Sign in with
Your question

Will this yield a noticable performance increase?

Last response: in CPUs
August 20, 2012 9:11:42 PM

Current Rig (This computer's job is to run video games):
PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM3 125W
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) 4 sticks, totaling 8GB
EVGA SuperClocked GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 two of these, in SLI

#1: I am looking for a new processor, and have been suggested the FX-4170 in the past. In your opinion, would this provide me with a noticeable performance increase? My only concern is a games FPS.

#2: What processor(s) do you suggest other than the FX-4170? I am only willing to buy an AMD processor, since my motherboard only supports AMD processors.

--- Thank you kindly!
a c 850 à CPUs
August 20, 2012 9:15:31 PM

I would sit tight until Piledriver (next gen FX) is released! 3rd quarter was the prediction!
m
l
a c 105 à CPUs
August 20, 2012 9:33:44 PM

getting the 4170 would be a lateral move from a phenom II x4. i would OC your CPU to 3.8ghz and cross your fingers for piledriver to deliver
m
l
Related resources
a c 218 à CPUs
August 20, 2012 11:58:05 PM

At some point you may want to consider a switch to Intel and yes that would mean a motherboard change. You would be inproving your FPS to a much higher level and then your options would be better.
You only have to look at this chart to see the reason why I said to change.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o...

This is a cpu gaming chart of the best gaming cpus from the top(best) to the bottom (worst) and you can't help but notice that the first two levels, and those are the highest ranked cpus are dominated by Intel. So much so that the first two levels only have Intel cpus.
So if your only concern is gaming and FPS then you can't help but think about getting the best.
Of course you can hope that AMD can finaly deliver a cpu that can compete with Intel , with thier upcoming Piledriver cpu. If notjing else they do come up with great names for thier cpus.
m
l
a c 471 à CPUs
August 21, 2012 12:49:56 AM

Skip the FX series, it's a waste of money if you already have a Phenom II.

I would wait for PileDriver. My guess is that performance will increase by 10% (assuming same clockspeed) compared to Phenom II / FX. That would roughly put PileDriver on the same performance level as the 1st gen Core i3/i5/i7 released back in 2009.
m
l
!