$1000'ish Heavy Gaming Build - Advice

GuruMenace

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=27114588

Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next week or two.

Budget Range: $1,000'ish

System Usage: Very Heavy Gaming and misc. multitasking at same time

Parts Required: Everything

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, Amazon (USA)

Overclocking: Yes

SLI: No

Monitor Resolution: 1080p 23" LCD Monitor @ 1920x1080 Resolution - Has an HDMI port.

Questions for you:

1. Will the case fit the video card?
2. Since I'm building from scratch, should I just go with the 3570k rather than the 2500k? I heard 3570k runs hotter when oc'ing.
3. Does my PSU satisfy 1 GTX 480 and have the appropriate connections? I think it does right? 1x 6 pin & 1x 6+2 pin connector?
4. Will this max out my monitor resolution by playing games like Crysis 2,3, Batman: AC, Dota 2, etc.?
5. I'm planning on starting with an SSD first and installing my OS on that just for a couple of games at a time. Down the line, I'll pick up a HDD. I'll be installing my OS in AHCI mode.
6. How is the cooling? My PSU is modular and the Haf 912 has some good cable management. Should that be a problem for the infamous gtx 480? I don't plan on SLI'ing 2 gtx 480's so I'm guessing 620w will be enough right?
7. Is the moba appropriate for this? It has the ability to sli but I'm not interested in that. What should I go?

Solution
Im just going to do a quick analysis for you of whats wrong and you questions.

1. Why don't go with a z77 board & get a sandy bridge cpu, go for the 3570 or wait or just go with z68 board which is the safer choice and performance on ivy is 20% greater.
2.PSU is fine, case will support the size of that gpu. GPU Card Lengths Linus shows clearly
3. The card supports the resolution & higher.
4. performance wise it depends on your settings.
5. you need a HDD the sdd won't do anything for game load performance and is just going to take up tons of space.
6. HAF means Hight air flow So as long as you got positive air going into the case your good, HAFs are great for hiding cables behind the mobo try as well I have the 922 myself.
7. like...

Suave145

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Im just going to do a quick analysis for you of whats wrong and you questions.

1. Why don't go with a z77 board & get a sandy bridge cpu, go for the 3570 or wait or just go with z68 board which is the safer choice and performance on ivy is 20% greater.
2.PSU is fine, case will support the size of that gpu. GPU Card Lengths Linus shows clearly
3. The card supports the resolution & higher.
4. performance wise it depends on your settings.
5. you need a HDD the sdd won't do anything for game load performance and is just going to take up tons of space.
6. HAF means Hight air flow So as long as you got positive air going into the case your good, HAFs are great for hiding cables behind the mobo try as well I have the 922 myself.
7. like i said before go with the 3570k or get a z68 board that your probably better off with.

Solution

GuruMenace

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012

Thanks for the quick reply!

@ 1: That's what I was thinking. But since I'm starting from scratch, I keep telling myself to just go with the dang 3570k and be done with it! I think that's what I'm going to do.

@5: I know I'll need the HDD, but I want the comfort of a stable SSD that's got some appropriate storage for an OS install and a couple of games. So don't worry about that. I'll stick with the SSD first. The Crucial M4 128GB is a steal at the moment.

@6: Do you suggest me getting some extra fans or sticking with stock? I have no plans to OC the GPU whatsoever. Just some slight overclocking on the CPU. Also, does the CM 212+ help in cooling the overall system or just the board temperatures?