Sign in with
Your question

Strange issue with graphics cards

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 1, 2012 4:36:39 PM

Hello there, I'm helping my friend put together a new computer and we're having a bit of an issue. Originally, we were using a GTX 460 for the video card, but unfortunately, the power supply did not have enough PCIe connectors to power the card. Before we figured this out, we booted the machine and installed Windows, and the computer worked fine on the motherboard's onboard graphics.

So after figuring out that the GTX wouldn't work with this power supply, we decided to use a Radeon HD 5770 instead. Now, the computer will still start up and everything, we just can't get anything to show up on the monitor. We have no idea why and are out of ideas.

I'm not sure what other kinds of information you'll need, but if anything else is necessary, I'll do my best to give it to you guys. This is my first post here and I would really appreciate any kind of help you guys can give.

Thanks a lot!
a c 218 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
March 1, 2012 4:47:20 PM

What make/model of power supply are you using? Did you connect the external power connector to the HD5770? Also, are both the 24-pin and 4 (or 8)-pin power connectors firmly connected to the motherboard?

Please clarify.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
March 1, 2012 4:52:56 PM

GTX460 and HD5770 both require external power connectors, so not sure why you could use one and not the other......?

Besides, video cards come with pci-e to molex adaptors, so the psu doesn't need to have a pci-e power connector, you can still use it with the adaptor.

Since you failed to mention the power supply in question(duh), nobody can really help much.
m
l
Related resources
March 1, 2012 4:57:08 PM

Quote:
GTX460 and HD5770 both require external power connectors, so not sure why you could use one and not the other......?

Besides, video cards come with pci-e to molex adaptors, so the psu doesn't need to have a pci-e power connector, you can still use it with the adaptor.

Since you failed to mention the power supply in question(duh), nobody can really help much.

The GTX460 requires 2 6-pin connectors, while the HD5770 only needs one.. and we didn't get any such adaptors. :/ 
m
l
a c 218 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
March 1, 2012 5:06:06 PM

The PSU should be fine as long as it is operating normally. Have you tried the HD5770 in another system to verify that it is working?

m
l
March 1, 2012 5:12:42 PM

Yes, I took it out of another system that was already working. Unless I somehow damaged it from system to system, it should be working.
m
l
a c 218 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
March 1, 2012 5:26:57 PM

I would verify that before bashing my head any further.
m
l
March 1, 2012 5:30:08 PM

In the event that the HD5770 is faulty, why does it boot up?
m
l
a c 218 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
March 1, 2012 5:34:09 PM

Even a defective card may send the necessary signals to the motherboard (that a video card is present) so that it will boot. I assume you can access the system remotely to verify that it actually boots successfully. Is that correct?
m
l
March 1, 2012 5:37:49 PM

This may sound ignorant (my lack of knowledge is why I'm here in the first place :p ), but no.. I've been simply assuming it's booting because it's powering on and running. >.<
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
March 1, 2012 5:40:27 PM

So you can't get either card to work....did you plug in the 4/8 pin cpu power?

m
l
March 1, 2012 5:42:46 PM

The CPU power is indeed plugged in..
m
l
!