Why isn\'t my system not booting after installing two more gtx 580 cards

Solution
For a system using three GeForce GTX 580 graphics cards in 3-way SLI mode NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 1200 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 92 Amps or greater and that has at least three 6-pin and three 8-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Continuous Amperage Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most important.

Corsair has only one 1000W power supply unit that has been discontinued. The Corsair Professional Series HX1000W (CMPSU-1000HX), with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 80 Amps and with two 6-pin...

terryd75

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
I'd try disconnecting one of the cards, and see if dual sli will work. if it does, then u have narrowed it down to power, or maybe even a bad card. U may even have to try each card one at a time, to be certain that they all work, etc... good luck!

For a system using three GeForce GTX 580 graphics cards in 3-way SLI mode NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 1200 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 92 Amps or greater and that has at least three 6-pin and three 8-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Continuous Amperage Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most important.

Corsair has only one 1000W power supply unit that has been discontinued. The Corsair Professional Series HX1000W (CMPSU-1000HX), with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 80 Amps and with two 6-pin and four (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is grossly insufficient to power your system configuration with three GeForce GTX 580 in 3-way SLI mode.

The only Corsair power supply with sufficent capacity to handle three GeForce GTX 580 in 3-way SLI mode is the Corsair Professional Series Gold AX1200 (CMPSU-1200AX) with its +12 Volt continuous current rating of 100 Amps and six (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Solution
You need to try the "possibly defective" power supply unit in a known working system or you need to try a known working power supply unit in the system you are trying to troubleshoot.

One way or another you need to determine if there is a problem with the Corsair 1000W PSU so that you can have it RMA'ed if it's still under warranty.

Terry99

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
I think that you are definitely right (ko888). After waiting until the next day my system did boot up I think the PSU might have been over worked from the 580's. Is there a possibilty that the PSU might have been in some type of protection mode so that it could not boot up all the way?

It was probably a protection circuit that wasn't initially given enough time to reset itself.

Antec High Current Pro 1200W (HCP-1200)

Corsair Professional Series Gold AX1200 (CMPSU-1200AX)

ENERMAX SGALAXY EVO 1250W (EGX1250EWT-01)

Seasonic X-SERIES 1250W (SS-1250XM)

SilverStone Strider Series ST1500 (SST-ST1500)

Thermaltake Toughpower 1500W (TP-1500M)

XFX ProSeries 1250W Black Edition Full Modular (Gold) (P1-1250-BEFX)