Time for an upgrade, any help?

Hey all, I've been trying to decide how to upgrade my PC to be able to play most things on a triple monitor setup (3 small monitors 1366x768 native) until now I've had no real trouble, but I'm starting to have to run things without all the bells and whistles which is getting a bit old. I'm an EVGA fanatic so I've been a little biased on card selection. Currently I'm running 2 EVGA 8800 Ultras and am having a bit of trouble deciding on how my money would best serve me. I've found the same cards going on auction sites for around $80-$100 so i could do 3 or 4-way sli, until now I've only ever done Sli with 2 cards. I'm not sure if i should go that route, or since I've found GTX 480's are going for $249.00 should I get 2 of those? Or should i spend more money and wait for the new 680/780 when they come out? I don't want to spend over $800 and I'm not looking forward to having to upgrade again for at least a year. My case has great airflow and even with my cards over clocked and over voltage I'm having good temps even with the cards being so old. Right now I'm just looking for the best cost/power ratio. I would prefer to run an Sli setup and don't mind having to buy another card in a year or so to keep up with the times. Any help is greatly appreciated. Specs below.

EVGA 131-GT-E767-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 SLI 3 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i7-980 Gulftown 3.33GHz LGA 1366 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor BX80613I7980
Corsair Dominator 12GB (6x2gb)
2 x EVGA 8800 Ultra
EVGA Classified SR-2 100-PS-1200-GR 1200W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

I should add that I'll be getting higher res monitors shortly as well, and budget is around $800 I'm done being on the bleeding edge of tech, it just costs too much. But I would like to be able to crank the settings back up on everything again, and I'd like some DirectX 11 goodness.
2 answers Last reply
More about time upgrade help
  1. best card out there for power is the 7970

    I am assuming you want to stick with Nvidia so maybe just wait to see what comes out soon if you think you can wait. Prices of current gen may go down more, so you can keep an eye out on those while waiting to see what is released.
  2. If I was that concerned with having the most powerful I'd wait for the next gen from Nvidia, the rumor mill may be just that, but from what I've read it seems to be more promising to go with the Kepler on the newer gen stuff, plus EVGA's step up program is excellent. I honestly don't care about using Nvidia over ATI really, but if getting the newest gen is more worth the money than an sli or crossfire setup with last gen I'd rather wait to see the actual benchmarks from the new Nvidia cards before making the decision to drop that much on a single card. Waiting 3 months for a true comparison between Nvidia and ATI makes more sense to me then just snatching up the newest piece of shiny tech, then feeling like a twit if I could have waited 3 months for something superior.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics