L3 6Mb, Sandy Bridge, 32nm - Intel

RAM: G-Skill 8GBXL Ripjaws X for Intel Sandybridge Platforms DDR3 PC12800 1600MHz 8GB Kit - 

HD: OCZ AGT3-25SAT3-60G Agility 3 60GB SATA III 2.5 inch SSD

PSU: CiT 650W Power Supply Unit with PSU and Dual 12V Rails - Black Edition

SCREEN: Samsung S22A300H 21.5 inch Widescreen LED Monitor (MEGA DCR, 1920 x 1080 Full HD, 2ms, HDMI/VGA) - Gloss Black

Anu suggestions will this all be compatible???? Many thanks dave
May 5, 2012 5:53:40 PM

Please anyone? I'm begging here. Is the above build decent? Will i be able to play the latest games and does it have some longetivity , easy to upgrade etc?!
May 5, 2012 7:09:12 PM

What do i have to do on this forum to get some help ?
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
May 5, 2012 7:12:38 PM

diddlydoo said:
What do i have to do on this forum to get some help ?

If you fill out the new build form in the new build section you would probably get lots of help.

You know the one in dark bold letters that says "HOW TO ASK FOR NEW BUILD ADVICE".
a b B Homebuilt system
May 5, 2012 7:15:06 PM

hold up im reviewing the parts. format is pretty poor. no links to parts or where you are purchasing from and how are we supposed to help you make it cheaper if you havent even labeled the price.
May 5, 2012 7:19:11 PM

Thanks and sorry guys very new to this. I will post in the new build forum correctly with links. Thanks for showing me my error.
a c 118 B Homebuilt system
May 5, 2012 7:34:48 PM

What country are you in and what online stores do you have available?

You may be able to trim the budget by using a Phenom II 965 CPU instead. It will perform the same as an i5-2320 for gaming and at least in the US is quite a bit cheaper.

May 5, 2012 8:19:23 PM

Hi nekulturny, I live in the UK I will have a look on amazon.co.uk for that CPU.

Geekapporved and dudewitbow Ive posted in the new build forum but have 0 replies. Ive added everything, links, prices and New build form filled in :) 

heres the link http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/345014-13-help-buil...

Many thanks guys appreciate all the help with this

Dave
May 5, 2012 8:24:35 PM

nekulturny said:
What country are you in and what online stores do you have available?

You may be able to trim the budget by using a Phenom II 965 CPU instead. It will perform the same as an i5-2320 for gaming and at least in the US is quite a bit cheaper.

Awesome thanks nekulturny that CPU is cheaper £78 as opposed to £130-00
Will it be compatible with the mother board I have chosen? thanks dave
a b B Homebuilt system
May 5, 2012 10:03:16 PM

diddlydoo said:
Hi nekulturny, I live in the UK I will have a look on amazon.co.uk for that CPU.

Geekapporved and dudewitbow Ive posted in the new build forum but have 0 replies. Ive added everything, links, prices and New build form filled in :) 

heres the link http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/345014-13-help-buil...

Many thanks guys appreciate all the help with this

Dave

I tried to reply to your post, it appears you did this one in the US forum, and that one in the UK forum. Now it appears to be closed altogether and I can't even finish my suggestions.
a b B Homebuilt system
May 5, 2012 10:05:06 PM

But anyways I suggest you look at this board if you can find it cheaper, if not get the Giga.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Otherwise it all looks good except the psu. It's the most important part of the computer, don't cheap out. You only need about 300w. That 650w probably only puts out about 400w anyways, and it's inneficient, that's why it's so cheap.

Get something name brand with at least a basic 80+ certification like this bronze unit:

This one is decent too

May 5, 2012 10:09:07 PM

diddlydoo said:
Awesome thanks nekulturny that CPU is cheaper £78 as opposed to £130-00
Will it be compatible with the mother board I have chosen? thanks dave

Nah, you'd have to pick another motherboard, this would work
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asrock-Socket-970-Extreme4-Moth...

