emosoohay

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003
I've got my notebook connected directly to my desktop's 2nd ethernet port with a cross-over cable. Both systems are listing the connection as "connected" and both systems are sending packets, but receiving none. As would be expected file sharing is not working between the systems. I get a "network path not found" when trying to access the other system.

Any ideas on what the problem is?

Have any links to XP configuration guides for ehternet direct connections (no hub or switch)?

Thanks!

Democracy: subterfuge of statists

sturm

Splendid
Have you tried the network wizard?
What os are you running?
If you dont want to use the wizard, try setting each computer with a static ip address. Make sure both are on the same workgroup. You might have to install ICS also for it to work.
You will also have to share a folder or drive on each computer to transfer files.

emosoohay

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003
I've got both working except for internet access.

One connects directly to my laptop with a crossover cable for file sharing and the other connects to my DSL/Gateway for internet access.

The direct connection for file sharing is working great.

The gateway connection is working except for internet access. I can access the gateway web interface, but nothing beyond it on the internet. Entering the local IP for the gateway, 192.168.0.1 works, but trying, for example, 140.99.45.247 doesn't.

Any links to guides or suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks

sturm

Splendid
Have you tried bridging the two network ports to each other?
Did you install internet connection sharing "ICS"?
You might try this place <A HREF="http://au.playstation.com/ng/internet_connection_sharing_troubleshooting.jhtml" target="_new">Clicky</A>

emosoohay

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003
I got it to work by putting the direct connection on a separate subnet and setting a persistent route for the direct connection.