Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Looking for opinions for my first custom build.

Last response: in Systems
Share
May 5, 2012 10:13:48 PM

Hi forum, I'm new to these forums and have been recommended to check this place out for help!

What I have here is what I think would be good for my first custom built computer. I'm not looking for awesome graphics right now. Just something new and quick. What I need from you guys is your opinions and suggestions on parts, accessories, necessities for putting it together, where to buy, etc.

Here is a link to my newegg wishlist: Newegg wishlist


Thanks a lot in advance!

More about : opinions custom build

May 5, 2012 10:15:34 PM

Edit: I'm trying to stay between 1500$ and 2000$
May 5, 2012 10:19:56 PM

That seems like a solid build, although i would though recommend to also buy a 64 GB SSD to install your OP onto for fast boot up and to also install anything else you need access to.
Related resources
May 5, 2012 10:27:46 PM

Everything looks fine except the ram and OS. Pick up DDR3 1600 over the 1333. The OS you have selected is upgrade only. You will want an OEM copy.

May 5, 2012 10:30:05 PM

remo220 said:
That seems like a solid build, although i would though recommend to also buy a 64 GB SSD to install your OP onto for fast boot up and to also install anything else you need access to.


Thanks for the input. Is it actually considerably quicker to look into having an SSD?
May 5, 2012 10:31:07 PM

slomo4sho said:
Everything looks fine except the ram and OS. Pick up DDR3 1600 over the 1333. The OS you have selected is upgrade only. You will want an OEM copy.


Do you really have to an OEM for a fresh mobo? What ram would you recommend in that case?
May 5, 2012 10:52:35 PM




Thanks a lot for the input.

Now I've never really looked into cooling. Would anyone recommend something other than the oem heatsink and fan?
May 5, 2012 11:01:51 PM

jrmurph3 said:
Thanks a lot for the input.

Now I've never really looked into cooling. Would anyone recommend something other than the oem heatsink and fan?


Well you are going with the i5 3550 so I would assume that there is not going to be overclocking. In which case there really isn't much need for an aftermarket cooler unless the case is very poor circulation which is also will not be the situation with your case selection.
May 6, 2012 11:21:12 PM

jrmurph3 said:
Thanks for the input. Is it actually considerably quicker to look into having an SSD?

Yes, because an SDD has no moving parts and is essentially a large flash drive, as it uses flash memory. Thus it is much faster, also because it doesn't have moving parts, it will last longer.
!