Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

I think my PSU is dead but I'm not sure

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Components
Last response: in Components
August 20, 2012 12:28:30 PM

Last night I was playing Skyrim for the first time in awhile. I just installed a bunch of graphics mods for the game that were probably too much for my system to handle (Phenom II X2 550, Radeon 4870, 4GB RAM). Anyways, after 5-10 minutes my computer just suddenly shuts off and although there is no smoke or anything there was definitely the smell of hot electronics. It wouldn't turn on again. So I unplug my XCLIO Goodpower 500w PSU for a few minutes and let it all sit. After plugging it back in I try to start the machine back up and all I get is enough power to make the fans spin for about 1 second and then its all dead again. I did this probably 5 times over the course of an hour, trying different combinations of components connected, etc. Finally I grabbed my old 300w PSU out of the closet and plugged that in with a bare minimum connected (no GPU, only 1 hard drive) and the machine booted up fine...however after 10 minutes of sitting at the desktop the computer just turned off again, and this repeated itself several times before I gave up completely.

I'm starting to look for a new PSU this morning but it would be nice to know that it really is my problem and I'm not spending money unnecessarily. Aside from that any suggestions on a good budget PSU that can power a 4870 (and maybe something more powerful as I need to upgrade soon) and 5 hard drives reliably would be helpful too.

More about : psu dead

a b ) Power supply
August 20, 2012 12:31:03 PM

A 400/500W would be enough for that system (quality ones not cheapo quality ones).
m
l