Solved

GPU compatible with my Motherboard

Hello, I am interested in buying a new gaming computer. Building a custom build seems cheaper in general, so I'm going to try that! I haven't built a computer myself, so I'm going to be reading many tutorials! :)
Anyway, I've chosen a Motherboard on Newegg: MSI H61M-P31 (G3) LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
Are there any GPUs on Newegg that are compatible with it? And if it's a bad Motherboard, please tell me that as well. Thanks in advance!
Also - if you need to know the rest of my choices thus far (I'm missing a PSU and cooling system) please let me know. Thanks!
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about compatible motherboard
  1. Well, you can't OC on that board (or any H61 board, for that matter) if you planned to, and MSI doesn't make the best boards out there, but GPU choice is a non factor. You can go with whatever you want, in that respect.
  2. DJDeCiBeL said:
    OC = Overclock :)

What CPU are you planning to use?

CPU: Intel Pentium G850 Sandy Bridge 2.9GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623G850
    Hopefully it's a decent CPU - I can't interpret most of it but I understand that 2.9GHz is good in most cases.
  3. DJDeCiBeL said:
    Well, you can't OC on that board (or any H61 board, for that matter) if you planned to, and MSI doesn't make the best boards out there, but GPU choice is a non factor. You can go with whatever you want, in that respect.

I must be really bad at this - I don't know what OC means. :P Anyway, could you recommend a good Motherboard?
  4. ghostmancer said:
    I must be really bad at this - I don't know what OC means. :P Anyway, could you recommend a good Motherboard?

OC = Overclock :)

What CPU are you planning to use?
  5. I should have asked about a budget too, but a H61 board will be just fine for that CPU.

I would go with something like this, though ASUS P8H61-M LX PLUS (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS $69.99

A much better quality board.
  6. The first thing that I see I don't like about that board, is that any graphics card will cover at least 2 of your SATA headers, making them all but unusable w/o the proper right angle connectors. And even them, it's iffy.

If you want to stay in that price range, check out an Asrock board: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157326
    DJDeCiBeL's choice is also good.
  7. DJDeCiBeL said:
    I should have asked about a budget too, but a H61 board will be just fine for that CPU.

I would go with something like this, though ASUS P8H61-M LX PLUS (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS $69.99

A much better quality board.

Ok, that one's all right as long as it's compatible with the CPU. :) Now what GPU should I choose for gaming?
    In regards to a budget, I don't want it too expensive but I don't want a bad computer - I'll change parts later if I need to.
  8. Best answer
    ghostmancer said:
    Ok, that one's all right as long as it's compatible with the CPU. :) Now what GPU should I choose for gaming?
    In regards to a budget, I don't want it too expensive but I don't want a bad computer - I'll change parts later if I need to.

Yeah, that board is a perfect match for that CPU, actually.

As far as a GPU goes, like I said, you can go with anything you want, really, but a GTX 560 or Radeon HD 6850 and anything above them (basically that price range and above) would be my suggestion.

A 550 Ti or Radeon HD 7770 would suffice for lighter gaming, though.
  9. Best answer selected by ghostmancer.
  10. DJDeCiBeL said:
    Yeah, that board is a perfect match for that CPU, actually.

As far as a GPU goes, like I said, you can go with anything you want, really, but a GTX 560 or Radeon HD 6850 and anything above them (basically that price range and above) would be my suggestion.

A 550 Ti or Radeon HD 7770 would suffice for lighter gaming, though.

OK, thanks! I'll do some research on the GTX and the Radeon. :) Good night.
    (Or good morning depending on your time zone.)
  11. ghostmancer said:
    OK, thanks! I'll do some research on the GTX and the Radeon. :) Good night.
    (Or good morning depending on your time zone.)

Night, actually, and you're welcome. :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Computers Compatibility Motherboards Components Product