Everything else in your build can be the same. I agree with Geekapproved on the power supply, although we always disagree on i5s vs Phenom IIs, lol so I won't go there. Its your system you're the one that has to live with it. Both will satisfy your requirements however.
May 5, 2012 10:52:08 PM

Thanks so much guys appreciate the help!

Okay I've swapped the PSU for this OZC one more pricey but worth it as you say.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/OCZ-OCZ600MXSP-UK-ModXStream-Po...

and I've changed my graphics card to a EVGA GeForce GTX 570 HD 1280MB GDDR5 only £10 more :) 
http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/nvidiagef....

Okay now I cant decide between the Mother Board and CPUs. Intel vs AMD :pt1cable: 

Core i5 2320 3.0 GHz Processor with Socket 1155, L3 6Mb, Sandy Bridge, 32nm + AsRock Z77 Pro4 Motherboard (Socket 1155, Intel Z77, Up to 32GB DDR3, ATX, USB 3.0, 4 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s, 100% All Solid Capacitor Design, Combo Cooler Option)
£129 + £99 = £228

AMD HDZ965FBGMBOX Phenom II X4 965 - 3.4 Ghz AM3 + Asrock Socket AM3+ 970 Extreme4 5200MT/S Motherboard
£80 + £78 = £158

I save £70 if i go for the AMd setup..Hmm which is better , faster and last longer for future upgrades? Will the AMD motherboard fit in a micro ATX case?

Thanks gain for all your help will be ordering this tomorrow :) 

May 5, 2012 11:54:28 PM

The motherboard I recommended is a full size ATX board, if you need a MicroATX, here is one, sorry I missed the title of the thread saying you needed a micro *blush*:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asrock-880GMH-U3S3-Micro-Atx-Mo...

Careful asking about AMD vs Intel, you might start a war :lol: 

I can say that I own a computer with the slightly better i5-2400 paired with a GTX 460 video card. Both that computer and the one in my signature performs exactly the same in gaming.

Furthermore with gaming, your video card matters a lot more than your CPU anyway, and the GTX 570 is a damn fine choice.

As far as which one is longer lasting for future upgrades.. Neither really. Next year, Intel will be rolling out with Haswell processors, they will not use the LGA1155 socket, and the verdict is still out on whether the next generation of CPUs on the AM3+ socket will be an improvement over the Phenom II.

Honestly, either CPU with a GTX 570 should give you a good 3 or 4 years of solid gaming performance anyway.
May 6, 2012 12:12:33 AM

Ha typical going to finely get a new pc only to find out next year they're releasing the next gen..i can never keep up!

Anyway I'm going to pull the trigger and buy this thing! One last question what are your thoughts of GTX 570 HD vs Asus Radeon HD 7850 DirectCU II Graphics Card?

Thanks D
May 6, 2012 12:24:57 AM

LOL, welcome to computers my friend, its a race that cant be won.

As far as those 2 video cards, they're both about the same, see for yourself:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/549?vs=518

The GTX 570 is slightly better, but both are perfectly acceptable. One final thought, you said you had a microATX case, just make sure the video cards will fit in it.. check out the dimensions before you pull the trigger.
May 6, 2012 10:22:15 AM

The case is Aplus Blockbuster Storm Black Micro ATX. It can take up to a 12" GPU so I should be okay.

Thanks again for the help its very much appreciated cant wait to put this thing together! :) 
a b B Homebuilt system
May 6, 2012 2:24:19 PM

Everyone knows a i5-2400 would absolutely destroy a 975 at 4ghz in ANY game while using a lot less power. I don't know why you keep trying to convince others out of reality.

May 6, 2012 2:34:14 PM

I don't know why you insist on still playing these little fanboy games. I own both of these CPUs, you dont own either of them. You're wrong, and we've been through this in other threads, you know the performance difference is virtually nil so you resort to power consumption as the foundation of your argument, which I've previously proved is irrelevant.

