Pentium Tiers?

daiwek

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
I know that the tier list of the iX series is i3,i5,i7. I am not familiar with the Pentium series. I know that there are the 4 and Ds but that's all I know. I'm trying to upgrade my friend's PC. He's not much of a gamer but it's just too damn slow. :D

Solution
Pentium, like Celeron, is just a trademark which Intel insists on hanging on it like a childhood teddybear.

The actual pentium processor lineups are: Pentium, Pentium Pro, Pentium II, Pentium III, Pentium 4, Pentium D

These don't mean much though because Pentium 4 alone had 5 different core revisions across 4 die shrinks and spanned 3 sockets on the desktop alone (socket 423, socket 478, socket 775).

Now pentium is just a generic identifier for low end Intel processors and does not refer to a particular chain of architectures.

Core 2 processors are based off of the Core microarchitecture which itself is based off the Pentium III (P6) architecture.

Nehalem takes some features from Core 2 and some from Netburst but is an entirely new...
Pentium, like Celeron, is just a trademark which Intel insists on hanging on it like a childhood teddybear.

The actual pentium processor lineups are: Pentium, Pentium Pro, Pentium II, Pentium III, Pentium 4, Pentium D

These don't mean much though because Pentium 4 alone had 5 different core revisions across 4 die shrinks and spanned 3 sockets on the desktop alone (socket 423, socket 478, socket 775).

Now pentium is just a generic identifier for low end Intel processors and does not refer to a particular chain of architectures.

Core 2 processors are based off of the Core microarchitecture which itself is based off the Pentium III (P6) architecture.

Nehalem takes some features from Core 2 and some from Netburst but is an entirely new architecture.

Sandybridge is a heavily revised version of Nahelem

Solution

InvalidError

Titan

OP was looking to upgrade his friend's PC. Since LGA775 is history, PGA478 would be even more "historier" and not something OP should want to upgrade to.

He asked about something "Pentiummy" and the only Pentiums worth buying currently (unless there are special circumstances dictating otherwise) are the G-series.

InvalidError

Titan

Whatever OP is upgrading from, nothing LGA775 or older is worth finding a new CPU for unless looking for a Core2Quad. Better off spending $150 on a CPU+motherboard+RAM upgrade otherwise.