[SOLVED] Question mark/gray screen of death

Status
Not open for further replies.

tedsomango

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
i received a folder with a question mark upon the start up screen and it blinks insistently, i uses startup/install disk, i was able to boot a menu that said i was unable to install osx, but i could run a starup disk, i ran start up same thing happens question mark. I assume it is an issue with the harddrive...?

If hard drive is they anyway to recover data lost?

Solution
Follow the procedures outlined in this article. Failing that, I'd take the computer to a professional. If you want to try yourself, and the data isn't irreplaceable, Goggle "os x disk recovery tools" to find a few tools to try. But be aware that, with any attempt to recover data from a failed disk, do-it-yourself is very likely to make the situation worse, to the extent that even a professional will be unable to save the data.
Follow the procedures outlined in this article. Failing that, I'd take the computer to a professional. If you want to try yourself, and the data isn't irreplaceable, Goggle "os x disk recovery tools" to find a few tools to try. But be aware that, with any attempt to recover data from a failed disk, do-it-yourself is very likely to make the situation worse, to the extent that even a professional will be unable to save the data.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.