Edited some of the abrasiveness. This is childish. We are discussing a situation of an OP who has a system build that exceeds his/her stated budget and is looking for viable options to trim the budget without substantially sacrificing gaming performance. Now, if you can follow those guidelines you're very welcome to do so, but don't make stuff up as you go along please, people are investing money here.
a b B Homebuilt system
May 6, 2012 3:32:32 PM

Actually I'm a AMD fan, always have been so your Fanboy comments are complete ignorance.

This is about facts, until you can show some facts, stop spreading your FUD imagination.

The only thing childish is that you can't accept the facts.

Here's the facts. 980BE vs. i5-2400

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/362?vs=363

They look very similar in performance. Not!

May 6, 2012 3:35:32 PM

We've done this before. We're not going there again geek. I have nothing to say to you, if the OP has questions, I will answer them, if I could find a way to ignore any post you make on this forum I would.

a b B Homebuilt system
May 6, 2012 3:38:22 PM

Tom's Hardware even recommends a Pentium G over Phenom II X4/FX4100/FX6100/FX8120 in gaming.

Those are the facts. So stop telling people a X4 is going to perform similar to a i5, it's not even close.
May 6, 2012 3:53:21 PM

The op didn't ask for an HTPC, in fact the only time it was ever mentioned in this thread is when you brought it up. You really think somebody who is using a 7850 video card is looking for a HOME THEATER PC? ANY CPU on the market today can do the job in that capacity.

I interpreted the OPs request to be an affordable gaming PC, we must live on different planets. I like totally go to college for this k0mp4ter st0ffzz.

You're also the guy who tried to tell me that your i3-2100 only uses 30 watts, then edited the post 5 minutes later in hopes that I wouldn't notice it.

a b B Homebuilt system
May 6, 2012 3:57:01 PM

HTPC? Are you on the right thread??

Turns out I read quite well.....

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o...

Quote:
"It turns out that the budget-oriented Sandy Bridge-based Pentium family performs very well in games. Specifically, Intel's $80 Pentium G630 beat the FX-4100, -6100, and -8120 in our recent sub-$200 CPU gaming comparison. In fact, it finished right on par with the Phenom II X4 955.

As a result, Intel displaces AMD at the bottom rung of our recommendation list yet again this month. That's something we haven't seen for a very long while. There's not much else to add, except that if you consider the Phenom II to be a capable gaming CPU, Intel's $70 Pentium G630 is just as viable.

An extra $20 buys you 300 MHz more compared to the $80 Pentium G630.

This makes enough of a performance difference to push today's $100 processor recommendation out in front of AMD's Phenom II X4 955 in our sub-$200 CPU gaming comparison.

More facts for the uninformed: Overclocking Benchmarks

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-a...

Anything else you need schooling in? Class dismissed.
May 6, 2012 3:59:25 PM

Dillydoo, if you have any questions regarding your system, shoot me a PM, I'll be more than happy to help you out regardless of whether you choose an Intel or AMD system. I can't speak for anyone else, but it is my desire to help you find a system that meets your needs within a budget you can live with. Unfortunately others have different agendas, and for the sake of avoided deja vu, I will be bowing out of this thread.

Geek,

Once again you played the editing your post trick on me. Like you did with the 30 watt before.. You definitely did say HTPC, and yet again you have your own conscience to live with for accusing me of responding to something you "never said". You and I know you said it.

a b B Homebuilt system
May 6, 2012 4:14:29 PM

I always edit my posts after I post them, it's called proofreading, maybe you should try it before you post more FUD. I edit ALL my posts.

As far as the 30w, I never said different and I still stick with it, maybe you should go back and read the thread again. The TDP for a SB processor includes the cpu AND gpu.
May 6, 2012 4:20:50 PM

So you're denying that you said the OP needed an HTPC? Thats not "proofreading" thats called shooting from the hip and hoping nobody noticed that you shot yourself in the foot.
a b B Homebuilt system
May 6, 2012 4:28:15 PM

I don't know what your talking about HTPC dude, the title says "select build components for m-atx".

