Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New Build Help: BSOD

Last response: in Systems
May 5, 2012 11:53:34 PM

I just recently built my new system, and it's been fine except the past two days it has gotten BSOD.

Here are the parts:
-Intel 2500k Processor
-ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 Mobo
-Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 GFX Card
-WD Caviar Black Sata2 750GB HDD
-Sony Optical Drive
-G.Skill 8GB Ripjaws X Ram
-Antec 650W PSU

I have no idea what is wrong.

More about : build bsod

a b B Homebuilt system
May 6, 2012 12:06:44 AM

Looks to me like you've got a problem in your graphics stack somewhere. I want you to do the following for me and report back. If the bluescreens are persistent you should be able to do most of this in safemode

1. Ensure that your system firmware is at the latest version. A number of manufacturers have released fixes specifically for the Radeon 7000 and its new power saving features. You can get this from ASRock's website

2. Get the latest DirectX files by running the DirectX Web Installer (google will find it for you easily)

3. Install the latest Catalyst driver suite, currently version 12.4. You can get this from www.amd.com. Older versions of Catalyst that shipped with many cards are full of post-release bugs but the new drivers are pretty good

4. Install the latest chipset and storage drivers for the Intel 6 series chipsets. These can be obtained from www.intel.com
m
l
May 6, 2012 12:25:33 AM

1. I am currently downloading the newest updates on ASRock's website. The only ones released since my build was one for "Intel Management Engine driver ver:8.0.2.1410" and another for "VGA driver ver 15.26.1.64.2618".

2. The DirectX Web Installer said I was running the most current version.

3. I updated the AMD Catalyst from 12.3 -> 12.4.

4. I installed the newest Chipset driver that was released on 5/3/12.

I am not getting constant BSODs. It has happened twice in the past two days and I was wondering/worried of what it could be.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
May 6, 2012 2:08:59 AM

1. You shouldn't base your update history on when you built your computer, especially the firmware. The only way to verify that the firmware is up to date is to check it manually. If the motherboard has been sitting in a warehouse or on a store shelf for a long time it could be out of date. I know for a fact that Asus released a couple of firmware updates to better handle the Radeon 7000 series cards

4. The Intel Management Engine, Chipset Drivers and Rapid Storage Technology Drivers should be obtained from www.intel.com and not from ASRock's website. Most OEMs such as ASRock and Asus do a pretty good job of pulling them in to their own sites but can sometimes be up to a month behind or more. Intel will always have the latest on their website and they are the same for all Intel motherboards regardless of manufacturer.

Thankfully your diligence made it very easy for me. Your BSOD dump shows the cause of the BSOD to be dxgkrnl.sys which is the directx graphics kernel module. Additionally, the offset is the same for each BSOD which means that it was the same problem each time, a set of software updates should fix it.
May 6, 2012 2:16:32 AM

Pinhedd said:
1. You shouldn't base your update history on when you built your computer, especially the firmware. The only way to verify that the firmware is up to date is to check it manually. If the motherboard has been sitting in a warehouse or on a store shelf for a long time it could be out of date. I know for a fact that Asus released a couple of firmware updates to better handle the Radeon 7000 series cards

4. The Intel Management Engine, Chipset Drivers and Rapid Storage Technology Drivers should be obtained from www.intel.com and not from ASRock's website. Most OEMs such as ASRock and Asus do a pretty good job of pulling them in to their own sites but can sometimes be up to a month behind or more. Intel will always have the latest on their website and they are the same for all Intel motherboards regardless of manufacturer.

Thankfully your diligence made it very easy for me. Your BSOD dump shows the cause of the BSOD to be dxgkrnl.sys which is the directx graphics kernel module. Additionally, the offset is the same for each BSOD which means that it was the same problem each time, a set of software updates should fix it.

Thanks for helping, if anything else comes up I'll pm you or something.
Thanks again!
m
l
May 6, 2012 2:16:42 AM

Best answer selected by darkclownjoe.
m
l
!