New i5 3750k/GTX 680/ASUS P8Z77 V - Deluxe Build....

Stenr Reisa

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Have a quick question, getting highish temps when under load on my CPU, is it because I did not put any thermal paste on the CPU? When I was going to, I looked at the bottom of the heatsink and saw some grey stuff pre applied which looked just like thermal paste. Was I wrong?

If that is not what is causing me to get high temps, could it be my mobo bios version? I have not tried to update it but should I? What else could it be?

I am actually still in the process of downloading windows updates for windows 7, could that have something to do with it? Because when I first started the temps were fine, only after downloading two or three rounds of windows update did the temps start to go up.

It goes as high as the low 70's C. What gives? Thanks.

That was pre applied thermal paste. Give it some time...day or two for the paste to set up. If the temps still don't come down after that then try reseating the heat sink. Best bet though is to spend $25 on a CM 212+. It comes with good thermal paste and it's quieter than the stock intel h/s.

Stenr Reisa

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
OK, i figured it out, the fan settings were bad, I went into bios and set them to go to 90% when the cpu gets to 59 dec C, and now the cpu temp stays low. Do those settings sound good?

rexdale_punjabi

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
It's alright, but if you have that good of a pc I'd suggest you get a Coolermaster Hyper 212+ and use it. Dual fans maybe too much if you aren't overclocking but the stock intel hs is essentially use-less.

IMO they should just cut $15-20 off the price if you ask them to not include it.

What kind of case do you have, and how many case fans, what is your psu, and do you know which ones are intake/out-take.

Also, please go into the bios and check the voltages they may be set artifically high. Idk about IB volts (wheter they're higher or lower than SB) but I know that SB is commonly over-volted by mobos for no reason. Esp. if you overclocked it.

Stenr Reisa

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Thanks for the reply, no i dont plan on overclocking (right now) as it can handle w/e i throw at it already. I guess I will go ahead and order that CM, but at least now I can game on it w/o going that high. I have a CM Haf-x 942 blue edition with 4 fans (ordering a 5th top fan) and i believe the one on the front is intake. CM 1000w Gold PS as well.

Stenr Reisa

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
OK, for anyone interested, I installed the CM cooler and my temps dropped ~25 degrees under load, from 65 to less than 40. Half my fans dont even come on anymore so its well worth it!

Right on! I love that cooler. :) $25 well spent.