Motherboard choice based longevity

calfee20

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
I moved this from the motherboard forum because I wasn't getting any action there.

Does gigabyte use better PCB material or is it all hype? and who makes the strongest thickest most rugged board.

The manufactures I am interested in are Asus, Asrock, and Gigabyte. I tried a bunch of different searches here and on the internet and haven't been able to answer this question. I will listen to all comments and thank everyone for any time spent....................Tom C

More info:

I keep my PC's a long time. Currently using an Asus P4T533. Previous board a SuperMicro P6DGU which worked until I pulled it apart a couple of weeks ago.

I have already started the build. I pulled apart my old super micro 750A case and installed a couple of 120mm fans and this Hdd box which has another fan.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/12637/cpa-559/Lian_Li_EX-36B1_Internal_HDD_Mount_Kit_Supports_35-inch_HDD_x_4_and_25-inch_HDD_x_2_-_Black.html?tl=g34c273s852

I have also cut in and installed an Antec cp850 power supply and I am trying to figure out a motherboard. I am going to buy a SSD and to save money the cheapest CPU for now "anything is better than what I have". I will also use a fairly new 500 gig IDE hdd and IDE plextor DVD-R

I have been looking at:

Asrock Z77 professional........it has an IDE port
Asus P8Z77-V pro........I have a PCI ATA adapter board so an IDE port isn't a huge factor.
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H......almost solely because of the PCB hype

I am not a gamer but I lean toward a good board just in case I get a crazy idea about something. For instance my first HDTV source was that super micro board with a Telmann Hipix card. The main crazy idea now is a 4 drive raid 10 CD library.........anyway sorry if I rambled ther for a while .......Tom C

Solution
yes, gigabye boards are noticeably heavier than asus ones at least.

I recently upgraded to an asus board and was shocked at how much lighter it felt.

does that actually make it stronger or last longer though? I'm unconvinced. A PCB is hardly going to fall apart after a few years as it is.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
nowadays, and decent board from a good manufacturer should last long into obsolescence.

just buy a good gigabyte/asus/asrock etc. as long as it has the features you need, it will do fine.

they well still just be sat in a PC case, and have components rated for a minimum of 50,000 hours on-time. that's as a bare minimum.

slomo4sho

Distinguished
What exactly do you mean by longevity? Upgradeable coupled with endurance or just endurance?

As it stands, the new socket type to be introduced next year by Intel will may any current platform obsolete. And almost all manufacturer's have a minimum of a 2 year warranty. From my experience, just pick the features you want at the lowest price point.

slomo4sho

Distinguished

Its funny that you would say that. The BIOSTAR TZ77B, which is the cheapest Z77 motherboard on Newegg, also has a 3 year warranty which is equivalent to that of the ASUS P8Z77 WS (the highest priced of the lot).
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138352
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131822

Apollo_is_Dead

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012

Thanks for clarifying. Other boards in the Sabertooth line have a 5 year warranty. I'm not sure why Asus dropped it for the Z77. Even so, it's probably a safe bet that it'll outlive the biostar. I mean c'mon, thermal armor and military-grade components has to count for something.

slomo4sho

Distinguished
Lets see. Most systems sit in the same spot collecting dust. Durability then just depends on the boards ability to continually provide support for the mounted video cards and CPU cooler.

Military-grade components mean what exactly? Extra durable for mobility? Can stop a bullet? Kevlar laced?

Don't you think a horizontally mounted motherboard would have greater endurance than a "military-grade" motherboard mounted vertically?

Apollo_is_Dead

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012

Besides looking awesome, the board can handle a lot of the abuse from overclocking and high thermal loads. So, you can push the system to higher levels of performance over longer periods.

calfee20

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
I looked at the Sabertooth but those two little fans bother me. I can picture them being or getting noisy. Has anyone used or seen one in operation.

I also understand that in a couple of years everything will be obsolete. My P4T533 that I use now will play 1080P but I wish it was faster unziping files and working on photos. I recently had to replace my AGP video card with something from ebay and the ATA Hdd was a little hard to find local a couple of years ago, now forget it. This is why I can't put off a new build any longer. I can't waste another cent on it.

I know the physical strength of the board doesn't matter as much as other things but it is just the way I am about products. I am very attracted to Gigabyte's ultra durable advertising spiel. I was just wondering if you were holding a Gigabyte in one hand and another board in the other hand would the Gigabyte appear stronger thicker stiffer? After all I maybe hanging some heavy copper heatsink off of it.

While I was typing this it dawned on me that I can take a ride up to the Micro center in Boston and do that myself. Fifty bucks in gas is a third of a mother board. Oh Well that's what happens when you sell your Hybrid and keep your truck......Tom C

welshmousepk

Distinguished
yes, gigabye boards are noticeably heavier than asus ones at least.

I recently upgraded to an asus board and was shocked at how much lighter it felt.

does that actually make it stronger or last longer though? I'm unconvinced. A PCB is hardly going to fall apart after a few years as it is.

Solution

calfee20

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. I have decided to get the Gigabye GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB WIFI as soon as I can shake loose some funds. I like the way Gigabyte is proud of the construction of their board.......Tom C