Sign in with
Your question

Forum interface is missing certain features (now)

Last response: in Forum Feedback
May 22, 2012 7:19:38 PM

I'm not certain that these are actual bugs in the forum, or things which need to be configured (either on the forum, user profile options, or my Windows IE8)? There is no STICKY available about the following forum operations.

The problems are:

(1) There is no 'Search' dialog box visible, unless it's the one at the top of the screen. I'm referring to searching within the particular forum I'd be on.

(2). When replying to a post, I see no 'Advanced Text Options' bar, such as Bold, Italic, Link image, etc. Why not? Or, how do I get it to become visible, again?

(3). There is no User Login link in the upper-right corner of the web site and the forums -- except for those inane 3rd-party links to Facebook and Twitter. I wil --never- use either one, but apparently, those are the only way to actually login to something. Tom's Hardware Guide and Forums has no "Login" option.

Even this post I'm making now has no visible means of using Advanced Text Options.
May 22, 2012 7:42:59 PM

1. Right. There is none.

2. Are you using the quick reply or are you clicking on the "add a reply" button? Those should all be available under the latter.

3. There should be. Just under the Twitter/Facebook buttons. How is it you are logged in then?

It sounds as if the problem is on your end. Are you logged into the correct site? The correct URL for this post is
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/34504-12-forum-interf...

Related resources
May 23, 2012 12:34:18 PM

Thanks for the reply, randomizer. I right-clicked the link you provided, so that it would open in a new window. Yes, that link does provide dialogs to search in forums. I'm not sure that it searches only withing the forum I might be viewing at that time, though? I'll have to try it later. In any event, I don't see where or how I can access that dialog while I'm in any particular forum.
May 23, 2012 12:47:36 PM

Proximon, thanks! By the way, both randomizer and I have the large, black "Add A Reply" buttons under our posts, but you don't have one. The only way available to me to 'reply' to your post is to use the one at the very bottom of all the messages that says "Quick reply."

Ref: Your reply to #2. When I used "Add a Reply" to randomizer, I did NOT see the Advanced Text tool bar. It just isn't there.

Ref: Your reply to #3. There is nothing under the FB/Twitter links. The only way I finally got logged in the other day was to 'trick' your forum. It wasn't recognizing my Login Name and/or Password, so I attempted to write a post (knowing that it would 'then' ask me to enter password, etc., and I guessed that it would also include a link to "restore my forgotten password", which it did! Since THG has no "user login" option (except for the way I forced it to show one), I had to experiment. It worked as a clumsy solution to finding a link to logging in and to resetting my password.

I'd send a screen capture of what I see, but there is no 'Advanced' toolbar with a "attach image" option!!

There must be SOME WAY to configure something in this forum to show those things. They used to be there for me.

What else can I try, even if it might be something on my system settings?
May 23, 2012 12:49:55 PM

Kreelor said:
I'm not sure that it searches only withing the forum I might be viewing at that time, though?

It isn't going to restrict the search to the forum you're currently in (because you're not in any section if you follow that link). You will need to select the appropriate section from the dropdown. It's not ideal but it's the best search option available.

Kreelor said:
In any event, I don't see where or how I can access that dialog while I'm in any particular forum.

You can't without a direct link. That was my point; it has been hidden away and I don't know why ;) 
May 23, 2012 2:25:52 PM

Randomizer, yesterday, or the day before, I read the bug posts about THG forums. There are way too many, and most didn't receive replies. Not very encouraging, to say the least. After all, THG -is- comprised mainly of forums!
May 23, 2012 7:36:18 PM

There is only ever two black reply buttons. One in the original post and the other under the final post. Each individual post has blue text in the bottom right corner that says "Reply to Kreelor" or whoever. You seem to have this blue text missing, and the blue text that is the forum login is also missing for you. You have a blue text issue :) 

Try installing IE9, Firefox, or Chrome. If you don't want to do that, The easiest thing might be to try to fix your IE8 installation
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

June 23, 2012 6:28:05 PM

Proximon said:
There is only ever two black reply buttons. One in the original post and the other under the final post. Each individual post has blue text in the bottom right corner that says "Reply to Kreelor" or whoever. You seem to have this blue text missing, and the blue text that is the forum login is also missing for you. You have a blue text issue :) 

Try installing IE9, Firefox, or Chrome. If you don't want to do that, The easiest thing might be to try to fix your IE8 installation
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

My new Win7 64-bit computer has IE9 browser installed. I can use either the 32-bit version of it, or the 64-bit version of it. Nevertheless, both versions do NOT show that I'm logged in, nor do they recognize my email address and/or password.

Only on rare occassion can I find myself logged in, and that happens sporadically when I click on a link in an email sent to me when your system notifies me automatically that someone has replied to my post(s). It doesn't always work.

Does this forum run with IE9 64-bit browser? Does it require anything like Java to be installed? There must be some way to configure my system or your forum so that I can login and have it remember me each time I return. Those items are not visible for use.

EDITED, 30-seconds after posting the message, above: I just now got logged in. It's the 1st time I've ever been able to. BUT... I HAD TO LOGIN FROM THE POST I WAS MAKING, SINCE I CANNOT LOG INTO THE FORUM INITIALLY UPON VISITING IT. That's still the issue.

Please help.
Thanks,
Larry
June 23, 2012 9:01:49 PM

I don't know what to tell you Larry. Cab you see the color blue on your screen at all? Perhaps your issue is actually with your monitor.
June 24, 2012 6:28:22 AM

Try firefox.
!