I just want opinions on my next build

Gaimz

Honorable
May 5, 2012
Hi guys, I just wanted opinions about my next build. The main utility is gaming. Let me know what you think!

case: Coolermaster Haf X EATX Tower Case Black 6X5.25 5X3.5INT No PS Front USB3.0
cpu: Intel Core i7 2700K Quad Core Unlocked Hyperthreading Processor LGA1155 3.5GHZ Sandy Bridge 8MB
mobo: ASUS Maximus IV EXTREME-Z Rog LGA1155 Z68 4PCI-E16 PCI-E4 PCI-E1 Lucidlogix Virtu Motherboard
psu: OCZ FATAL1TY 1000W ATX 12V Individually Sleeved Modular Power Supply 140MM Fan 80PLUS Gold
ssd1: Crucial M4 SSD Micron C400 64GB 2.5IN Solid State Disk Flash Drive SATA3 6Gbps
ssd2: Crucial M4 Micron C400 256GB 2.5IN SATA3 SSD Solid State Disk Flash Drive With Data Transfer Kit
disc driver: ASUS BW-12B1ST Blu-Ray Writer 12X BD-R 16X DVD+R SATA Black Retail
ram: Corsair CMZ16GX3M4X2133C11R Vengeance Red 16GB 4X4GB DDR3-2133 CL11-11-11-27 Quad Channel Memory Kit

I want to oc the cpu but im not sure what cooling system i'll use.
for graphics im entirely sure about what gtx 680 model to get..was thinking about the Asus direct cu 2 in Sli or a 690..if im lucky enough...

This is it:)

If gaming is your primary concern theres absolutely no point in an i7, I would save yourself some money and get the 2500k.

No game on the market today currently utilizes HyperThreading and is not likely to in the future. Theres only 2 games on the market that use the 4 physical cores of a CPU let alone the "pretend" cores of HyperThreading.

Likewise, 16GB is overkill for a gaming system. Take it from someone who learned the hard way. 8GB is plenty.

As far as a cooler, with the money you save, you can go with a big dog watercooler like a Corsair H100.

Gaimz

Honorable
May 5, 2012

Thanks for your reply,
for the cpu i was thinking more about the 2 mb plus of cache...I won't be using the HT anyways...don't you think the cahe is a + when gaming?
and for the ram you're absolutely right...I just build a system with what I tought would be good...but you're right...16 instead of 8 will more likely slow my computer.
I,d like some more opinions about *pre-made* water cooling solutions...are they worth it or should I just build a system myself...is there a big difference in term of cooling?

juniiflow

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011

you are talking about the i5 2500k? , the 2500k is a good processor in this time? because i am just been trying to go to the top and get the i7, even tought i like AMD, evebody says the intel "i" series is better for gaming, but not for multi tasking, as the AMd is better for multitasking.

i dont want to start a war about this.

Not really. There are entire generations of AMD CPUs that have no L3 Cache at all, Athlon IIs for example, are almost identical in design to Phenom IIs, so it makes for easy comparisson. Gaming performance does suffer slightly as a result of the lacking L3 cache, maybe 15 percent. However, you're not really in this situation with the 2500k, as its not that the 2500k has no cache at all, just merely less.

You can see here with the 2600k (which has 8mb L3 cache) there is no difference in the gaming performance. Both of them in most cases are able to substantially exceed the frame rate limitation of the computer monitor (which is 60 frames per second- thats the magic number you want to shoot for in gaming)..
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/288?vs=287
As far as Intel vs AMD, those are fighting words on this forum. I'm not going to go there too greatly since we're discussing an Intel system. But yes its true that Intel is better for gaming, however the fact in dispute is how much better they are and how much it translates to in practical experience vs "on paper". Most times the gaming performance of your system is more reliant on the quality of your video card more so than the CPU. Since again most computer monitors are limited to 60FPS (your computer could send 1000 FPS to the monitor and it wont make a lick of difference), the difference becomes theoretical. But don't get me wrong, if you have the money, which in this case you do, the i5-2500k is the superior choice.

-edited for missing link :eek:

That depends. No website that I have seen benchmarks how well a CPU performs when multitasking (browsing in multiple windows), gaming while watching Netflix or something like that. The problem as it exists right now as I see it is that Intel has a pretty big price gap between their dual core i3 CPUs and their quad core i5s ($130 for the best i3 and $180 for the cheapest i5 respectively). Now I wouldn't say that AMD is better for multitasking, it really depends on what your system usage is.