Funny how your trying to avoid your fact schooling by attempting to change the subject.
May 6, 2012 4:29:40 PM

I'm just not really interested in having the same argument I had with you before. YOU changed the subject by recommending things out of the OP's budget.

Again, I said, if you have a system to recommend that fits the budget, then by all means, please present one. It is you that changed this thread into a "pissing contest" by trying to take me on.
a b B Homebuilt system
May 6, 2012 4:33:42 PM

You have no argument, I showed you the facts, now you have nothing to argue about.

What did I recommend that was out of his budget???

I recommended he go with a cheaper motherboard and a better psu, please explain how that's out of his budget Mr. Fud.

You keep trying to ignore the facts and change the subject, but the more you keep talking the more ridiculous you sound.

5 posts ago you said you had nothing to say, yet you keep talking.
May 6, 2012 4:37:36 PM

Just for the sake of argument,, why not?

Lets go over your links AGAIN. Just for reference (again), the frame rate limitation of a typical computer monitor is 60FPS (60hz monitor=60FPS)

You can watch a video of what 30FPS gameplay looks like here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZJVxtOre_0

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/362?vs=363

Dragon Age of Origins Both CPUS exceed the frame rate limitation of the computer monitor.

Dawn of War. See above

World of Warcraft- See above

StarCraft II- Neither of them meet the frame rate limits, the i5-2400 comes close. However, anything above 40FPS is perfectly fluid for gameplay, hell even 30 FPS is sufficient.

Crysis Warhead- Both CPUs exceed the frame rate limits of the computer monitor

Far Cry 2- The Phenom II comes close, the i5-2400 exceeds

Left 4 Dead- Both of them more than double the frame rate limitation of the monitor.

Battlefield 3- With a GTX 580 it doesn't fricking matter what CPU you use at all.
http://www.techspot.com/review/458-battlefield-3-perfor...

a b B Homebuilt system
May 6, 2012 4:42:16 PM

Ok now your trying to change the subject to fps limitations of a monitor. ROFLMAO

I guess Tom's best gaming cpu's for the money is just complete FUD, they have no idea what they are talking about.

That's great that in BF3 the cpu doesn't matter if you use a GTX580....that has nothing to do with the facts we were discussing.
May 6, 2012 4:43:28 PM

Now. My summation.. The difference between actual gameplay when paired with a powerful video card is zero between the 2 CPUs, this has been my premise all along. The difference on the benchmark links, is just that.. benchmarks, they are entirely "on paper" and do not reflect actual experience while playing the game.

NOW. Class is dismissed.
a b B Homebuilt system
May 6, 2012 4:45:33 PM

Not to mention the link you posted is testing in single player mode.

That is black and white compared to multi-player mode where the cpu would make a HUGE difference.

Show me those benchmarks in MP mode and you'll see how very wrong you are.
May 6, 2012 4:49:44 PM

geekapproved said:
Ok now your trying to change the subject to fps limitations of a monitor. ROFLMAO

I guess Tom's best gaming cpu's for the money is just complete FUD, they have no idea what they are talking about.

That's great that in BF3 the cpu doesn't matter if you use a GTX580....that has nothing to do with the facts we were discussing.

Uhh.. well its probably over your head, but the point is you're paying more for performance you aren't going to notice. OF COURSE the monitors FPS frame rates are important, I don't understand why you have trouble understanding that? A CPU could send 9000 frames per second to the monitor, you're only going to see 60 of them, that youtube video demonstrates that you can play a game at 30 FPS and its perfectly fluid.

If you have the money for an i5 hey, GREAT. If you actually bother to read some of my other threads where I recommend builds you will find more often than not I recommend Intel CPUs than AMD. You will find that I do not dispute that i5s are the best choice IF THEY FIT YOUR BUDGET. The OP is looking for viable options to trim 160 dollars off his build, I did that.

