Sign in with
Your question

Lowest amount of CFM to be considered as good?

Last response: in Components
August 20, 2012 11:59:11 PM

I don't know how to word this question but if you can get a general idea of what I'm talking about, that would be great.
Everything has a bottom line, lowest amount, the least you can do. What is the lowest amount of CFM that would be considered adequate or good?
August 21, 2012 12:15:12 AM

It all depend on how hot it got on your computer.
August 21, 2012 12:21:49 AM

my 7850 doesnt get hotter than 65c at max load and my cpu never gets hotter than 60 at load
Related resources
August 21, 2012 12:28:45 AM

There is no "lowest amount of cfm that would be considered adequate or good" that can be applied to every situation. Every system will have different airflow needs.
August 21, 2012 12:30:13 AM

So what amount of CFM would you recommend for me then? Also, I think I worded my first post wrong. I was talking about CFMs for each fan that I would buy
August 21, 2012 12:32:04 AM

How much CFM you need depends heavily on how much power/heat you need to get rid of and how efficient air flow within the case is, where efficiency would be the percentage of air that picks up meaningful amounts of heat vs how much air goes through without picking much/any heat.

If you have a case with a pair of 120mm front intake and a pair of 140mm fans at the top, the front 140mm will have the most direct path to the 120mm fans and most airflow from the 120mm front fans will go straight up that fan without picking much/any heat since there are almost no significant heat-dissipating components in that path... maybe 15W from HDDs/SSDs and 10W from motherboard components near the inner edge.
August 21, 2012 12:46:03 AM

daiwek said:
So what amount of CFM would you recommend for me then? Also, I think I worded my first post wrong. I was talking about CFMs for each fan that I would buy

Hi :) 

The HIGHEST amount of cfm you can find from a fan....thats what you want....nothing else...

All the best Brett :) 
August 21, 2012 6:38:22 AM

I prefer high Cfm fans on a fancontroller, that way you can tweak them to low speed for quiet cooling or crank them up for performance cooling for gaming/clocking sessions
but as Brett said, highest you can get at a noise level you can live with is what you want
Moto
!