Where are my bookmarks?

I went to www.mywirelesswindow.com and set some bookmarks on the "My Info"
page.

How do I use these on my Cingular - Motorola V551?
I see a bookmarks page, but that only contains the URLs I have added at
tthe phone, and those don't appear in mywirelesswindow.

--
---

In <dcbhim$ik$1@blue.rahul.net> on Thu, 28 Jul 2005 21:09:42 +0000 (UTC),
dold@XWhereXare.usenet.us.com wrote:

>I went to www.mywirelesswindow.com and set some bookmarks on the "My Info"
>page.
>
>How do I use these on my Cingular - Motorola V551?
>I see a bookmarks page, but that only contains the URLs I have added at
>tthe phone, and those don't appear in mywirelesswindow.

Bookmarks in the phone and on the Cingular website are different. You have to
access the Cingular website to use the bookmarks stored there.

> Bookmarks in the phone and on the Cingular website are different. You
> have to access the Cingular website to use the bookmarks stored there.

I misunderstood an earlier post from you, then.
I thought you were using mywirelesswindow to set bookmarks that you could
later access from your phone, as an easier way to enter longish URLs.
Or do I go to an associated MediaNet URL to get at that set of bookmarks
from my phone?

--
---

In <dcbtpu$a1o$3@blue.rahul.net> on Fri, 29 Jul 2005 00:38:22 +0000 (UTC),
dold@XReXXWhere.usenet.us.com wrote:

>John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>> Bookmarks in the phone and on the Cingular website are different. You
>> have to access the Cingular website to use the bookmarks stored there.
>
>I misunderstood an earlier post from you, then.
>I thought you were using mywirelesswindow to set bookmarks that you could
>later access from your phone, as an easier way to enter longish URLs.
>Or do I go to an associated MediaNet URL to get at that set of bookmarks
>from my phone?

1. Your phone has a browser that can set and use its own bookmarks without
using any Cingular wapsite.

2. Cingular has a wapsite where you can set bookmarks (with a PC web browser),
but you can only use those bookmarks when your phone is accessing the wapsite.

Those are two different things.

On some of my webpages I do describe using mywirelesswindow to set bookmarks
that you can access from your phone, but you do have to go to the wapsite to
use them. The Cingular wapsite is accessed through the configuration of WAP
in the phone.

You can also set these same bookmarks in the phone itself.

I describe the mywirelesswindow procedure because it's more universal --
different phones set internal bookmarks differently.

> 1. Your phone has a browser that can set and use its own bookmarks
> without using any Cingular wapsite.

My thumbs aren't nimble enough for that ;-)

> 2. Cingular has a wapsite where you can set bookmarks (with a PC web
> browser), but you can only use those bookmarks when your phone is
> accessing the wapsite.

That's what I set and can't seem to locate via the Cingular interface on
my phone. If I press the orange jack on my V551, or select the default
browser, which is pointed to http://device.home I get a short menu and can
go places, but I don't see those other bookmarks.
It looks just like viewing this on a PC browser.
http://dmxml.infospace.com/_1_2K9HTH03WII9ZY__infow.sbcw/x/app/home/index.xhtml

> On some of my webpages I do describe using mywirelesswindow to set
> bookmarks that you can access from your phone, but you do have to go to
> the wapsite to use them. The Cingular wapsite is accessed through the
> configuration of WAP in the phone.

That's the piece I'm missing. I only see device.home. I don't see how to
get to the wapsite that is referred to as "My Info" on the mywirelesswindow
web site.

> You can also set these same bookmarks in the phone itself.

If I could browse to the web-configured list, I could visit the site and
bookmark it on the phone, or at least bookmark the bookmark page, if I ever
find it ;-(

> I describe the mywirelesswindow procedure because it's more universal --
> different phones set internal bookmarks differently.

Not to mention easier on the thumbs, if I could just find it on my phone.

