New job at I am now a sears electronic associate

followthedon

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
Hi ever one. I am new to tom's hardware and you could say I am a newbie. I just happened to get a job at sears as a electronic associate but have not yet even been to training and I am worried I don't know much. I thought the job would be more computer orientated because I know more about computers then any type of electronic device but the store dose not sell computers only off there website. Was wondering if anyone has worked at sears as a electronic person or worked at best-buy or any of the big companies. I know some things about TV and other products but how much do they teach you at training, I have been searching the internet for more knowledge, also I am worried about the cash register prat of the job. I have never really operated a cash-register and there cash-register I believe are hooked up to a computer and look more complicated. If anyone has ever done this before or operated a sears cash register your opinion would be helpful. Also as you can tell by this post my spelling and grammar are atrocious. I have misspelled a lot and fixed a lot on this post myself but the grammar is horrible. I am dyslexic and was wondering how much spelling is really re queried not a question I wanted to ask them in the interview processes because it makes me look stupid. (used spell-check to respell like 20 words this post) any how thanks for the help

wanamingo

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
I used to work in a staples (worst job ever) and was overwhelmed by the amount of product specific questions people asked me. You'll pick it up slowly if you keep at it.

One of the things that really helped me was ask a lot of questions. If a customer gets pissy because you dont know which washers are energy efficient ask another employee or refer to the info along with each product. The great thing about asking questions is you only have to ask them once or twice before you know the answer off the top of your head.

After a few weeks of asking questions constantly you'll be right in the groove of things. And you'll be surprised how few questions actually get asked, most people have the same concerns and the same question regarding products.

Also when selling remember to talk with the person, engage them and steer the conversation. If you get a shitty customer (And you will) ask them some curve balls.
And keep the ball in their court.

followthedon

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
Perhaps your right just talking to people and asking questions is probably the best way to do it. In the past couple of days I have already learned just from the internet more electronic tech then I ever knew before. First day of work at sears was today, rather boring today just a lot of forms, they have this old computer training stuff and all I really did today was go over lame sexual harassment in workplace scenarios and work safety and rather boring stuff hopefully tomorrow is going to be a bit more exciting and less brain stealing.