Sign in with
Your question

Apache

Last response: in Networking
May 11, 2011 3:26:17 AM

I have a linux (Fedora 14) desktop wirelessly connected to my wireless router (linksys wrt54g - pretty old). The router connects to my cable modem with comcast connection.
I am trying to figure out how I can make my linux desktop a webserver accessible from outside my home network.
My apache setup is done, I can connect to it using localhost. I also connected the desktop to cable modem directly using ethernet and was able to use the desktops IP address (e.g. http://254.xxx.xxx.xxx:abcdef/index.html) to connect to the webserver (from the desktop browser though, since the wireless router is disconnected in this case, I can't test it from another machine). I also changed the webserver port number from 80 to a random number.

Now I want to get this working over wireless and I am not sure how to do that. I don't have much networking background, so I am not clear about how the IP addressing will work over the wireless network. Can someone please point me to some information about this?
For example, since the router is assigning an IP to the desktop, I am guessing I have to use the router IP address to access the webserver from outside my network. But then how would it get routed to the desktop from the router? The router setup pages didn't seem to have any options to assign ports to a particular IP. Maybe I need to upgrade my router?

This

More about : apache

May 11, 2011 3:30:21 AM

Apoligize for the stupid title and partial text. The forum post happened automatically after I logged in, before I got a chance to review the test.
Anyways, the title should have been "setting up apache webserver behind wireless router.
m
l
May 11, 2011 6:52:55 PM

So your router does not have the option to "port forward"?

If it can port forward... First you will want to create an IP reservation in the DHCP server. Bind the MAC to an IP, then port forward port 80 to the IP you just reserved.

I don't know if comcast port blocks for home users, but if they do.. Change the listening port in apache, and change the port forwarding to the same port... then in a browser type http://Your_IP: PortNumber.

You can also use free services such as No-IP.com, which will act as a DNS forwarder. They also have a nice little utility that updates your dynamic IP to their servers. I believe it will run on Fedora Core.

Good luck!
m
l
Related resources
May 11, 2011 10:01:56 PM

Thanks tkrl26. I didn't see any option for port forwarding in my router, so does that require an new router? I already changed the portnumber in apache.
DNS forwarding is I guess what's called dynamic DNS? That's the next step, but first I want to be able to access it with just IP address.
FYI this is for learning, I don't really plan to keep a web server running from my home.
m
l
May 12, 2011 9:52:16 PM

atifh said:
Thanks tkrl26. I didn't see any option for port forwarding in my router, so does that require an new router? I already changed the portnumber in apache.
DNS forwarding is I guess what's called dynamic DNS? That's the next step, but first I want to be able to access it with just IP address.
FYI this is for learning, I don't really plan to keep a web server running from my home.

I use to have that router (very good router BTW), it did support port forwarding.

If i remember right I think it was under like a gaming tab.
just look around the menus a bit, I am sure it is in there somewhere.
m
l
May 31, 2011 5:15:42 PM

catsrules...found it in gaming tab, thanks much. I still don't have it working though, but that might be with my server setup. I set the webserver up for port XYZ, the httpd while running seems to confirm it, but I can't access it using something like localhost:XYZ, I need to use localhost:80 still. Need to figure that out first.

m
l
May 31, 2011 10:14:17 PM

Yeah if localhost:XYZ doesn't work then neither will comcast ip:xyz
Have you tried rebooting the server?

I am not sure if this router can do this, but on my router, I could say I want this IP address and this port to be forwarded to this other port. So the local computer will think it is just port 80, but when some one accesses it from your Comcast IP, that would use the other port.
m
l
!