Sign in with
Your question

Couple things with the HD 6870

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 29, 2012 9:02:03 PM

First off, in my previous thread I mentioned i was getting something like frames overlapping eachother, gameplay and movie were not really smooth. So, I updated my drivers and it actually got MUCH better, a very noticeable difference. The gameplay became very very smooth, and extremely enjoyable. However, I still notice that there is still some slight frame overlapping, especially when watching movies or videos on youtube. I thought the 6870 was a really good card? I used to have a 9600GT and never had any of these problems and I know for a fact that this card is miles ahead of the 9600GT.

Do you guys think that it could be that I'm only running about 2.5GB of RAM, since I'm on WinXP 32bit? Could most, if not all of this frame overlapping go away once I upgrade to a 64bit system and get 8GB of RAM?

Also, I have a question about this AMD Overdrive section in the Catalyst Control Center. Can I use this safely? What do you guys recommend doing? I would definitely like to see how this card reacts to overclocking, but I don't want to damage it.

Thanks!

Btw, here are my specs:

i3-2120 @ 3.30GHz
Sapphire Radeon HD 6870
Seagate Barracuda 250GB 7200RPM
4GB Kingston 1333MHz HyperX RAM
Ultra 550W Dual 12v Rail PSU
Asus P8H61 mobo revision 3
Dell Widescreen monitor, max resolution 1440 x 900

More about : couple things 6870

February 29, 2012 9:17:13 PM

h2l said:
First off, in my previous thread I mentioned i was getting something like frames overlapping eachother, gameplay and movie were not really smooth. So, I updated my drivers and it actually got MUCH better, a very noticeable difference. The gameplay became very very smooth, and extremely enjoyable. However, I still notice that there is still some slight frame overlapping, especially when watching movies or videos on youtube. I thought the 6870 was a really good card? I used to have a 9600GT and never had any of these problems and I know for a fact that this card is miles ahead of the 9600GT.

Do you guys think that it could be that I'm only running about 2.5GB of RAM, since I'm on WinXP 32bit? Could most, if not all of this frame overlapping go away once I upgrade to a 64bit system and get 8GB of RAM?

Also, I have a question about this AMD Overdrive section in the Catalyst Control Center. Can I use this safely? What do you guys recommend doing? I would definitely like to see how this card reacts to overclocking, but I don't want to damage it.

Thanks!

Btw, here are my specs:

i3-2120 @ 3.30GHz
Sapphire Radeon HD 6870
Seagate Barracuda 250GB 7200RPM
4GB Kingston 1333MHz HyperX RAM
Ultra 550W Dual 12v Rail PSU
Asus P8H61 mobo revision 3
Dell Widescreen monitor, max resolution 1440 x 900

It is not likely any additional memory will help with movies and youtube watching. In saying that, personally as did many others, I would upgrade the OS soon. XP is great and all, but it is lagging behind now and I may guess you are waiting for Windows 8. Otherwise if you arent, upgrade to Windows 7 already and move up to the latest 3 year old OS. A great OS at that for gaming.

On the GPU overclocking question, it is very safe to use the builtin overclocking options as in the grand scheme of things, they are actually pretty minor changes. Realize that those overclocks arent going to turn something unplayable into playable in almost every case. Just jump through some of the other forum threads about overclocking the 6870, which is a pretty good card.
m
l
March 1, 2012 12:32:13 AM

Oh yeah, I mean, I wasn't expecting that lol, I just wanted to see if it would smooth out some of the picture and what not, but if it doesn't, then I don't really see any purpose in doing so.

So overall, why do you think I'm having those frame overlapping issues? Do you think it's my card? Is my machine not strong enough to run the graphics smoothly? I thought this was a pretty good build... :/ 
m
l
!