Norton Ghost 9

Can anyone give me any pros or cons on Norton Ghost 9? I can't get the
program to restore a backup. Contacted Symantec and received nothing that
would help me. Any help w/b appreciated.

--
Lavert Bryant
Powder Springs GA

This mailbox protected from unsolicited email by Spam X-terminator
from StompSoft http://www.stompsoft.com
8 answers Last reply
More about norton ghost

    The latest version of Norton Ghost is now Drive Image.

    If Norton Ghost 9 is the latest version, when you do your backup be sure to
    check the box on the last screen in the backup process that says "Verify
    Backup Image After Creation"

    If your backup file does not "Verify" you will not be able to use it for a
    restore. You will not know this until you go to do a restore. That is why it
    is important to do the "Verify" at the time you backup.

    You might want to do a Ghost backup again and request the "Verify" and see
    what happens, if you didn't do this the first time.

    "Lavert" <b_lavert@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > Can anyone give me any pros or cons on Norton Ghost 9? I can't get the
    > program to restore a backup. Contacted Symantec and received nothing that
    > would help me. Any help w/b appreciated.
    >
    > --
    > Lavert Bryant
    > Powder Springs GA

    > This mailbox protected from unsolicited email by Spam X-terminator
    > from StompSoft http://www.stompsoft.com

    Thanks for your reply. I did not check verify option. Did not know to do
    that. I will do another backup and do just that. Thanks again.

    --

    "cookoonest" <cookoonest@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > The latest version of Norton Ghost is now Drive Image.
    >
    > If Norton Ghost 9 is the latest version, when you do your backup be sure
    > check the box on the last screen in the backup process that says "Verify
    > Backup Image After Creation"
    >
    > If your backup file does not "Verify" you will not be able to use it for a
    > restore. You will not know this until you go to do a restore. That is why
    > it
    > is important to do the "Verify" at the time you backup.
    >
    > You might want to do a Ghost backup again and request the "Verify" and see
    > what happens, if you didn't do this the first time.
    >

    > "Lavert" <b_lavert@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    >> Can anyone give me any pros or cons on Norton Ghost 9? I can't get the
    >> program to restore a backup. Contacted Symantec and received nothing
    >> that
    >> would help me. Any help w/b appreciated.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Lavert Bryant
    >> Powder Springs GA
    >>
    >> --
    >> This mailbox protected from unsolicited email by Spam X-terminator
    >> from StompSoft http://www.stompsoft.com

    All NORTON Products is totally garbage , I have seen more
    people with problems using Norton garbage then anything
    else ... Norton is truly a total waste of money

    Your opinion is noted but I like Norton/Symantec products. The 2005 version
    of Internet Security is great, it automatically configures it self for
    networks access. Good firewall, good anti virus, good spam program. I
    think they are great.
    > All NORTON Products is totally garbage , I have seen more
    > people with problems using Norton garbage then anything
    > else ... Norton is truly a total waste of money

    The other possibility is that the version of Norton Ghost 9 that you
    have is not compatible with the DVD drive you have. The part of Ghost
    that talks to the drive is actually supplied by a company called Gear.

    Click on the link below (or cut and paste it into your browser) to
    download the latest recorder configuration files available from GEAR
    Software:

    ftp://downloads.gearsoftware.com/updates/windows/recorders/GEARwrks351

    Then do a find and replace on your computer to update the old files.
    If, after updating your configuration files.

    That is worth a try if for no other reason than to update your version
    to the latest one.

    Hope that helps

    Noel

    "Jim" <jcmios@n-connect.net> wrote in message
    > Your opinion is noted but I like Norton/Symantec products. The 2005
    > version of Internet Security is great, it automatically configures it self
    > for networks access. Good firewall, good anti virus, good spam program.
    > I think they are great.
    > <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> All NORTON Products is totally garbage , I have seen more
    >> people with problems using Norton garbage then anything
    >> else ... Norton is truly a total waste of money

    Since this subject came up...I used Norton for about five years on three
    different computers and had a lot of trouble with it...so when I got my
    current computer I asked for McAfee. The big problem I've had with McAfee is
    that all of the screens the program draws truncate the bottom portion,
    namely the buttons to click on to take any action.

    I checked with their support people and was given a list of changes to my
    font size, themes, etc. to fix the problem. I've followed all of their
    suggestions, normal size fonts, windows classic theme, even played with
    screen resolutions that made the fonts so small I could hardly see them to
    change them back. Nothing made any difference. Of yeah, I also set the color
    scheme to 16 bit as I was told that might make a difference. On the
    desktop/display properties/settings/advanced tab I have "normal size" 96 dpi
    fonts selected. My normal screen resolution is 800x600.

    It's hard for me to believe that this problem is so rare that it took McAfee
    support over half an hour to come up with any suggestions at all, and none
    of them help. When the basic one year subscription is over I would like to
    try yet a third "anti-virus" software. I must admit I haven't tried Norton
    with XP, just Win95 and WinME. It gave me fits on both of those platforms.
    Any suggestions?

    Larry Davis

    AVG....and it's free.
    What more do you want?
    HTH

    larryonline wrote:

    > "Jim" <jcmios@n-connect.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Your opinion is noted but I like Norton/Symantec products. The 2005
    >>version of Internet Security is great, it automatically configures it self
    >>for networks access. Good firewall, good anti virus, good spam program.
    >>I think they are great.
    >><anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>All NORTON Products is totally garbage , I have seen more
    >>>people with problems using Norton garbage then anything
    >>>else ... Norton is truly a total waste of money
    >>

    > Since this subject came up...I used Norton for about five years on three
    > different computers and had a lot of trouble with it...so when I got my
    > current computer I asked for McAfee. The big problem I've had with McAfee is
    > that all of the screens the program draws truncate the bottom portion,
    > namely the buttons to click on to take any action.
    >
    > I checked with their support people and was given a list of changes to my
    > font size, themes, etc. to fix the problem. I've followed all of their
    > suggestions, normal size fonts, windows classic theme, even played with
    > screen resolutions that made the fonts so small I could hardly see them to
    > change them back. Nothing made any difference. Of yeah, I also set the color
    > scheme to 16 bit as I was told that might make a difference. On the
    > desktop/display properties/settings/advanced tab I have "normal size" 96 dpi
    > fonts selected. My normal screen resolution is 800x600.
    >
    > It's hard for me to believe that this problem is so rare that it took McAfee
    > support over half an hour to come up with any suggestions at all, and none
    > of them help. When the basic one year subscription is over I would like to
    > try yet a third "anti-virus" software. I must admit I haven't tried Norton
    > with XP, just Win95 and WinME. It gave me fits on both of those platforms.
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Larry Davis

    Try V-Coms System Suite5, Uses Trend AV and has lots of other goodies.

Configuration Norton Microsoft Customization Windows XP