Weird PC monitor problem

overheat

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
My PC monitor came with a HP OEM machine, and i have used it without trouble in my new build for 2 months. This morning when i turned on my computer i noticed something was wrong first when the monitor didnt show the AsRock logo POST screen and didn't show the starting windows animation and it only started showing something on the windows log-in screen but the resolution was horribly wrong. So i logged in and went into the Windows monitor settings and it showed the monitor as "Generic Non-PNP monitor" instead of recognising the monitor correctly as HP something, when i tried to set the resolution to the screens native 1680x1050 the screen went black and obviously didnt support the resolution and it reverted back to 1200x800 or so.

I tried to use the DVI port on my GTS 450 via VGA-DVI converter and the problem remained, i tried changing the VGA cable but the problem stayed, i also noticed that the monitor didnt recognise when it had no signal like it used to and i finally tried using my television as a monitor and it worked, it was recognised as generic non-PNP but it allowed me to change the resolution.

Does this mean my monitor is broken? Its atleast 5 years old.