Solved

Why isn\'t my system not booting after installing two more gtx 580 cards

After installing two more video cards for three way SLI my system is booting it powers up but nothing else
17 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about system booting installing cards
  1. those cards will use a LOT of power. what is your PSU/system specs
  2. 1000 watt corsair psu. Rampage III formula motherboard
  3. UNKSOL is right! Those cards probably need 250 watts each!
  4. I'd try disconnecting one of the cards, and see if dual sli will work. if it does, then u have narrowed it down to power, or maybe even a bad card. U may even have to try each card one at a time, to be certain that they all work, etc... good luck!
  5. I took the two out and left the other one in there and it still didn't boot
  6. It was working fine until I put the other two in it
  7. well if you went back to the original card and it still doesn't work we have a very odd situation... and corsair is usually solid.... do you have a PSU tester? (for lack of a better idea)
  8. Best answer
    For a system using three GeForce GTX 580 graphics cards in 3-way SLI mode NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 1200 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 92 Amps or greater and that has at least three 6-pin and three 8-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Continuous Amperage Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most important.

Corsair has only one 1000W power supply unit that has been discontinued. The Corsair Professional Series HX1000W (CMPSU-1000HX), with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 80 Amps and with two 6-pin and four (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is grossly insufficient to power your system configuration with three GeForce GTX 580 in 3-way SLI mode.

The only Corsair power supply with sufficent capacity to handle three GeForce GTX 580 in 3-way SLI mode is the Corsair Professional Series Gold AX1200 (CMPSU-1200AX) with its +12 Volt continuous current rating of 100 Amps and six (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.
  9. Thank for your help So how do I get the system to boot back up. After taking out the other two cards it turns on but no beep I don't have a psu tester
  10. You need to try the "possibly defective" power supply unit in a known working system or you need to try a known working power supply unit in the system you are trying to troubleshoot.

One way or another you need to determine if there is a problem with the Corsair 1000W PSU so that you can have it RMA'ed if it's still under warranty.
  11. the tdp of a 580 is only 250 watts. manufacturer recommendations are rediculous and unless that corsair is faulty or he's running a ton of extra junk it should have been fine. story likely the problem but if it is corsair screwed up
  12. Best answer selected by Terry99.
  13. I think that you are definitely right (ko888). After waiting until the next day my system did boot up I think the PSU might have been over worked from the 580's. Is there a possibilty that the PSU might have been in some type of protection mode so that it could not boot up all the way?
  14. Can you recommend a good PSU That will power my system now and in the future
  15. Terry99 said:
    I think that you are definitely right (ko888). After waiting until the next day my system did boot up I think the PSU might have been over worked from the 580's. Is there a possibilty that the PSU might have been in some type of protection mode so that it could not boot up all the way?

It was probably a protection circuit that wasn't initially given enough time to reset itself.
  16. Do you think that I should go with the corsair 1200 or is there a better one out there I don't care so much about the name I just want quality
  17. Terry99 said:
    Can you recommend a good PSU That will power my system now and in the future

Antec High Current Pro 1200W (HCP-1200)

Corsair Professional Series Gold AX1200 (CMPSU-1200AX)

ENERMAX SGALAXY EVO 1250W (EGX1250EWT-01)

Seasonic X-SERIES 1250W (SS-1250XM)

SilverStone Strider Series ST1500 (SST-ST1500)

Thermaltake Toughpower 1500W (TP-1500M)

XFX ProSeries 1250W Black Edition Full Modular (Gold) (P1-1250-BEFX)
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx SLI Graphics