You will find that I recommend if it is a choice for a gaming system between a cheaper CPU and a cheaper video card, the answer is almost always a cheaper CPU. In this case the OP is picking between a 7850 and a GTX 570, both are very powerful video cards, and great choices for a powerful gaming system.

Edited my post, I had a couple things backward. Unlike you, I will not be editing it to change facts around 1252pm EST
May 6, 2012 4:51:02 PM

geekapproved said:
Not to mention the link you posted is testing in single player mode.

That is black and white compared to multi-player mode where the cpu would make a HUGE difference.

Show me those benchmarks in MP mode and you'll see how very wrong you are.

The burden of proof is on you since you brought it up. You show the multiplayer benchmarks. If you think theres something a Phenom II can't do that an i5-2400 can then thats on you.
a b B Homebuilt system
May 6, 2012 4:52:14 PM

Ok you play BF3 MP at 30fps, I'll play at 60fps and while it may seem "fluid", I'm going to own you every time I see you, no doubt, simply because I have the upper hand in speed. Period.

If 30fps was perfect for MP gaming, everybody would be rocking Q6600's and a 6770, but we all know that's not how it works.
a b B Homebuilt system
May 6, 2012 4:53:32 PM

nekulturny said:
The burden of proof is on you since you brought it up. You show the multiplayer benchmarks. If you think theres something a Phenom II can't do that an i5-2400 can then thats on you.

There are no BF3 MP benchmarks, or I would post them.

There's nothing a Phenom II can't do that a i5-2400 can. But a i5-2400 can do EVERYTHING faster than a Phenom II, and I already showed that in the comparison benchmark I posted. The difference is huge.
May 6, 2012 4:54:38 PM

geekapproved said:
Ok you play BF3 MP at 30fps, I'll play at 60fps and while it may seem "fluid", I'm going to own you every time I see you, no doubt, simply because I have the upper hand in speed. Period.

If 30fps was perfect for MP gaming, everybody would be rocking Q6600's and a 6770, but we all know that's not how it works.

Youtube limits all video framerates to 30FPS, you can verify that with FRAPs. Care to make anything else up?
Battlefield 3 online.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5LKYNFpay8
a b B Homebuilt system
May 6, 2012 4:57:45 PM

YouTube?? What does someone playing BFE on youtube have to do with anything were talking about??

Wow, your really grasping at straws huh? LOL
May 6, 2012 4:59:07 PM

No,, you're grasping at straws by showing all kinds of charts, when me personally, I'm interested in what the game actually looks like. Meaning, you look at paper, and I'm looking at reality.

Even Communism looks good on paper
a b B Homebuilt system
May 6, 2012 5:01:12 PM

You said cpu doesn't matter when using a high end video card like a GTX580 or HD7850?

Facts using a HD7970, same settings, same games, different cpu's.

You need a 150w X4 955 (4ghz) just to keep up with a stock i3-2100 with a max tdp of 65w including gpu.

You my friend are the definition of Fanboy.
May 6, 2012 5:04:08 PM

geekapproved said:
You said cpu doesn't matter when using a high end video card like a GTX580 or HD7850?

Facts using a HD7970, same settings, same game, different cpu's.

You're still looking at paper.. Whats wrong with you?

Skryim 30 FPS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24u0agHLgy8

Starcraft II 30FPS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_8XBZ8yFxY

Just Cause 2 30FPS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxNBKbL5ZyM
a b B Homebuilt system
May 6, 2012 5:05:23 PM

I fail to see what a youtube video of someone playing a game actually has to do with this conversation, Should I post one of me playing too, I bet it looks great, however in reallity you have no idea what resolution they are playing at, or what settings.

Argue with Tom

'dual-core Pentium G630 and G860, which perform incredibly well, matching up to AMD's former Phenom II X4 955 flagship. At $80 and $100 respectively, both Sandy Bridge-based Pentiums boldly snatch the budget gaming CPU recommendation from the Athlon II CPUs we’re used to seeing dominate this segment. Granted, AMD's lowest-priced models are starting to go extinct as the company's APUs gain prominence anyway.