--
---

In <dcdnu6$hqa$1@blue.rahul.net> on Fri, 29 Jul 2005 17:10:30 +0000 (UTC),
dold@XReXXWhere.usenet.us.com wrote:

>John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

>> 2. Cingular has a wapsite where you can set bookmarks (with a PC web
>> browser), but you can only use those bookmarks when your phone is
>> accessing the wapsite.
>
>That's what I set and can't seem to locate via the Cingular interface on
>my phone. If I press the orange jack on my V551, or select the default
>browser, which is pointed to http://device.home I get a short menu and can
>go places, but I don't see those other bookmarks.
>It looks just like viewing this on a PC browser.
>http://dmxml.infospace.com/_1_2K9HTH03WII9ZY__infow.sbcw/x/app/home/index.xhtml

Hmmm... I just checked and you're right -- those folks have mucked again with
their WAP page, and "My Info" is no longer to be found. [sigh] Time to call
Customer Care.

> Hmmm... I just checked and you're right -- those folks have mucked again with
> their WAP page, and "My Info" is no longer to be found. [sigh] Time to call
> Customer Care.

I _knew_ it should be simpler than what I was seeing ;-)

--
---

In <dce0q6$s3l$1@blue.rahul.net> on Fri, 29 Jul 2005 19:41:58 +0000 (UTC),
dold@XReXXWhere.usenet.us.com wrote:

>John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>> Hmmm... I just checked and you're right -- those folks have mucked again with
>> their WAP page, and "My Info" is no longer to be found. [sigh] Time to call
>> Customer Care.
>
>I _knew_ it should be simpler than what I was seeing ;-)

According to Customer Care, "My Info" was removed from the Cingular WAP page
about two months ago. No word as to the reason, or to whether it will be
coming back or not. (I filed a complaint.) So for the time being at least,
you'll have to set bookmarks in the phone.

Another possible way to get bookmarks to your phone is to send them as text
messages from your computer using the Cingular email-SMS gateway (to
MOBILENUMBER@CingularMe.com). My Sony Ericsson Z600 is smart enough to make
links appearing in SMS messages active automatically, so all I have to do is
highlight the link, and then use the More menu to save it as a bookmark.
Since I have a MEdia package with LOTS of text messages, the incremental cost
of doing this is zero.

> According to Customer Care, "My Info" was removed from the Cingular WAP
> page about two months ago. No word as to the reason, or to whether it
> will be coming back or not. (I filed a complaint.) So for the time
> being at least, you'll have to set bookmarks in the phone.

> Another possible way to get bookmarks to your phone is to send them as
> text messages from your computer using the Cingular email-SMS gateway (to
> MOBILENUMBER@CingularMe.com).

I did send a link to myself that way.
If I knew what the long link was for My Info, I would send it.

That begs the question of the different email paths to my phone. I see so
many different ones. I know some are SMS messages, some are data, and some
wind up at the mywirelesswindow page that I could have used if I had access
a couple of months ago ;-)

email to mywirelesswindow: 10digits@mycingular.com
email phone: 10digits@mobile.mycingular.com
email phone: 10digits@cingularME.com

--
---

fred

It seems that every time I try and save a bookmark to my phone I get an
error message that the address is too long.

Fred

In <c4SGe.3105$MO.818@lakeread04> on Sat, 30 Jul 2005 17:13:42 -0400, "Fred"
<none@abc.com> wrote:

>It seems that every time I try and save a bookmark to my phone I get an
>error message that the address is too long.

Try (a) trimming off nonessential parts of the URL and/or (b) using a URL
redirection service [e.g., TinyURL].

fred

Never had to do any of that stuff (whatever it is - I'm a novice) with my
ATT&T.

Fred

In <Tc7He.3141$MO.304@lakeread04> on Sun, 31 Jul 2005 12:42:48 -0400, "Fred"
<none@abc.com> wrote:

>> In <c4SGe.3105$MO.818@lakeread04> on Sat, 30 Jul 2005 17:13:42 -0400,
>> "Fred"
>> <none@abc.com> wrote:
>>
>>>It seems that every time I try and save a bookmark to my phone I get an
>>>error message that the address is too long.
>>
>> Try (a) trimming off nonessential parts of the URL and/or (b) using a URL
>> redirection service [e.g., TinyURL].

>Never had to do any of that stuff (whatever it is - I'm a novice) with my
>ATT&T.

What matters is the particular handset -- different handsets have different
limitations.