Sign in with
Your question
Solved

GPU compatible with my Motherboard

Last response: in Components
August 20, 2012 3:12:59 AM

Hello, I am interested in buying a new gaming computer. Building a custom build seems cheaper in general, so I'm going to try that! I haven't built a computer myself, so I'm going to be reading many tutorials! :) 
Anyway, I've chosen a Motherboard on Newegg: MSI H61M-P31 (G3) LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
Are there any GPUs on Newegg that are compatible with it? And if it's a bad Motherboard, please tell me that as well. Thanks in advance!
Also - if you need to know the rest of my choices thus far (I'm missing a PSU and cooling system) please let me know. Thanks!
a c 137 V Motherboard
August 20, 2012 3:16:57 AM

Well, you can't OC on that board (or any H61 board, for that matter) if you planned to, and MSI doesn't make the best boards out there, but GPU choice is a non factor. You can go with whatever you want, in that respect.
m
l
August 20, 2012 3:23:12 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
OC = Overclock :) 

What CPU are you planning to use?

CPU: Intel Pentium G850 Sandy Bridge 2.9GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623G850
Hopefully it's a decent CPU - I can't interpret most of it but I understand that 2.9GHz is good in most cases.
m
l
Related resources
August 20, 2012 3:23:14 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Well, you can't OC on that board (or any H61 board, for that matter) if you planned to, and MSI doesn't make the best boards out there, but GPU choice is a non factor. You can go with whatever you want, in that respect.

I must be really bad at this - I don't know what OC means. :p  Anyway, could you recommend a good Motherboard?
m
l
a c 137 V Motherboard
August 20, 2012 3:23:48 AM

ghostmancer said:
I must be really bad at this - I don't know what OC means. :p  Anyway, could you recommend a good Motherboard?

OC = Overclock :) 

What CPU are you planning to use?
m
l
a c 477 V Motherboard
August 20, 2012 3:30:55 AM

The first thing that I see I don't like about that board, is that any graphics card will cover at least 2 of your SATA headers, making them all but unusable w/o the proper right angle connectors. And even them, it's iffy.

If you want to stay in that price range, check out an Asrock board: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
DJDeCiBeL's choice is also good.
m
l
August 20, 2012 3:37:58 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
I should have asked about a budget too, but a H61 board will be just fine for that CPU.

I would go with something like this, though ASUS P8H61-M LX PLUS (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS $69.99

A much better quality board.

Ok, that one's all right as long as it's compatible with the CPU. :)  Now what GPU should I choose for gaming?
In regards to a budget, I don't want it too expensive but I don't want a bad computer - I'll change parts later if I need to.
m
l

Best solution

a c 137 V Motherboard
August 20, 2012 3:41:18 AM

ghostmancer said:
Ok, that one's all right as long as it's compatible with the CPU. :)  Now what GPU should I choose for gaming?
In regards to a budget, I don't want it too expensive but I don't want a bad computer - I'll change parts later if I need to.

Yeah, that board is a perfect match for that CPU, actually.

As far as a GPU goes, like I said, you can go with anything you want, really, but a GTX 560 or Radeon HD 6850 and anything above them (basically that price range and above) would be my suggestion.

A 550 Ti or Radeon HD 7770 would suffice for lighter gaming, though.
August 20, 2012 3:43:50 AM

Best answer selected by ghostmancer.
m
l
August 20, 2012 3:45:25 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Yeah, that board is a perfect match for that CPU, actually.

As far as a GPU goes, like I said, you can go with anything you want, really, but a GTX 560 or Radeon HD 6850 and anything above them (basically that price range and above) would be my suggestion.

A 550 Ti or Radeon HD 7770 would suffice for lighter gaming, though.

OK, thanks! I'll do some research on the GTX and the Radeon. :)  Good night.
(Or good morning depending on your time zone.)
m
l
a c 137 V Motherboard
August 20, 2012 3:46:15 AM

ghostmancer said:
OK, thanks! I'll do some research on the GTX and the Radeon. :)  Good night.
(Or good morning depending on your time zone.)

Night, actually, and you're welcome. :) 
m
l
!