Sign in with
Your question
Solved

External HDD to Wireless Network to USB port on TV

Last response: in Wireless Networking
July 15, 2011 10:11:15 AM

Hello everyone,

I seem to have ran myself into a dead end. Can't figure out how to accomplish what I need.

Basically, I need my external hard drive connected to my wireless network so I can have access to it from two computers BUT I want to be able to stream my videos/music via a USB 2.0 wire directly to my TV.

The problem with this configuration is that the hard drive has one input/output USB 2.0 port. I am going to hook it up to a network enclosure which will solve the having the hard drive to wireless network...but how can I stream data via a USB cable to my TV?

A friend of mine told me that I can have a USB connection from my desktop going to the TV - this will achieve the data going from my external hard drive via the network to my desktop and from my desktop to my TV via USB

Does this sound like I am on the right track? I am unsure as to whether I will need any software solutions to be able to have access to the data on the hard drive from my TV..

Any input is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks

July 15, 2011 2:33:13 PM

If you use your tv as one of the screen of your desktop, then you can watch video on your tv.

NAS by LAN to wifi router, wifi from wifi router to desktop and a choice of video connection you want to use from desktop to tv.

NAS=====wifi router ((o)) PC----------TV
m
l
July 15, 2011 8:40:38 PM

Hi Pyree!

Thanks for your help.... the problem is that my LED TV is a 42" which I have mounted on a wall in the living room...and the desktop is in another room altogether.

Theoretically, I could just run an S-Video cable from the desktop to the TV...but I'm aiming more for being able to access my hard drive via the TV (USB connection) yet still have access to it via wifi.

:heink: 
m
l
Related resources
July 16, 2011 2:05:16 AM

Then you need a wifi media player connected to your tv. Sorry cannot help you with pick a good one since I never use one.
m
l
July 16, 2011 4:09:18 AM

I think the simplest thing to do in my case would be to just suck it up and buy an ethernet enabled drive...that way it can be used as network storage and hooked up to the TV at the same time with minimal wiring.
m
l
July 16, 2011 4:53:27 AM

But how are you going to play the video from the hard drive on your tv? do you already have a media player or does the tv have it buildin?
m
l
July 16, 2011 2:06:45 PM

The TV has the media player built in. The real issue is I either have to have the hard drive either connected to the TV or to the network enclosure because there's only one USB outlet on the drive.

I think NAS is the only way to go around that.
m
l

Best solution

July 16, 2011 2:21:27 PM

Ok, just have to make sure you have the right gear. Some people experience problem with attaching NAS to LAN and usb to media player at the same time. They can attach either one of them but not both at the same time. So you may want to be careful at choosing your NAS. Unfortunatly, that I cannot help you with choosing. As I mentioned before, I don't own NAS, I use a desktop to manage the network.
July 17, 2011 2:31:15 PM

Thanks for your help Pyree.

I will definitely do my research before buying a NAS...will also come back and ask around here.

Thanks again buddy
m
l
July 17, 2011 2:31:49 PM

Best answer selected by 0bl1vion.
m
l
!