Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

First Build - Need some temperature help/advice - Please help

Last response: in CPUs
Share
August 20, 2012 2:59:20 AM

I just finished my first PC build and I turned it on for the first time and I'm in the BIOS menu looking around.
I was looking around the Fan Control/Real Time Monitoring and I noticed these temperatures.
Could anyone please tell me if these are ok/normal??

Processor Temperature: 67-69 Celsius
PCH Temperature: 51-52 Celsius
Memory Temperature: 38-40 Celsius
VR Temperature: 41-43 Celsius

The CPU fan is going at about 1140-1205 RPM
The Front fan is working but is showing up as 0 RPM, which is only because it's plugged into the PSU not the motherboard (the wire just a millimeter too short :fou: 
The Rear fan (exhaust) is going at about 660-680 RPM

I'm using an Intel i5-2500 CPU with the stock CPU fan and I did not apply any thermal paste of my own

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004EBUXI0/ref=oh_deta...

I'm using the Cooler Master HAF 912

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZM7YTA/ref=oh_deta...

I'm using the Intel Desktop Board Media Series Micro-ATX Form Factor for Second Generation Intel Core Family Processors BOXDH67BLB3

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Q7JRJI/ref=oh_deta...

------------

My idea is to get some Arctic Silver Thermal Paste and apply that to the CPU and get a 200mm fan for the top of the case.

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-MegaFlow-Computer-R...

-------

Any thoughts/opinions/help/tips/advice anything would be greatly appreciated. This is my first build so I'm new to this :) 

And I have not installed the Operating System yet because it has not yet arrived. If it matters, it's going to be 64 bit Windows Home Premium.

And also, if it matters, the video card I'm using is the EVGA GTX 560

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0050I1PHO/ref=oh_deta...

And the memory I'm using is 8 Gb (2 X 4Gb) DDR3 RAM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004DDI0IE/ref=oh_deta...

------------------

THANK YOU :) 
a c 899 à CPUs
August 20, 2012 11:15:11 AM

Everything is fine except CPU temp which is high, maybe reseating it with new paste will lower it.
m
0
l
August 20, 2012 12:03:11 PM

Would agree with the above, however instead of Arctic silver i would recommend

Arctic Cooling Arctic MX-4

Its a better thermal paste and its non conductive so its a bit safer in general if you accidentally apply too much paste and it comes off the edge of your CPU onto other components.
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

August 20, 2012 1:25:38 PM

I agree with the above posts.

On a personal note, whenever I check my temps in the BIOS as opposed to say, via software within Windows, I read higher in the BIOS.

Maybe it's because thermal/power management in the BIOS isn't on and when in Windows it's active? Just speculating.

Try reading the temps when on desktop?
Share
August 20, 2012 7:34:33 PM

abegnale said:
I agree with the above posts.

On a personal note, whenever I check my temps in the BIOS as opposed to say, via software within Windows, I read higher in the BIOS.

Maybe it's because thermal/power management in the BIOS isn't on and when in Windows it's active? Just speculating.

Try reading the temps when on desktop?


I've heard of similar experiences, regarding the different temperature readings in BIOS and in Windows.
I'll check the temperatures again once Windows 7 arrives.

Thank you! I was concerned about this and I appreciate the answers I got. :) 
m
0
l
August 20, 2012 7:40:25 PM

rolli59 said:
Everything is fine except CPU temp which is high, maybe reseating it with new paste will lower it.


Yeah I hope so.
Thanks for the reply! :) 
m
0
l
August 20, 2012 7:42:05 PM

Baldwonder said:
Would agree with the above, however instead of Arctic silver i would recommend

Arctic Cooling Arctic MX-4

Its a better thermal paste and its non conductive so its a bit safer in general if you accidentally apply too much paste and it comes off the edge of your CPU onto other components.


Thanks! :) 
m
0
l
August 30, 2012 4:52:15 AM

abegnale said:
I agree with the above posts.

On a personal note, whenever I check my temps in the BIOS as opposed to say, via software within Windows, I read higher in the BIOS.

Maybe it's because thermal/power management in the BIOS isn't on and when in Windows it's active? Just speculating.

Try reading the temps when on desktop?


So just as an update, I ended up ordering Arctic Silver 5 and a Cooler Master 120mm LED fan.

The fan is a beast. 2000RPM and a bit on the loud side but it's really efficient.

I did some cable management and along with the fan, the airflow has REALLY improved.

Also, you were right about the idea that temp readings in BIOS are higher. I installed Windows 7 and some utilities for my motherboard and that, along with the fan/cable management I mentioned above, I got these readings.

Processor Temperature: 38 C
PCH Temperature: 48 C
Memory Temperature: 34 C
VR Temperature: 33 C
Hard Drive Temp: 39 C

Quite an improvement :D 

Thanks for the tips!
m
0
l
August 30, 2012 4:53:14 AM

Best answer selected by Sam2T47.
m
0
l
September 1, 2012 6:38:28 PM

Sam2T47 said:
So just as an update, I ended up ordering Arctic Silver 5 and a Cooler Master 120mm LED fan.

The fan is a beast. 2000RPM and a bit on the loud side but it's really efficient.

I did some cable management and along with the fan, the airflow has REALLY improved.

Also, you were right about the idea that temp readings in BIOS are higher. I installed Windows 7 and some utilities for my motherboard and that, along with the fan/cable management I mentioned above, I got these readings.

Processor Temperature: 38 C
PCH Temperature: 48 C
Memory Temperature: 34 C
VR Temperature: 33 C
Hard Drive Temp: 39 C

Quite an improvement :D 

Thanks for the tips!


Hi Sam,

You're welcome. If you dare to go even further to drop the CPU temp, you can lap the CPU's heat spreader as well as the heatsink. I just did this recently and I've dropped temps significantly (10C less from what I used to run; either it was a bad install to begin with or my AMD 955BE's contact surface was just really bad) but please note, it voids the warranty. Results may vary but AFAIK the minimum lost temp would be 2-3C.

Enjoy!
m
0
l
November 7, 2013 3:06:44 AM

First thing you do with any received CPU: Grab a pure alcohol medi-swab (buy them from your doctor) and a scalpel, and get rid of the worhtless thermal paste that comes on the heat sinks. Most of hte ones I get are pretty much SET by the time it gets to me and covers it in strips. Worthless, get rid of it all and throw down a layer of thermal take ice fusion or another good quality thermal paste. I've seen CPU temperatures drop by 20 degrees celcius under identical conditions just from doing this. Although granted that was an etreme case of dodgey thermal paste. But still, do it. One bottle of ice fusion lasts for like 100 CPU installations and its about $20.
m
0
l
!