Windows 7 does not detect networking hardware even with ethernet

dorker

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
Hi all,

I can't get Windows 7 to recognize my Actiontec PK5000 router. Because the router is just behind my comp, I used an ethernet connection in Windows XP which worked just fine. However, when I try to connect in Win7, no networking hardware shows up.

My current workaround is to use a USB wireless card (A MyEssentials somethingorother) and it picks up the network just dandily.

I could not find any firmware/driver updates for the PK5000, and I'm not sure if any have been put out (correct me if I'm wrong).

Pleas help!

Is this Windows 7 on the same system as XP was? Maybe the installation hasn't found drivers for your ethernet or wireless network adapters Some older hardware just won't upgrade to Windows 7. The router won't need upgrading and it doesn't care what system you're running.

Try finding drivers for anything in Device Manager which have yellow marks beside them, using your wireless dongle to get online and let the system search for them..

dorker

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009

Hey, thanks for the reply.

Ok, so I guess the router doesn't care, but apparently Win7 needs a driver for the 'ethernet controller.'
The device mgr says there is no driver for the ethernet controller, and I have been unable to find one online or from the list of adapters windows has (no PK5000 present).
Could I find the driver I'm looking for somewhere in WinXP? If so, where is it located?

Thanks for the help.

Right click the adapter in Device Manager then go to Properties andd to the Details tab. Take a note of the four characters which follow VEN for Vendor and the four after DEV for Device.

Input those in the two box at http://www.pcidatabase.com and follow the links to the maker's site to find a driver. It may not work in Windows 7 - you may need to buy another PCI card to fix this but a USB wireless dongle would be a much cheaper option.

dorker

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009

Hi,

I did as you asked, but unfortunately the ethernet controller isn't just out-of-date, it's nonexistent. Windows 7 doesn't even think it's there.
Is this thing not compatible with Win7, or do I just need to find the driver somewhere in the XP files and tell it where to look?

-dorker

dorker

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009

No, no, that's not the problem. Win7 knows it's there and connected, but there's just nothing the OS can do about the drivers.