Generally speaking the i5-2500k can do anything, gaming, and multitasking should not be a problem for it, but you also have to pay a bit of a premium for it, (around $220, although I have seen it for 180 at MicroCenter as an "in store only special")

The remaining Phenom IIs and now the 8 core Bulldozers (which are really just quad cores that "pretend" to have 8) fall in between that price gap of Intels duals and quads. Logically, the less cores of the i3 may be a factor when you're talking multitasking or running software that is capable of making use of more than 2 cores (currently most games do not use more than 2 cores) so I'm talking things like video editing, video encoding, compressing large files, etc. The i3 uses HyperThreading but its not quite the same performance-wise as having 4 REAL cores.

I can back up my theory (again its merely an semi-educated one), with these results, which clearly show an advantage on applications that call more than 2 cores into play. Now don't get me wrong, the i3 holds its own pretty well for what it is, but the Phenom IIs are also a generation older than the i3-2100 using several year old architecture.

Quad core Phenom II vs i3 dual
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/362?vs=289

6 core Phenom II vs i3 dual
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/289?vs=203

8 core Bulldozer vs i3 dual
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/289?vs=434

i3 dual core vs its own counterpart quad core i5-2400
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/289?vs=363

6 core Phenom II vs i5-2500k quad
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/288?vs=203

*Note to anyone who would dare troll* These comparisons are not an attempt to claim or disprove one is better than the other, merely depict a comparison of how the number of cores on a CPU can have an affect on system performance outside of gaming.

Gaimz

Honorable
May 5, 2012
Thanks again for your reply!

but my mind is made up and I never planned buying an AMD...I was undecided between 2500k, 2550k, 2600k and 2700k....since there is only 100$ between top and bottom I'll make it an easy choice with the 2700k. I reconsidered the quantity of memory...still im undecided between 8 or 16 gb because the price of those...which are not too bad for 16 nowadays. I'll order a corsair h100 for cooling as well. I hope this will cool good enough compare to a home built system.

I will propably make the order at the end of the day..so if you stil have suggestions on my setup I'll appreciate it more than likely!

Oh no, definitely don't get me wrong. I was never trying to talk you into an AMD. The only reason I brought it up for that part of my post was just to give you an idea of the cache difference since you asked.

Theres no modern Intel CPU that I'm aware of that is designed without an L3 cache to offer up a comparison, however, you can disable your L3 cache in BIOS and run performance tests. I think you'll find the performance difference to be minimal.

The h100 is a very good liquid cooler. As far as the difference between 8 and 16. By all means if 16GB is in your budget go for it, but you will probably find as I did that I've never even managed to use up 8GB on my system.

Gaimz

Honorable
May 5, 2012

I f you had 350$ to spend for a cpu, what would you buy?

Gaimz

Honorable
May 5, 2012

what setup would you build with 3000$ then:)
I'm so undecided whenever I might click the confirm order button I hesitate.
The ssd, the cooling system and the maximus formula V makes me hesitate

The only thing I,m sure of is the gtx 680 setup with the 2700k now, ohh and of course the Haf X case

I'm of the opinion that even for an extreme gaming rig 3000 dollars is far more than one needs to spend on components that in 4 years will be "yesterday's news"

What is the advantage of the maximum formula V motherboard? Okay, it has 4 RAM slots that can hold a total of 32GB of RAM right?

4 SATA III ports
4 SATA II ports
8 SATA ports total

Its got 10 USB ports, 8 of them are 3.0 (big deal. do you really need more than 2 of them?)
It will take up to 4 video cards, (although to actually use more than 2 video cards is ridiculous)

It costs $340 dollars for all this

---
Now how about this one for 180?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131792

Same RAM details, takes up to 4 8GB sticks
Same Z68 chipset
Takes up to 2 video cards
2 SATA IIIs (which gives you the ability to run a RAID of 2 SSDs)
4 SATA IIs.. (so a total of only 2 less SATA ports)
8 USB ports (2 USB 3.0s and 6 USB 2.0s)

Based on those features, I don't see how I could justify twice as much for a motherboard.

Now the GTX 680 is a good choice I would stick with that.

Gaimz

Honorable
May 5, 2012

I've got a couple of good reasons which are to me more *futereproof* if I may use that term
First the pcie lanes...will be fully used with your board in sli
Second the z77 chipset
And of course the next audio card on it (supreme fx 4)

Perhaps, hey man its your computer and you're money, you're the one that has to be happy with it. You asked, so I gave my perspective on it. Me personal I'm not much of an audiophile, nor someone who has the use for more than a single video card.

If you need anything else, gimme a hollar. :)

Gaimz

Honorable
May 5, 2012

As i said I wanted opinions and thats what you did:)

I'm happy to get people opinions...i'm kinda new to building pc. But really enjoy a well built system with high-end components to play the latest games at their full potential.
It,s a kind of challenge..the only thing i dont like is that I have to order via the web to get those nice parts!!