To that end, we were hoping to see the Llano-based APUs succeed the inexpensive Athlons under $100, impressing gamers with discrete graphics cards on strict budgets. Unfortunately, the results don't reflect a net gain. Even the multiplier-unlocked A8-3870K is unable to distinguish itself overclocked to 3.6 GHz.

With the sub-$100 Pentiums performing so well, Intel's $125 Core i3-2100 easily beats more expensive Phenom II and FX models. And the $190 Core i5-2400 dominates the sub-$200 landscape without challenge, really. As such, we're almost-shockingly left without an AMD CPU to recommend at any price point.'

Please pay attention to that LAST sentence. At ANY price point.

May 6, 2012 5:20:45 PM

geekapproved said:
I fail to see what a youtube video of someone playing a game actually has to do with this conversation, Should I post one of me playing too, I bet it looks great, however in reallity you have no idea what resolution they are playing at, or what settings.

Argue with Tom

'dual-core Pentium G630 and G860, which perform incredibly well, matching up to AMD's former Phenom II X4 955 flagship. At $80 and $100 respectively, both Sandy Bridge-based Pentiums boldly snatch the budget gaming CPU recommendation from the Athlon II CPUs we’re used to seeing dominate this segment. Granted, AMD's lowest-priced models are starting to go extinct as the company's APUs gain prominence anyway.

To that end, we were hoping to see the Llano-based APUs succeed the inexpensive Athlons under $100, impressing gamers with discrete graphics cards on strict budgets. Unfortunately, the results don't reflect a net gain. Even the multiplier-unlocked A8-3870K is unable to distinguish itself overclocked to 3.6 GHz.

With the sub-$100 Pentiums performing so well, Intel's $125 Core i3-2100 easily beats more expensive Phenom II and FX models. And the $190 Core i5-2400 dominates the sub-$200 landscape without challenge, really. As such, we're almost-shockingly left without an AMD CPU to recommend at any price point.'

Please pay attention to that LAST sentence. At ANY price point.

I do argue with Tom.. Why?

Point 1:
Article posting January, 30th 2012

Page 2 Test Setup

Prices- At the time of the articles writing there are factors not considered.
1. The Phenom II 965 is an identical chip as the more expensive 980. The article does not mention that in 2 seconds, you can make a 965 model perform like a 980 by changing the multiplier setting. The article doesn't even include a 965 model.

2. The Phenom IIs have dropped in price in the 4 months since that article was written. So the conclusion page is subject to re-examination.
Current prices per newegg- Same price, dual core vs quad core. Tomshardware bases the claim that the i3-2100 is a better buy for gaming based on petty, unnoticiable frame rate differences of 6 at the most extreme. Between the two at their current prices, flip a coin.

I personally recommend the 965, that doesn't make me "Wrong", maybe in your mind it does, but I've presented valid arguments in favor of the choice between the two. You're just so opinionated, you have to put words in my mouth and make me the "Bad guy". Facts are, in terms of actual gameplay experience, the chips all perform very well. For things beyond gaming (yes some of us do things other than play computer games all day, sorry to burst your bubble), the Phenom II 965's 2 extra cores do make a difference in applications that can make use of them, you already know this, and I know you know it.
Phenom II 965- 119.99
i3-2100 119.99
i5-2400 189.99
i5-2500k 219.99

3. I personally have benchmarked Metro 2033, I got substantially better results (if you bothered to look at any of the links I have posted) than reported, and I have a much lower quality video card than the one used in their test setup. So under that logic at least one of the six games they tested has flawed results.

