Sign in with
Your question

Will this CPU fan [noctua NH-D14] fit in my case?

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Cases
  • CPUs
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
August 20, 2012 8:36:23 PM

Hey there...

Do you think that the Noctua NH-D14 [160mm height with fans] will fit in my istarUSA 4U e-40 rackmount case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ? The rackmount case has a height of 170mm. It also has a bar across the top for securing pci cards, and this bar might kill some headroom [see link for pics].

My Motherboard will be an ASUS pro lga 2011 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Another fan that I am considering is this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Do fans like my alternative choice cool less effectively when blowing into the sides of a case rather than towards the rear?

More about : cpu fan noctua d14 fit case

a b ) Power supply
a c 109 à CPUs
August 20, 2012 8:39:07 PM

It would maybe fit, case looks a little like a server case....
m
l
August 20, 2012 8:49:18 PM

jay_nar2012 said:
It would maybe fit, case looks a little like a server case....

If my 2nd choice will be as effective, I'll just go with that. But I have no idea what ramifications are when blowing air into the sides of the case rather than towards the back. All the rear vents of the case are at the top in a strip, so if the C type fan gets the hot air to the top and it goes out those vents, it could work even better?
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
a c 109 à CPUs
August 20, 2012 8:50:42 PM

Well hot air naturally rises so it should be alright how it is.
m
l
August 20, 2012 9:01:30 PM

jay_nar2012 said:
Well hot air naturally rises so it should be alright how it is.

So you're saying that the C type fan will work well?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a c 109 à CPUs
August 20, 2012 9:03:25 PM

No i said that the fans should be fine how they are but the C type fans (like laptop ones i guess) would work a little better.
m
l
August 20, 2012 9:06:35 PM

jay_nar2012 said:
No i said that the fans should be fine how they are but the C type fans (like laptop ones i guess) would work a little better.

Ok. "fine as they are" implies that there are cpu fans in there already. Not the case. I need to make a decision for a new build.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a c 109 à CPUs
August 20, 2012 9:12:26 PM

Are you talking about the case or heatsink?

I was talking about the heatsink....

The case comes with 1 case fan (i,m a little confused).

The heatsink comes with 2 fans.

The mobo comes with no fans....
m
l
August 20, 2012 9:16:36 PM

jay_nar2012 said:
Are you talking about the case or heatsink?

I was talking about the heatsink....

The case comes with 1 case fan (i,m a little confused).

The heatsink comes with 2 fans.

The mobo comes with no fans....

Ha sorry for the confusion. I'm trying to figure out the CPU fan/heat sink assembly that goes on the motherboard. The noctua CPU coolers come with a heatsink and fans(s).
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a c 109 à CPUs
August 20, 2012 9:21:44 PM

The heatsink you,ve got in your link has two fan, i think they both make the air flow through the heatsink in one direction, (in one way out the other).
m
l
!