Sign in with
Your question

Boot Problems with First Computer Build.

Last response: in Systems
May 5, 2012 10:45:43 PM

Hello all,
I have been saving up for a custom pc project for MONTHS, and I'm having a very aggravating problem.

Before I describe my issue, I will list the specs first:

1) Intel Core i5-2550K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor

2) MSI P67A-GD53 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

3) Two EVGA SuperClocked 015-P3-1582-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Cards

4) SILVERSTONE ST1200 1200W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

5) SAMSUNG Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Combo Model SH-B123L LightScribe Support - OEM

6) SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

7) SilverStone RAVEN RV02-BW Matte black 0.8mm Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

I hooked everything up, made sure the proper cables were connected, triple checked everything, and hit the power button. Everything begins booting up, and about five seconds later, it shuts off. Two seconds later, it starts back up. This process repeats itself until I unplug it.

I know some may be saying the motherboard is faulty. This was my first "diagnosis." So, I ship it back to MSI for an RMA. I was sent a BRAND. SPANKING. NEW ONE yesterday, and commenced assembly yet again.

No change, still boots up and powers off. The only other possibilities I can think of are the CPU, the power supply, and MAYBE the hard drive.

Any and all help is appreciated. I'll even try to get you a 12 pack of beer or whatever else you want if I can get this problem solved.
May 5, 2012 10:50:41 PM

Hi there,

What RAM do u have?
m
l
May 5, 2012 10:51:49 PM

What boots, windows or BIOS?
m
l
Related resources
May 5, 2012 10:52:27 PM

Did u do a clean Windows install?
m
l
May 6, 2012 4:15:16 PM

Sorry for the delay in replying, never got an email saying anyone posted.

I have 8gb ddr3 ram, and I tried booting with only one stick in and even with no sticks.

Neither bios nor windows boots, it doesn't stay on long enough to even show anything on the screen. I haven't even been able to install windows :(  It's looking like it may indeed be the power supply or CPU?
m
l
May 6, 2012 5:06:05 PM

What's your memories base voltage at?

Check your motherboard manufacturers website and check their tested to work memory list.

A power supply tester will run you about 35-50 dollars if you want to pick one of these up even if your PSU is fine you will know without having to RMA and it's good to have a PSU tester anyway.

Thermal compound applied to the CPU correct?

Also do you even get a POST beep from the speaker?
m
l
May 6, 2012 5:11:20 PM

No beep, that's been one of the things I've been paying real close attention to
m
l
May 6, 2012 7:37:35 PM

Is the power for the GPU plugged in?
m
l
May 6, 2012 7:53:58 PM

Did u set it up outside of your case first?
m
l
May 6, 2012 9:50:00 PM

I did have the graphics card plugged in correctly.

I disconnected everything from the psu except for the mobo and CPU, and the same problem happens.

Unless there's such a thing as just barely too much thermal paste, then yes it's on correctly.

The ram speed is 1600. I went to msi's site to look at the tested to work page. It supports 1600, but the brand that I have is NOT on the list.

So I'm thinking of doing a couple of things. First, I'm going to get a different brand of RAM and a psu tester, the ram just because I'm so paranoid at this juncture that I want a brand shown on the tested to work page. The PSU tester because before I spend any further money, I want to make sure things are as they should be.

Once that is out of the way, I will replace the CPU.

Or do you think I should do the CPU step first?
m
l
!