Status
Not open for further replies.

h2l

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012
Ok so here's my problem. Whenever I play any videogames or movies, if the camera pans too quickly, it looks like the screens frames are overlapping eachother. Someone mentioned it was called strobing or ghosting, but I have no idea. I mean, I'm playing games that shouldn't be very taxing on my GPU, but I still get these stupid glitchy looking framerates. The graphics looks incredible, but it's like the frames are overlapping eachother, and it is really beginning to piss me off.

I'm wondering if it's a DirectX thing? To be honest, I have no idea what the problem could be.

Here's my rig:

i3-2120 @ 3.30GHz
Sapphire Radeon HD 6870
Seagate Barracuda 250GB 7200RPM
4GB Kingston 1333MHz HyperX RAM
Ultra 550W Dual 12v Rail PSU
Asus P8H61 mobo revision 3
Dell Widescreen monitor, max resolution 1440 x 900

I feel like I shouldn't be having this problem with the system I have considering both the GPU and CPU are actually really good components.

Also, for some reason the frame overlapping doesn't seem to happen when I play Bioshock, even when my screen is flying all over the place and there are explosions going off everywhere. It happens on Dead Island, it happens when I watch shows from Netflix, and it also happens when I watch movies/clips from youtube. I always put the resolution to 1080p, but it still always happens and I'm just getting really tired of it. I just want a SMOOTH picture, jeeze.

Solution
Have you updated your drivers to the latest version? maybe this is just a driver problem, also check if you have installed all the redist directx dlls that came with the game, sometimes you miss that on the installation and some of them do make difference.

EDIT: it is also good to upgrade your windows since you are not even using the 4GB you have...

h2l

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012
Also, could it maybe be my operating system? I am running Windows XP Professional 32Bit. I have been considering upgrading to Win7 Ultimate and getting 4 more gigs of ram...

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Have you updated your drivers to the latest version? maybe this is just a driver problem, also check if you have installed all the redist directx dlls that came with the game, sometimes you miss that on the installation and some of them do make difference.

EDIT: it is also good to upgrade your windows since you are not even using the 4GB you have...

Solution

h2l

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012
Also, here are my temps if anyone is interested...

64580669.png

h2l

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012

Right now I am installing the latest driver for the GPU from the AMD site, so I'm going to do that and then check back.

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011

that is also true, recording videos at native resolution may cause some frames to be lost but you've said that it happened on dead island, so try installing the games _Redist folder;

h2l

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012
Nope. Not recording. I can care less about recording what I play.

It worked!!! I installed the new driver for the AMD website and I get no more flickering! Smooooooth gameplay! I am seriously extremely happy with this rig now. I can't wait to play BF3! Everything, including videos looks so much better and smoother now.

Thanks so much ricardois!

h2l

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012
I'm going to upgrade to Win7 ultimate and get 4 more gigs of ram, and then my build should be pretty complete, don't yah think? I love this machine though, it's already super freakin fast.

Anyways, thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.