4. Please pay attention to the date the article was written, what was true in January for prices is not true in May. AMD dropped the price of their CPUs, Intel did not. Intel doesn't believe in competitive pricing. Also, Don Wologroski is who wrote that article not some guy named "Tom", his results do not make sense logically. Hes showing CPUs that perform almost identically, and yet somehow one is "Better than the other", as if the difference was between a Yugo and a Ferrari. He also only benches the games in one resolution.
May 6, 2012 8:32:45 PM

geekapproved said:

Facts using a HD7970, same settings, same games, different cpu's.

You need a 150w X4 955 (4ghz) just to keep up with a stock i3-2100 with a max tdp of 65w including gpu.

You my friend are the definition of Fanboy.

We aren't friends. Lets not use such patronizing references.

Now let me get this straight for my information, you're saying that your i3-2100 PLUS your GPU only uses 65 watts? Really?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-rev...

Don't forget you've overclocked your 5850 so you've dramatically increased its power draw. Stock idle 27 watts, under load 151 watts.
http://hothardware.com/image_popup.aspx?image=big_slide...

You always keep coming back to this power consumption argument (its like your "go to" when you run out of reasonable arguments).. I've already addressed that. Lets go by anandtech since I believe their results more than your rhetorical claims. Under load their entire test system draws 106 watts, the Phenom II at 3.5GHZ draws 158. Now lets call it 200 at 4.0GHZ for the sake of argument. So the difference is 94 watts. So that means, if you ran your system under heavy load for a 24 hour period (something nobody would ever do) the price difference at 10 cents a killowatt hour would be 23 cents a day.

Now realistically, since like I said, nobody runs their computer under full load 24 hours a day. It doesnt specifiy on the article, but I do believe you'll agree with me they're using something like Prime95 to put the system under full load.. Lets look at the differences at idle.

73 watts on the i3 and 83 watts at idle on the Phenom II at 3.5GHZ. Again, I'll split the difference with you and say at 4.0GHZ and say its 100 watts. So that gives us a difference of 17 watts. At 10 cents a killowatt hour that translates to 4 cents per diem.

Please calm down, your CPU is very nice for a 120 dollar dual core, but it doesn't walk on water.
a c 113 B Homebuilt system
May 6, 2012 9:21:50 PM

You know, if you edit out the personal attacks and disrespect, you two are having a great discussion that actually has some value.

Sadly, it's not going to do anyone any good, especially the OP.

I think I have said this before, stop addressing one another in posts. Present solutions to the OP, not arguments to each other. Then all this goes away.

ebuyer
Dabs
http://www.scan.co.uk/

Really, all this could have been avoided.

1. Get all the facts.
2. Present a complete solution to the OP that matches the budget.
3. Supply links to reviews.
4. Move along.

Result: No arguments, no bickering, no bad feelings.

EVERY TIME I see this kind of thing I have also noticed something else. Neither of you has bothered with #2 above. You simply posted partial solutions.

Get a budget and make the best build at UK sites that you can out of the available funds. Easy.
May 6, 2012 9:55:51 PM

Dillydoo, Proxy is right and I apologize for derailing your thread. Here is a build using your foundation as well as the changes I would make to it. I'm not sure what the price rate conversions translate to in US dollars, as I used sites local to you for the purpose of making sure parts are available.

CPU- Phenom II 965 £87.99
http://www.dabs.com/products/amd-phenom-ii-x4-965-3-4gh...

Mobo- Asus AM3+-£49.99
http://www.dabs.com/products/asus-am3--amd-760g-ddr3-ua...

Video Card- GTX 570 £199.99
http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/nvidiagef...

RAM- Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB kit- 36.99
http://www.dabs.com/products/corsair-vengeance-8gb--2x4...

SSD- OCZ Agility 3- 59.98

http://www.dabs.com/products/ocz-technology-60gb-agilit...

Power- Corsair CX500- 43.99
http://www.dabs.com/products/corsair-500-watt-cx500-v2-...

Monitor- Samsung S22A300H 21.5' 1080p LCD- 110.08
http://www.dabs.com/products/samsung-s22a300h-21-5-w-lc...
!